Best metal tweeters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Which metal tweeters are considered the best in the world? I gather that Focal and B&W may be among them. Thoughts?

Also, are there any tweeter materials besides metal that produce a similar sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Well, a diamond is a Carbon, not a metal. biggrin.gif

Thus, beryllium may arguably be considered the best Metal tweeter. biggrin.gif

But, as well all know, it's not just the drivers that make the speakers. It is the implementation. biggrin.gif

For example, the RAAL Aluminum or the Coincident Titanium.

Diamond may be considered the best hard dome tweeter by B&W. It is certainly the most expensive. The cheapest aftermarket diamond tweeter is $2,000 each. A pair of diamond tweeter speakers would cost $4,000 for just the tweeters alone. eek.gif

Dang, the B&W 805D2 seems like a bargain at only $4,000 delivered from some dealers ($5K MSRP).

But others from Revel, Focal, Paradigm, RBH, etc, believe that Be is the best driver period.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I have a paper where a person analyzed several beryllium tweeters and found precious little of the metal. In fact the overall elemental composition was quite varied.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #4 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Trying to decide which tweeter is the best by the material is like trying to decide on a tire by the origin of the rubber. It don't make no sense. Many experts feel that ribbon tweeters are the best-sounding, but they have limitations.

On major flaw in most tweeter designs is that they are too directional; a limited dispersion pattern.

The best-performing tweeter I have ever heard is the one used in my speakers, the Gallo Classico CL-3, it has a unique shape and composition that gives amazing performance, and a 180 degree dispersion pattern which lets you sit anywhere in the room without being "off-axis". This is a huge advantage over most other tweeter designs in a real listening environment.

For detailed information, check out the Gallo Acoustics website.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Its all in the crossover design. Expensive tweeter can sound horrible or a cheap tweeter can sound pretty good. I had a chance to listen to some Focal Utopia car speakers using their high end metal tweeter and it actullay sounded pretty good not bright at all. But I'll stick with planar tweeters.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Of the hard dome tweeters I see that diamond, beryllium, ceramic, magnesium, aluminum, gold, titanium are used. Do any of these materials stand out as superior for tweeter construction? Is it just a game of upmanship or do diamonds actually sound good?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Its all in the crossover design

+1

I have the previous generation B&W 600 series and unfortunately find them a little harsh sometimes. In their defense, this isn't a common occurrence, and is usually at louder volumes. I have also heard the 800 series on a number of occasions (not too familiar with Diamond 800 models), which sound much much better, but I don't think that should surprise anyone.

Through a very insightful thread here on AVS, it was concluded that the crossover was more to blame than the tweeter itself. If you are after a non-fatiguing sound, I have also heard that room treatments and acoustics can have a strong affect on fatigue and harshness. Unfortunately I have yet to tackle my own room, so I can't verify that personally.

Throughout my quest to find new speakers to (eventually) replace my current B&W's, I personally was impressed with PSB Imagine Series (B) which use a metal tweeter, and Dynaudio Focus Series (previous generation 110's) which have a soft dome. I understand you looking to narrow down your search of all 10000000 speaker makers, but in my personal search I can assure you that you shouldn't limit yourself based on a driver type, especially tweeter material.

FWIW, this is the thread mentioned earlier...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1371247/looking-for-less-fatigue-warning-rant-ahead

2.0 > 7.1
post #8 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I have a paper where a person analyzed several beryllium tweeters and found precious little of the metal. In fact the overall elemental composition was quite varied.

Focal claims to use a pure beryllium tweeter as opposed to the more common method of vapor deposit on substrate used by the majority of the "beryllium" tweeters. If you have the paper available, can you share what it states about the Focal tweeters?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Focal claims to use a pure beryllium tweeter as opposed to the more common method of vapor deposit on substrate used by the majority of the "beryllium" tweeters

Maybe that's why the Focal Be speakers are $$$$? Just a guess...

