On wall thin speakers or other alternatives to have a discreet 5.1 system - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done a search here and couldn't find much about 'on-wall' speakers. I've checked out the Paradigm, KEF and DevTech systems and can't find enough reading material to help decide.

The idea is that I want to setup a TV room with my 55" Samsung LED along with a good 5.1 system that is very discreet and that won't make the room look like a home theatre.

The on-wall systems look very good imo when mounted next to the flat screen.

Any good feedback on these very thin speaker designs or alternatives I could look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilliams View Post

I've done a search here and couldn't find much about 'on-wall' speakers. I've checked out the Paradigm, KEF and DevTech systems and can't find enough reading material to help decide.
The idea is that I want to setup a TV room with my 55" Samsung LED along with a good 5.1 system that is very discreet and that won't make the room look like a home theatre.
The on-wall systems look very good imo when mounted next to the flat screen.
Any good feedback on these very thin speaker designs or alternatives I could look at?

Checkout James loudspeaker you would have to get them from a dealer but I think they make something like you are looking for. I thought Paradigm made a inwall system but could be wrong.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not sure if this is something you are looking for... You will have to look them up could not get pictures to come over...

SPL618LCR SPL6 High Output Sound-bars

View image Larger

Go
DescriptionSpecificationsDownloadsFAQ
High output, low distortion, large format LCR sound bar for large TVs and displays
The SPL618LCR-AL is James' premier shallow, high output LCR bar for today's large format video displays.  Though only 2.75" in depth, the SPL618LCR packs a powerful punch with James unique shallow driver technology and quad tweeter array designs to provide "big" sound for those "big" displays.

The LCR format features 3 individual systems to provide Left, Center and Right channels in one enclosure.  Matching on-wall surrounds are available as well.

The cabinet design features all aircraft aluminum construction for strength, sonic performance and suitability for outdoor/marine applications.  An aluminum grille provides protection to the components yet has a subdued visual to be as unobtrusive as possible.

The system features specially designed shallow 6.5" woofers with an aluminum dome cones and rubber composite surrounds for high output and low distortion. To ensure wide dispersion, and high SPL with low distortion, a James' proprietary quad tweeter array is used - technology pioneered in the James BE series.  A custom designed crossover network ensures smooth frequency response and linearity.

Includes blind through holes for wall mounting. Rear keyhole brackets are available. For TV mounting, custom brackets can be supplied. Please supply the brand and model of TV so the brackets and speaker bar width can be determined.

Additional Pictures
http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/productdet.cfm?page=itemdetail&id=300

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Emptek has a series of on wall speakers that fit well into the "good speaker for the dollar" category!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

Check out the KEF T Series & Monitor Shadow Series - They are seriously thin & have been receiving quite positive reviews!

Bazzy!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM

I am in a similar situation to you but I am starting off as a skeptic of flat panel, on wall speakers. It seems everyone makes one so the manufacturers must see merit in the segment. The question: is it too much of a compromise in favor of aesthetic? I can't mount a 10 inch+ deep bookshelf speaker on the living room wall next to the 3 inch thick LCD. But do I need a 3" deep flat panel speaker?

So in my case I am between a satellite style speaker and the flat panel style, leaning more toward satellite. I have only demoed a handful of each so far.

Flat panel:
DefTech Mythos Six,
Golden Ear SuperSat 3 and 50

Satellite speakers:
B&W M1
DefTech Mythos Gem

My only real recommendation to you is to listen to everything in person if possible. For me, the M1s and SuperSats stood out as good. My demo of the Six was meh. I wanted to like it (could get it for a steal). But I would like to listen to a bunch more, I am just getting started. On a side note, I am tired of reading about things online I can't demo locally. I hesitate to purchase something I haven't heard.

Anyone have any satellite recommendations in the $200-$500 per speaker range? I am intrigued by the KEF HTS line but haven't tracked down anything local yet.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Not the thinnest, but maybe not as much of a compromise as some options, either.

NHT Absolute Wall

Clearly most people are willing to compromise sound quality for aesthetics, as the systems sold in the market prove. So don't worry if that's what you want to do. The real measurement is enjoyment, not sound quality. Think about what's going to maximize your enjoyment of the system and the content.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,

Apparently the Totem Tribe On Wall Speakers are also supposed to be very highly rated - they look awesome too!

Bazzy!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Not the thinnest, but maybe not as much of a compromise as some options, either.
NHT Absolute Wall
Clearly most people are willing to compromise sound quality for aesthetics, as the systems sold in the market prove. So don't worry if that's what you want to do. The real measurement is enjoyment, not sound quality. Think about what's going to maximize your enjoyment of the system and the content.

I hear you, enjoyment is the key factor. While I can justify spending the money for sound quality I have a hard time doing it for aesthetics. I ended up with a pair of the Mythos Gems. They look good, could hear them in person (so I verified they sound good enough), and the price was hard to beat (a pair of floor models for $150).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement