Room big enough for 7.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
raypjuarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone. Everyone on these forums has always been so helpful and I just wanted to say thank you ahead of time. I had plans for a big dedicated home theater room in a new home but some unforeseen circumstances have prevented that. Currently I have a room that is 14ft wide and 10 or 11 ft in length. Is this enough room to merit a 7.1 system? For some strange reason I am infatuated with the idea of having seven speakers. I currently have the introductory Andrew Jones Pioneer system powered by a Pioneer VSX521-k. I was going to buy two more bookshelves and a different receiver but want to get your opinion first. I could also buy a completely new system and leave the Pioneer system upstairs. Is 7.1 possible in this room? Any ideas on a different system on a 1k limit?
raypjuarez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by raypjuarez View Post

Hello everyone. Everyone on these forums has always been so helpful and I just wanted to say thank you ahead of time. I had plans for a big dedicated home theater room in a new home but some unforeseen circumstances have prevented that. Currently I have a room that is 14ft wide and 10 or 11 ft in length. Is this enough room to merit a 7.1 system? For some strange reason I am infatuated with the idea of having seven speakers. I currently have the introductory Andrew Jones Pioneer system powered by a Pioneer VSX521-k. I was going to buy two more bookshelves and a different receiver but want to get your opinion first. I could also buy a completely new system and leave the Pioneer system upstairs. Is 7.1 possible in this room? Any ideas on a different system on a 1k limit?

Depends on how the room is layed out. You typically want at least 4-6' or so from the back wall to the seating position. If your seating position is right up against the back wall, I would just stick with 5.1.
ack_bk is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
raypjuarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This room has the weirdest layout ever. It's 14ft in length, but when I hit 14ft there is a stair case that just goes straight up. It's an open floor plan so after the staircase there is a wall. So I could potentially stick the back speakers on the wall behind the staircase but they might now shoot directly towards my ear seeing the the staircase goes up and one of the speakers would basically not hit my ears. Bummer.
raypjuarez is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by raypjuarez View Post

This room has the weirdest layout ever. It's 14ft in length, but when I hit 14ft there is a stair case that just goes straight up. It's an open floor plan so after the staircase there is a wall. So I could potentially stick the back speakers on the wall behind the staircase but they might now shoot directly towards my ear seeing the the staircase goes up and one of the speakers would basically not hit my ears. Bummer.

I don't think it is worth the effort based on your description. I would focus your budget on that new receiver, preferrably something with Audyssey MultiEQ or MultiEQ XT.

What are you using for a subwoofer?
ack_bk is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
raypjuarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess I also see all these 7.1 movies coming out in blu ray and my mouth waters. Feels like I'm missing out on something awesome.
raypjuarez is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
raypjuarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using the sub that came with the Pioneer package. Not the greatest but now that this move isn't going to happen, I have to upgrade equipment if 7.1 is not possible. Would you get a whole new system? Or just upgrade the sub and receiver? I love these pioneer speakers but sometimes I feel like there is something missing.
raypjuarez is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by raypjuarez View Post

I'm using the sub that came with the Pioneer package. Not the greatest but now that this move isn't going to happen, I have to upgrade equipment if 7.1 is not possible. Would you get a whole new system? Or just upgrade the sub and receiver? I love these pioneer speakers but sometimes I feel like there is something missing.

I think the biggest weak spot in your setup is your subwoofer. I would start there. Then get a receiver that has Audyssey MultiEQ then look into your main front speakers. This is not a cheap hobby and once you want more you realize there is a cost that goes along with it. That said, even what you have no is very superior to the built-in speakers that are typically found in TV's that most Americans use.
ack_bk is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off