Onkyo + Polk Monitor Series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this setup : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120160
The way I understand it the receiver puts out 130w@6ohms, so I don't know how that translates into an 8ohm speaker.

I have scrapped the front sound stage for:
L/R : Polk Monitor40 (20-125w / 47Hz-25kHz / 8ohm / 89db) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202
Center: Polk Monitor CS2 (20-175w / 50Hz-25kHz / 8ohm / 90db)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212

I am happy with that upgrade so far (although I am still figuring out how to use the full range on the center AND the sub, the amp won't seem to allow it).

I am considering these for my surround L/R: Polk Monitor30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200 (20-100w / 55Hz-25kHz / 8ohm / 90db)
And these for my subs : Klipsch Sub-12HG, BIC America F12 or Premier Acoustic PA-120.

I am primarily concerned with consistency in sound of my component speakers, so I will likely purchase the Monitor30's. They are going to be wall mounted, but I am concerned with their size and potential overkill considering the job of a surround speaker. I don't really care about my surround rears, and will either not use them or just leave the cheap Onkyo's that came with the HTIB.
I REALLY need help with the sub choice. I watch Blu-Rays and listen to music. I would like to spend $200 (BIC), but am willing to go up to $300 (PA or Klipsch) if it offers more flexibility between movies/music and higher quality.

I summary:
Are the Monitor30's overkill? I don't see a smaller wall mount option in that generation of Polk.
Which sub is the best budget sub to fit music/movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The OWM3's will work fine as surrounds, even though the M30 is a better match, it really isn't a huge deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-On-Wall-Speaker-White/dp/B0018QNYXA

The Klipsch RW12D should be a worthwhile upgrade at $300 over the $200 options, because it hits 20hz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078
post #3 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Those OMW3's are 50w. Wouldn't that create a conflict as I turn the volume up and the other speakers are able to handle the higher wattage (125-175w)?

I compared the frequency response between these three subs and the BIC F12 seems to have the widest range. They all start at 24 or 25Hz. Looking at the specs I can't see what would put the Klipsch worth the extra $100. It has a much larger peak power rating, but I'm not familiar with how often an amp goes above the continuous power rating. However, I also know that numbers can mean nothing in terms of performance. I've just heard a lot about the BIC F12. All three of these seem like good options, I just want the best of the three.

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=8&spkrID=84
http://www.klipsch.com/rw-12d-subwoofer
http://www.premieracoustic.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=1222&crid=195
post #4 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The manufacturers rating for the subs isn't relevant. The klipsch was measured to reach 20Hz, while all the others were measured to roll off at 30Hz. The surround power handling won't matter unless you're cranking 5 channel stereo. Surrounds don't receive near the amount of continuous power as the other channels.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

The manufacturers rating for the subs isn't relevant. The klipsch was measured to reach 20Hz, while all the others were measured to roll off at 30Hz. The surround power handling won't matter unless you're cranking 5 channel stereo. Surrounds don't receive near the amount of continuous power as the other channels.

Thanks for the sound advice.

I typically listen to music on the "All Channel" setting. So that will affect the 50w speakers then, correct?
In terms of movies, I have considered just leaving the surround and surround rear crappy little speakers that came with my Onkyo. Advice?

I should know better than to strictly trust manuf. ratings. Is that 10hz enough to justify another $100, or are there more reasons? I get moderate use out of my sub. The BIC F12 seemed to fit the bill at $200, but if the Klip is worth the extra $100, I can be persuaded. I just need a low-mid-range starter sub to wet my whistle. My setup is filling a medium room, and I want the sub to really shine in movies. The one that came with my Onkyo HTIB bottoms out all too easy on some film.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If you do plan on listening in 5 channel mode, then you really should get the M30's. Just want to make sure you are aware that the only recordings that should be listened to with all channels are true 5.1 mixes (like concert DVDs). All other forms of recordings are intended to be listened to in 2 channel stereo, and do sound their best when listened to this way. You are of course free to listen however you like.

That extra 10hz is actually a big deal in regards to subs. You'll never know what you're missing until you experience it, so if you dont have the extra money, you arent really missing anything.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good. The 10hz would be for movies, correct?
Also, for movies, what quality surround/rear surround should I desire? My understanding is that these channels are accent channels, and thus I wonder if Monitor30's would be more than I would need. I'm considering those OMW3's you mentioned, and wondering what the difference would be between the two. Thanks.

I'm excited to watch Inception with whatever upgraded sub I purchase, and I have noticed that in certain scenes I can barely hear the accent/surround sounds with the Onkyo's I currently have.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRizzo View Post

Sounds good. The 10hz would be for movies, correct?

Yes

Also, for movies, what quality surround/rear surround should I desire? My understanding is that these channels are accent channels, and thus I wonder if Monitor30's would be more than I would need.

Yes that would be the case, except for the part about you listen to music in "all channels" mode, which means the surrounds should be a lot closer to the capability of your mains then normally needed

I'm considering those OMW3's you mentioned, and wondering what the difference would be between the two.

Larger woofer in a larger enclosure means higher output capability. There's also OWM5's to consider, which have dual woofers for higher output.

Thanks.
I'm excited to watch Inception with whatever upgraded sub I purchase, and I have noticed that in certain scenes I can barely hear the accent/surround sounds with the Onkyo's I currently have.

The levels for your current setup may not be properly configured.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

What would the next step be over the Klipsch? I'm wondering when investing in a sub if its worth it to just go out with a bang for a long term investment rather than making several small investments in learning.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It'll cost you around $600. The Outlaw EX being on sale for $600 shipped makes it the best option

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html
post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

You've been a big help. I appreciate it thoroughly. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Klipsch tonight after talking with the wife. It should be a major improvement over the Onkyo.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

In the mail. Got it off Newegg's eBay account for $291 ($6 in eBay bucks and another $3 off from my Credit Card).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page