I know Usher's new Diamond DMD speakers aren't pure diamond, hence their DMD label... I wonder if any white vans sell cubic zirconia tweeters biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

2.0 > 7.1
post #10 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

Maybe that's why the Focal Be speakers are $$$$? Just a guess...
I know Usher's new Diamond DMD speakers aren't pure diamond, hence their DMD label... I wonder if any white vans sell cubic zirconia tweeters biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

The Focal Solo6 Be speakers retail @ $2,700/pr. They have the " pure" Beryllium tweeters and W-cone drivers. biggrin.gif

Is there a cheaper beryllium tweeter speaker ?
post #11 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Focal claims to use a pure beryllium tweeter as opposed to the more common method of vapor deposit on substrate used by the majority of the "beryllium" tweeters. If you have the paper available, can you share what it states about the Focal tweeters?
PM me a valid email address and I'll send it to you or anyone else. Apart from being fairly toxic, it's exceedingly expensive to fabricate beryllium products on a commercial scale. I suspect the use of the word pure, is taken rather loosely. You know, like when that hot babe you hooked up with says she's never done that before.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #12 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PM me a valid email address and I'll send it to you or anyone else. Apart from being fairly toxic, it's exceedingly expensive to fabricate beryllium products on a commercial scale. I suspect the use of the word pure, is taken rather loosely. You know, like when that hot babe you hooked up with says she's never done that before.

If I bought a pair of $190,000 Focal Grande Utopia EM and found out the beryllium isn't any more pure than a pair of $2700 speakers, I'd be very upset. biggrin.gif

I would also be upset if the beryllium tweeters in my $190K speakers cost less than diamond tweeters in a pair of $5K speakers. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Fairly toxic is more than a slight understatement during the manufacturing process.

All my hot babes (back in the day) were pure. What are you inferring, that they might not have been truthful? eek.gif

PM sent, thanks
post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

+1
I have the previous generation B&W 600 series and unfortunately find them a little harsh sometimes. In their defense, this isn't a common occurrence, and is usually at louder volumes. I have also heard the 800 series on a number of occasions (not too familiar with Diamond 800 models), which sound much much better, but I don't think that should surprise anyone.
Through a very insightful thread here on AVS, it was concluded that the crossover was more to blame than the tweeter itself. If you are after a non-fatiguing sound, I have also heard that room treatments and acoustics can have a strong affect on fatigue and harshness. Unfortunately I have yet to tackle my own room, so I can't verify that personally.
Throughout my quest to find new speakers to (eventually) replace my current B&W's, I personally was impressed with PSB Imagine Series (B) which use a metal tweeter, and Dynaudio Focus Series (previous generation 110's) which have a soft dome. I understand you looking to narrow down your search of all 10000000 speaker makers, but in my personal search I can assure you that you shouldn't limit yourself based on a driver type, especially tweeter material.
FWIW, this is the thread mentioned earlier...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1371247/looking-for-less-fatigue-warning-rant-ahead

I have the B&W 805N and the PSB Imagine B. Aside from both being "speakers" that have almost nothing in common sound wise. PSB has tons more bass and much more subtle highs, imaging on the PSB is razor sharp. I find myself using them for radio and HT. The B&Ws are warm, fuzzy, bright and tom me sound more like a pleasurable music experience.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fairly toxic is more than a slight understatement during the manufacturing process.
All my hot babes (back in the day) were pure. What are you inferring, that they might not have been truthful? eek.gif
PM sent, thanks
As an alloy of some sort makes the most sense. I sent the document.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The Focal Solo6 Be speakers retail @ $2,700/pr. They have the " pure" Beryllium tweeters and W-cone drivers. biggrin.gif
Is there a cheaper beryllium tweeter speaker ?

I have listened to the Solo6 and can say that their tweeters sound very realistic to my ears, not harsh at all but accurate and easy to listen to and that was straight out of the box un-run in.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimaikid View Post

I have listened to the Solo6 and can say that their tweeters sound very realistic to my ears, not harsh at all but accurate and easy to listen to and that was straight out of the box un-run in.

No one is questioning the SQ. I believe Focal makes great speakers.

I was just wondering about the actual Be contents (%) in the Focal Utopia III vs Solo6. biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page