Need to match rear surrounds to front three? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am thinking about having rear surrounds in a 5.1 system put in a drop ceiling and am wondering if it is important to have the rear speakers match the fronts or if it is ok for them to be completely different. I realize people often say that the front L/R and center should all be from the same manuf, or match in timbre, but I wonder if this is true of the other surrounds or if they can be completely different? I am thinking about the HSU Research Hybrid 2 5.1 package but minus the rear speakers and then getting something else to put in a drop ceiling for the rear. HSU makes an in-wall that they claim can go in the ceiling but there is no enclosure on it and they suggested I might build an MDF enclosure for it. That doesn't fill me with confidence on that particular speaker so thought I might go with another designed for the task, Polk and other's make some which are enclosed for the purpose.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
AFAIK, the HSU is just a silk dome tweeter in waveguide, so really any soft dome tweeter speaker (most Polks) should blend pretty well with it. Besides that, it is not really that important to match your surrounds to your mains.

Right now I am using eD[c]12's as my LCR and satellites from my old Boston Acoustic MCS-100 kit for surrounds and heights and they sound fine even though my mains have CD's and surrounds are not.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I listened to a demo at the Hsu office of their HB-1 MK iis as LCR and in wall surrounds, and it worked very well together.