Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current system is:

Yamaha rx-v471 receiver
Mirage Omni C150 for center
2 Mirage Omni 550 for front
2 Mirage Omni 150 for surround
Infinity BU-2 subwoofer

I use this only for watching movies/tv. I recently got a projector, so the huge screen just makes my sound seem that much more weak. My room is 12'x12'.

My primary problem is that dialogue is low volume. This is confirmed by YPAO, which tries to set the center channel at +6 dB. This, of course, is not a good idea and results in lots of distortion. The Mirage center only has a sensitivity of 87 dB.

I am thinking of replacing at least the front speakers with something more efficient. I would probably go with all bookshelf speakers like maybe 3 Klipsch RB-61 II or RB-81 II. I may even get 5 identical speakers. It seems like this may sound ok and I could replace the receiver to something with more power later on if necessary. Or I could just get a more powerful receiver and see if that helps the Mirage speakers. I also plan to replace the sub at some point. I've had it for almost 20 years but still works fine, although it's a bit boomy.

What does everyone think? It looks like many people battle the problem of weak dialogue. I want to make sure I fix this if I start spending money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 19
A new receiver won't change much. I'd get a new front 3 speakers and a new sub.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

A new receiver won't change much. I'd get a new front 3 speakers and a new sub.

It actually could, if you bought a better receiver you could possibly play at the higher volumes with less distortion - it won't do much for how loud you can play, but you may get a cleaner sound
It made a big difference to my system when I upgraded my receiver to a more powerful one.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
OP what is your budget?.... I would start with front 3 speakers and sub. But if you got a better receiver you could do a 7.1 to 9.1 setup using PLIIz, NeoX, or DSX and have a front wall of sound with side surrounds but no rear surrounds as in a 12' room you probably don't have room behind the seating position. And yeah 5, 7, or 9 identical speakers would be great. But the front 3 are most important.

Shawn
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen View Post

It actually could, if you bought a better receiver you could possibly play at the higher volumes with less distortion - it won't do much for how loud you can play, but you may get a cleaner sound
It made a big difference to my system when I upgraded my receiver to a more powerful one.

What receiver to what receiver though? The only real upgrade over a rx-v471 would be going to a large flagship 40 lb receiver, which are worth way more than the speakers
post #6 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I could spend $1000 on the front 3 or maybe $1500 if I was replacing all 5 speakers.

I'm willing to wait awhile for a good deal. So I could watch for something even more expensive to go on sale. I could probably also go higher in price if I don't end up replacing the receiver.

I will get a new sub after I get the center channel issues resolved.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 952
fwiw, look at the ascend acoustics cmt 340 se and cmt 340 se center and a pair of cbm 170's for the rear $1212 ship.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Maybe it sets your center so high because your sub is too loud? Try turning down the volume on your sub and recalibrating.

What are the other speaker levels?

What about a Mirage OMD-C1 center?

Your Omni 150 center was really a rebadged Athena LS 100 speaker. wasn't even an omnipolar design.
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/products/ls-c100-overview/

Afro GT
post #9 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Great sale at newegg.com on KEF speakers. I've heard the towers and center before, you wont have a problem with clairty and detail with these babies.

KEF iQ70, $199 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882156011

KEF iQ60 center
http://www.kefdirect.com/iq60c-center-channel.html

I've seen the center as low as $250 at Newegg as recently as last weekend.They'll probably get it in again.

in a 12 x 12 room with a sub they'll be outstanding.

Afro GT
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe it sets your center so high because your sub is too loud? Try turning down the volume on your sub and recalibrating.

What are the other speaker levels?

What about a Mirage OMD-C1 center?

Your Omni 150 center was really a rebadged Athena LS 100 speaker. wasn't even an omnipolar design.
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/products/ls-c100-overview/
Edited by afrogt - Yesterday at 10:31 pm

YPAO set the sub to -10 dB. It set the surrounds to -1 dB, The front speakers to 0 dB, and the center to +6 dB.

There was almost no bass at that level so I set the sub back to 0. I wouldn't consider the sub to be loud at this level. Like I said, it's kind of boomy, so I don't run it too hard.

I didn't think about this too much. Looking around the forums, it seems there are plenty of other people where YPAO messes up the sub.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yeah I'm not a fan of YPAO.... Try turning the gain on the subs amp down then rerun YPAO and see if it comes in with a different number.

Shawn
post #12 of 13 Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great sale at newegg.com on KEF speakers. I've heard the towers and center before, you wont have a problem with clairty and detail with these babies.

KEF iQ70, $199 each
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882156011

KEF iQ60 center
http://www.kefdirect.com/iq60c-center-channel.html

I've seen the center as low as $250 at Newegg as recently as last weekend.They'll probably get it in again.

in a 12 x 12 room with a sub they'll be outstanding.

Would it be a good idea to get 3 IQ70s and use one of them for the center channel? My projector screen is mounted high enough that an IQ70 would fit under it.

As for receiver upgrade, what about the Harman Kardon 3600? Refurbs on ebay go for $400 and have warranty. It seems much more powerful with the discrete channels than my Yamaha, and it has pre-outs. Or is there something I'm missing and this is a waste of money?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by stch View Post

Would it be a good idea to get 3 IQ70s and use one of them for the center channel? My projector screen is mounted high enough that an IQ70 would fit under it.
As for receiver upgrade, what about the Harman Kardon 3600? Refurbs on ebay go for $400 and have warranty. It seems much more powerful with the discrete channels than my Yamaha, and it has pre-outs. Or is there something I'm missing and this is a waste of money?

Yes. A vertical matching speaker is preferred to a horizontal speaker:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page