Need help selecting correct system..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I need some help to determine what to purchase. I need a system with CD, radio and ipod dock and 8 speakers (& sub). I am a firefighter and we have a gym on the top floor of the station. It is a decent size room with 3 sections. I am planning on putting the main unit up front with 2 speakers and running wires in the ceiling to the middle for 2 more speakers and the rear with 2 more speakers.
What is a good way to go about this? We are asking our union for the money so I am guessing we aren't going to get more than $500.
Please help?!?!?!?!
Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It sounds like this is a purely music system. Are you intending to have the same stereo source playing to all three pairs of speakers? If so, a standard Home Theater In a Box wouldn't be the right solution as it would play music just from the two fronts. I was able to find 8 channel amplifiers on Amazon for multi-room configurations, but the amp alone is what you have budgeted for the whole thing including speakers.

The cheapest way would be a system with a bunch of separate components. Three stereo amplifiers connected to a common audio source by way of 4 Y-splitters. Also, a source selector box, and a CD/Radio, and a separate Ipod dock. And then 6 speakers and a sub, although the sub you can get at that budget will be too small to do much in a large room.

Such a system would be a Frankenstein system, but I'm I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, I'm not sure there's an all in one system out there that will do what you want given your budget.

If this is what you're looking for, I could piece something together on Amazon to give you a starting point.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Yes, that is correct! I was worried that that is exactly what a home theater sys would do. I would appreciate a starting point....thank you! I just found out that the cops may be contributing (we share the building) so my budget may go up a bit.
I appreciate your help!
Jason
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ok, here it is, one Frankenstein audio system on a budget with zero Wife Acceptance Factor. Perfect for a room full of men!

Please note, this is WITHOUT speakers. If you get these items, you will have about $300 left over to purchase speakers with. You can do a search on Amazon for "Bookshelf speaker pair", and there are lots of options which come up for under $100/pr. But I'm not sure which ones are the good ones in this price range. Hopefully somebody else here can help you pick out 6 decent bookshelves.

Amazon.com

Pyle Home PCA2 80-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier 39.99 x 3 = $119.97
Pyle Home PIDOCK1 Universal iPod/iPhone Docking Station for Audio Output, Charging, Sync with iTunes and Remote Control 21.26 x 1 = $21.26
Coby CXCD251SVR Portable CD Player with AM/FM Radio, Silver 28.11 x 1 = $28.11
RCA DT902AV 2-Way A/V Switcher 11.98 x 1 = $11.98

Monoprice.com

Product ID: 665
6ft 3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug Cable - Black 0.76 x 2 = 1.52
Product ID: 7187
RCA Jack to 2 RCA Jack SPLITTER Adaptor - Gold Plated 0.48 x 2 = 0.96
Product ID: 7186
RCA Plug to 2 RCA Jack SPLITTER Adaptor - Gold Plated 0.48 x 2 = 0.96
Product ID: 5346
1.5ft Premium 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - Black 2.28 x 4 = 9.12
Product ID: 2795
100ft 18AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable 10.41 x 2 = 20.82

Total $214.70

Explanation:

From Amazon, I included 3 stereo amplifiers (40 watts per channel), one ipod docking station, and one CD/Radio. The one I chose has a headphone output. You will use this to output audio to the amplifiers. If you choose to go with a different CD/Radio option, MAKE SURE it has a headphone or line output. If it doesn't, you will not be able to listen to it over your speakers. I also included an 2-way splitter so that you can select whether the CD/Radio or Ipod is playing over the speakers.

From Monoprice, a whole bunch of necessary pieces parts.

To connect it all up:

A note on the RCA cables. If you want to save $9, chances are between everybody in the firehouse, there are 4 RCA cables lying around unused in your homes somewhere. These are the cables with the Red/White ends. A cable with Red/White/Yellow ends will also work. Just leave the yellow end disconnectd.

So there you have it. It won't be pretty, but it will work. Also, you can save some money if one of you already has an unused Ipod dock and unused CD/Radio with a headphone or aux output.

Edit: One other thing. If you get extra money to add a good sized sub, like this one for $449:

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html

All you have to do is connect it in-line with one of the speaker pairs. Doesn't matter which pair, whichever is most convenient.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Lol.

butter and jelly please.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very very much! This is way more than I was expecting. You are the best!
~Jay