Benefits of Upgrading my Denon AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Guys,

I am currently using an old Denon AVR-487 receiver which has only one HDMI port and doesn’t carry/do 3D. Currently, I am running an optic cable from my TV to the Denon for only the sound. All my video inputs go directly to my TV.

My question is that what would be the benefits of upgrading my receiver? I was looking to purchase the Denon AVR-2312ci. I am also looking to change my speakers (my old Denon came with 5.1 speakers) to something much more substantial. Would there be a substantial difference in the sound quality by upgrading or am I better off keeping the receiver and look instead on spending more on speakers instead?

My end goal is to have a pretty kick-ass sound system to go with my Panasonic 65” VT-50 as I found out that sound through the TV alone is pretty sub-par.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Sorry, I meant to post this in the receievers section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 351
What video sources do you have, please list them?

By upgrading to the 2312 you'll get more power, better room calibration and the ability to decode TrueHD and DTS-HD if you have a blu ray player. Plus Airplay, internet radio, on screen display, 7.2 capability, etc, etc.

Sound from the TV will always been sub par when compared to a good hometheater system.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have PS3, Xbox and wii. I'm using the PS3 as my blu-ray player.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 801
The DHT-487DV was a HTiB and you're dealing with what, five year old technology? By putting everything through your television, you're asking a sports car to be a pickup truck as an AVR is the home theater work horse while the television is a sports car with a utility rack. Buying a current receiver will upgrade the whole home theater experience or, you can stay with trying to use your sports car as a pickup truck. Yes, it can be done. tongue.gif

In other words, what afrogt posted. biggrin.gif

Home theater electronics is the type of pursuit where, like it or not, periodically, one is going "HAVE" to upgrade their receiver. That's just the way it is and yes, manufactures do it on purpose to keep our cash flowing in. Personally, I find it to be a win/win situation in that they get to have access to our hard earned money and we get new, cool toys to play with; win/win as old technology is obsoleted out and new technology is ushered in. That's just the way it is and when one spends effort trying to find workarounds to new technology so as to recycle old technology to save money, that's all they're doing, kidding themselves as they bust their tails to find workarounds to prevent having to succumb to the need to upgrade to current technology.

(The above does not apply to hobbyist who revel is playing with old gear, for the sake of playing with old gear.)

FWIW, with the recent purchase of a Marantz, SR5007, we upgraded our home theater AVR to current technology. I love our SR5007 and after using it for a couple of months and surfing the web in detail to help with other people's questions, nothing has succeeded in turning my head. For me, personally, I find the SR5007 hits the perfect price/feature middle ground. We made the purchase so as to upgrade to current technology and we purchased with the understanding that three, four or five years down the road, once again, we'll be on the market looking for an upgrade to accommodate future, yet to be created, technology. The point, that's just the way it is.

My concern for you regards the AVR2312Ci or the AVR2313Ci due to the lack of a full set of pre-outs. Should one later decide they'd like to upgrade to an outboard amplifier, unless I missed seeing a full set of pre-outs on the back of the unit, well, let's face it, without a full set of pre-outs, the buyer of the unit is SOL. In the case of a Marantz, SR5007, it comes with a full set of pre-outs and to me, this is a very, very, very important future casting feature. What good is life if one doesn't have the option to upgrade their amplifier section? tongue.gif

In the end, I encourage everybody to do what makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Hope the above rambling insight helps answer your questions and concerns.

-
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Definitely worth upgrading. But figure out your budget for speakers, sub, and receiver first. You might get better audio quality buying a slightly lower model Denon and putting the money towards speakers/sub. If you have to buy in stages, I might even start with the speakers first.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your valid points of view. I'm now in the process of shopping for speakers and it's quite daunting. I figured that my budget needs to go up a bit in order for me to achieve that great setup I desire.
Hey Beeman, i heard a lot of great things about Marantz and I've been considering to look into that - I've been a Denon fan but like you said, the lack of pre outs would put you in a corner.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page