Bookshelf mackie MR8 and MR5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I´m an amateur audiophile, with 50/50 music HT use, love jazz and concerts with philharmonics, also love progressive rock.

After 8 months of reading the countless threads, I came to the decision to purchase Ascend 340 speakers, based merly on opinions and reviews even though I’ve never heard them, since I live in Mexico it was a risk worth $700.00 dollars, that was the price to pay for S&H fees to return them.

In the various threads I read I also find out about Mackie, especially since Ethan Winer (audio guru) had his set arranged with series HR624 mk2, to make a long story short. I found a Mackie dealer here in Mexico and had the pleasure of auditioning the HR624 mk2… automatically I fell in love!!! But had a heart stroke when they told me the price… Fortunately they also allowed me to hear the MR5 mk2, I was also delighted and the whole system fit in to my budget!!!

End up buying 3 pieces of MR8 mk2 and 2 pieces of MR5 mk2. Have to tell you the MR8 mk2, produce an impressive yet balanced amount of bass, I set this speakers in full range mode, as for the MR5 mk2 have them crossed over at 100Hz or so, they are perfect blending match of their big brother.

Have to tell you, I have rediscovered music, movies and even TV these speakers are everything I dreamed: accurate, balanced, detailed, power full and natural sounding. I also auditioned PSB image series, Yamaha´s top of the line, Kef C series, Definitive Promedia 1000, Polk RTI and some other brands which are not worth mentioning them. NONE is even close to the accuracy and performance of Mackie’s if your short list includes this babies, go for them, love them, embrace them!!!

Hope this thread helps

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just recently upgraded our living room system which is 50% TV, 30% music and 20% movies. I used two Mackie MR5s driven by an Emotiva XDA-1 that is connected via optical to the TV for movies and TV and connected via coax for CDs. I would say seating position is about 8-9' away and they sound amazing. The clarity and detail from these speakers is unlike anything I've heard.

At the suggestion of a mixing engineer I know, I plan on using the Mackie HR824, HR626 and HR624 for my theater I am building in the basement. Thumbs up to the simplicity of active speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page