Klipsch WF-35 Crossover Upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a pair of Klipsch WF-35's and am reading that a crossover upgrade makes these speakers sound equivelant to a $3,000 pair (I know that might be over the top). I am curious about exactly what components and tolerances I should use to build the crossover? I am also going to replace the 18 gauge wire inside with 12. I also read that just buying a pre-built 2,500hz crossover from PE is not the way to go. I love having my music sound as good as I can so any help would be much appreciated. I guess I'm asking someone who really knows what they are talking about "if you were going to build the crossover for these speakers what would you do?"
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 16
There are a few ways to go with this. One is to simply upgrade the components on the existing crossover to higher quality parts but keeping the values the same, especially replacing any electrolytic caps with film types. That usually yields a subtle improvement without completely changing the speaker's tonal character.

The other method is a mod where there is something specifically wrong with the speaker you are attempting to fix. With this method you not only upgrade the components but you adjust the values to compensate for a shortcoming that you have identified. This may take a lot of work and experimentation to get right. If somebody has already did the analysis then it's a easy process as long as you have a basic understanding of soldering.

Next, is building a crossover from scratch. That takes the most work and usually is not necessary. As you have noted, buying an off the shelf crossover and slapping it in never works right. A crossover must be tuned specifically for the speaker it's used in. If you buy a PE crossover it's a crapshoot. Who knows what it will sound like. You may get lucky and it might be an improvement but odds are it won't.

Be careful about some of the supposed crossover upgrades. Sometimes they help some aspect but screw something else up.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply. I am hoping someone who has done it will let me know the values. I can solder no problem. There was a post on newegg that a guy mentioned doing the mod and it sounding like a $3000 pair. I would love to ask but there is no way to contact that person.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sx2500831 View Post

I just purchased a pair of Klipsch WF-35's and am reading that a crossover upgrade makes these speakers sound equivelant to a $3,000 pair (I know that might be over the top). I am curious about exactly what components and tolerances I should use to build the crossover? I am also going to replace the 18 gauge wire inside with 12. I also read that just buying a pre-built 2,500hz crossover from PE is not the way to go. I love having my music sound as good as I can so any help would be much appreciated. I guess I'm asking someone who really knows what they are talking about "if you were going to build the crossover for these speakers what would you do?"
Thanks

It's a minor niggle, but full list, WF-35"s are $3k/pr speakers. tongue.gif

Besides a properly tuned crossover, what else am I missing?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sx2500831 View Post

Thanks so much for the reply. I am hoping someone who has done it will let me know the values. I can solder no problem. There was a post on newegg that a guy mentioned doing the mod and it sounding like a $3000 pair. I would love to ask but there is no way to contact that person.

I would post on the Klipsch Forum and see what others think...Nothing against newegg, but there are plenty of tinkerers of Klipsch speakers over there, and they might give you a more informed opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 08:49 AM

I just purchased these speakers last night so I haven't received them, but it seems odd that Klipsch lists their price at 3K a pair and I'm buying them for $539/pr. Newegg appears to be the exclusive seller of these speakers.

Did they ever sell at a price even close to $3000/pr?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Before I messed with the crossovers from professional designers: I'd want sometime much more specific than "make them sound better". I'd want to hear I was changing the crossover order to move a specific null zone, or that I was dealing with some specific filter problem or the like.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. How did you get the extra 10% off the WF-35s yesterday ?
I couldn't find any coupons.
I'm about to buy, but they're $599 on newegg. Thanks
Reply Speakers