Speaker Recommendations for Small symmetrical room $300 preferable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello forum members,

I'm hoping I could get a little help, after searching the forums for recommendations I've purchased a Denon AVR2112CI from amazon. Now onto the speakers... After reading and reading for more then a week I've come to conclusion that I would be better served by just asking.

The only prepackaged set up I've considered is the Polk Audio RM705 5.1 (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM705-Theater-System/dp/B000WGJX5A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top), but from what I've read there seems to be a general consensus amongst the "those in the know" that this is a bad idea. Upgradibility seems to be key, which I can appreciate.

So, what I'm looking for is something that will give me high quality sound for both movies and music(flac included) but doesn't need to be overpoweringly loud, I'm a full time medical student with roommates, needless to say we don't throw parties and spend lots of time studying. My room is rectangular and symmetrical and if I had to guess (no tape measure.. Ya I know who doesn't have a tape measure?!? Pens and Pencils is all I find myself needing here) maybe 10-12x14-16. My television is in the center of one of the ~11ft walls.

I'd like to keep this as near $300 as possible... $500 ceiling firm. I'm not opposed to refurbished/used and live in Atlanta.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
With some sale codes from Newegg, you can get the earlier versions of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers (two floorstanders, center, rears at $270) at excellent prices.
hyghwayman and asmit238 like this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I will 2nd the Andrew Jones speakers, as they are excellent speakers at full price and at the prices I see now they are just flat out AWESOME speakers.
asmit238 likes this.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Along with the options already suggested, a few others that are worth considering are:

asmit238 likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The new version of the Andrew Jones speakers are priced well at Tiger Direct right now. You could get tower fronts, center, and rear bookshelves for $400.

Most who have heard both say the 2nd version is a step up. Based on my experience with the C21 and new C22, I have to agree.
asmit238 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The new version of the Andrew Jones speakers are priced well at Tiger Direct right now. You could get tower fronts, center, and rear bookshelves for $400.
Most who have heard both say the 2nd version is a step up.

They are a step up - and worth the price. If you do not want towers, then the BS22 bookshelf
is a nice step up from the BS21. Mate this with the Energy S10.3 >>> and you will have a real
nice budget system. You can save up and use the BS21 for surrounds >>> when they go back
on sale.
asmit238 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
fwiw, boston acoustics a 360's from accessories4less $400 pair( they now have them in black also) imo great build, great drivers ,great sound,great bargin and worth the extra cash
asmit238 likes this.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the recommendations I'm leaning heavily towards the energy 5.1's. While I would love to purchase an upgradeable system I can't see myself having the disposable income anytime soon as this only my first year of medical school. Any last minute critiques of the set?

Thanks again for all the recommendations I would have never found any of these on my own.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 13
I can not speak to the others but I am an owner of the Energy take 5.1 classics. I have had them for about 2 years and I really really like this set. The sound after calibration is really amazingly full and can go fairly loud with no sweat. The 8" woofer is also an amazing small sub perfectly matched to the satellites and center. Great package value @ 400 may be able to find them for a bit less than that. Really anything would be up-gradable if you want more sub later fine, If you want better music just upgrade the front two use the extra sats for your backs or front heights.

post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

After further consideration I went with the MLT-2's any tips on proper setup is appreciated.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page