Upgrade time again - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I have the itch to swap out my current system in my living room. It consists of the following:

(2) Emotiva 6.2 L/R
(1) Emotiva 6.3 C
(2) Emotiva ERD-1 in inverted bipole mode
Onkyo 818 receiver
Outlaw Audio Model 7500 5 channel amp
HSU VTF -3 MK4 sub
PS3 for Blu Rays
Marantz DV 9600 DVD for SA-CD/DVD-A

My room is 16x35 but half of it is a dining area. Sitting distance is 13' from the front speakers. Couch is on rear wall with surrounds ~4' above ear level. Emotiva recommends running the ERD-1 in inverted dipole mode. Overall, I really like the way the system sounds. Bass is fantastic, mids almost perfectly balanced, highs are a tiny bit lacking. I like my highs a bit more crisp. I listen to jazz, blues, latin jazz, house, hip hop, and R&B. Music/Movies are 50-50% at this point in my life. Being retired is great!!! LOL

So I am thinking of swapping just the 5 speakers in this setup. I have a main HT setup that is running full Def Tech in 7.2 config (BP7000, CLR3000, BPX x 4, and dual Supecube Reference subs) So the living room is where I mainly listen to music, kids play video games, and I watch movies when I'm alone or just me and the wife. If we have a movie night with company, we usually go to the main HT in the basement.

I've been getting the itch to try something new from Emptek, Swan, or Kef. I was also considering a set up from HTD so I can try my first ever ribbon tweeters, but I really dislike the white driver they use. And I run my speakers naked-no grills. Anyone ever have Emo speakers and switched over to Emptek, Swan, or Kef? Here are the setup in the ~$2,000 range I am considering:

Emptek: e55Ti towers, e56Ci center, and E55W bi pole rears: $1,744 (missed their recent sales)
Swan: Swan Diva 4.2 towers, Swan Diva 5.2c center, Swan 4.2r bi pole rears: $1,582 delivered
Kef: KefiQ70 towers, iQ60 center, and ???rears (KEF di/bi poles too expensive) ~$2,000-2,400

Any other speakers (towers or book shelf are fine) that I should consider in this price range? I think this setup should be geared more towards music if I had to choose. I also saw some Swan M1B reference book shelves open box for $750, but I couldn't find a matching center with a ribbon tweeter. I would love to have given those a try.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

Here are the setup in the ~$2,000 range I am considering:
Emptek: e55Ti towers, e56Ci center, and E55W bi pole rears: $1,744 (missed their recent sales)
Swan: Swan Diva 4.2 towers, Swan Diva 5.2c center, Swan 4.2r bi pole rears: $1,582 delivered
Kef: KefiQ70 towers, iQ60 center, and ???rears (KEF di/bi poles too expensive) ~$2,000-2,400

Among the ones listed, this would be my personal order of preference...
1. Swan
2. KEF

3. EMPtek

The Swan and KEF are probably a toss-up, with the EMPtek a distant third. I love the Swans I've heard. The KEF's are spoken of very highly (I've never heard them, unfortunately). They tend to be pricey though. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the first two choices.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

No suggestions really, just a hardy good luck. I've recently upgraded the AVR and center channel and now waiting for the spare change to upgrade the subs.

OTOH, now that I'm thinking, you know, if I were to look at something in your stated budget, I'd look at the Audio Monitor, RX6. and build on these mains with some of their complimenting home theater speakers.

rx6.large.jpg

Quote:
Being retired is great!!! LOL

"Retirement: where every night is a Friday night and every morning is a Saturday morning." biggrin.gif

-
post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Here are the setup in the ~$2,000 range I am considering:

Checking the math on the KEF setup ...
iQ70 pair $800
iQ60 center $445
$1245 not including surrounds.

A friend has the exact setup with iQ10's as surrounds, $300 for a pair, that sounds great. Or, would the Swan bi poles, $400 a pair, sound good with the KEF's?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
If you decide to go with the KEF iQ70's, theyre on sale currently for $600 a pair at newegg.com. Last week they were $400 a pair. Free shipping. Vanns.com has the KEF iQ90's on sale for $800 pair right now also. Free shipping.
Let us know what you get and how you like the new setup. I'm currently looking for a new system similar to your specs.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I LOVE SWANS SPEAKERS! Did I mention that lol? Monitor audio is also a company to look at. Great soundstage and crystal clear tweeters.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'll throw Arx in the mix. Although the only down side right now is the A2b center channel is probably going to be another month before its available. Althought the A1b bookshelf's tweeter is rotatable for veritcal or horizontal use. I just go my A5 towers a few days ago and have been extremely pleased.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manufacturers.php?mPath=13

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page