Can I connect multiple sources to my Paradigm Studio 100'S - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio Return Channel: So my new Panny has this capability, BUT my ANTHEM Pre/Pro does not have the capability to receive ARC. The Anthem is in an AV closet 50 ft away, powered with a Parasound Amp. So what I am thinking is I move my old Onkyo receiver to under the TV, run an audio out (digital) to the Onkyo. So that part is easy.

I have a Paradigm speaker system, L,F,C that is connected to the Anthem. My question is can I run speaker wires from the Onkyo to the Paradigms even though they are wired to the Anthem? This will only be to play Netflix, Amazon etc from the Panny's web interconnect and still get great sound out of my speakers.

Tim in Houston
Anthem D2v(update installed), Parsound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp, DirecTV DVR(3d), LG BDP, Onkyo CD Player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable, Cambridge Audio phone pre-amp, Knoll 50 Amp whole house distribution amp, Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm ADP 690 Center, Paradigm Millenia Rear,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Not possible. Can you run a digital audio cable back to the receiver in the closet?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, this was installed when the house was built so it runs thru heavily insulated(foam walls) and under a second floor. Why can't it be done?

Tim in Houston
Anthem D2v(update installed), Parsound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp, DirecTV DVR(3d), LG BDP, Onkyo CD Player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable, Cambridge Audio phone pre-amp, Knoll 50 Amp whole house distribution amp, Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm ADP 690 Center, Paradigm Millenia Rear,...
post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It can't be done because the speaker can only be connected to one amps at a time. If you ever accidentally turned on both receivers, there would be an mini explosion with current from both amps feed the speakers and essentially shorting each other. actually i don't know what will happen other than atleast of of the components and probably all of them being damaged beyond repair.

I assume you have one set of HDMI and 3 sets of speaker cables running between the rack and the tv cabinet?

one option is to get a niles speaker selector switch and run it in reverse i.e. the speaker end connected to amps and amp end connected to speakers since you have one speaker and multiple amps. you can get one with a remote and then use a programmeable remote to make the whole switching transparent to you.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Makes sense. Thanks

Tim in Houston
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Liked: 10
I say it can be done, unless I don't understand what you are trying to do. I have a set of two in ceiling speakers in the far rear of my theater bar area. I have 7.1 in the theater area. I use a 2 channel amp to feed those rear speakers with the same source when I want to. I also have a 2 channel amp, a cable box, and a TV on that far side that I like to use just for that far side TV on occasion. I have a switch that basically does the opposite of a speaker switch. It's a source switch. I can't find the link for the one I have but this is similar
http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/audio/selectors/oe-iw101.html?key=A27&pk_kwd=OE-IW101I
It will not allow both sources to get to the speakers at the same time therefore eliminating the risk akhter describes.

Pat
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page