Definitive Technology BP7006 Second Thoughts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help guys making a decision.

I picked up a pair of DefTech BP7006s on ebay without hearing them first. Went to Best Buy Magnolia to check out what the next gen 8040STs sounded like to get an idea of how the BP7006s will sound - was not 100% satisfied with what I heard.

The def tech were set up about a 12inch away from the wall, were flanked by speakers on both sides and had a shelf behind them. They threw a big soundstage, but the accuracy, especially with music was poor. The voices and instruments seemed to blend in together and it was hard to distinguish where in space the instruments were. The sound was also not as "crips" as I had hoped, very fine details seemed to be omitted. The bass was stellar after I tuned it down where I like (about 1/4 of the way up). The sweetspot was very wide which is good as my and the SOs seating position are about 11 ft from the TV, usually just inside the L and R speaker (not dead center)

Is the poor accuracy and imaging attributed to the improper placements of these speakers at BB Magnolia Theater???? Do you think better placement will improve imaging and clarity?

My room is about 11'x14' with one of the 14' sides being open to the kitchen and dinning room. The speakers would be against the 11' wall about 9-10 inchs away from the wall and about 5.5 -6ft apart.

I compared the 8040ST to the B&W 685 as that is another speaker I am considering. All details were present. I could tell each instrument and voice apart and where in space each was located. Voices were very clear and pronounced, the bass was obviously less compared to 8040STs but I was surprised how much of it there was coming from a bookshelf. Only downside, these had a narrow sweet spot.

These speakers would be used 85% for TV/Movies and about 15% for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Wait until you get them home. Best Buy is not an ideal enviroment to audition speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I'm thinking. Ever since I heard the 8040s I've been reading around forums and reviews with people mentioning the mild lack of imaging and clarity. I didn't think it would be THAT noticeable when compared to B&W 685s
post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That is probably a fair assessment of DefTech Bi-pole speakers; although, the projection can be tightened up by pointing the speakers towards the " sweet spot " a little bit -- which DefTech recommends. I'm fine with my DefTechs since I only do about 20% music and THAT is mostly multi-channel classical concerts. BestBuy / Magnolia is not the best place to audition these speakers as they are clearly not positioned correctly. Mine ( BP7000SC ) sound quite good to me with music, but again, I'm not that critical when it comes to music. They absolutely ROCK for movies though.

Others that actually own the BP7006's or 8040's can chime in with a better assessment than I can.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. Clearly for music the B&W 685s sound better to me. From what I see on forums people seem to prefer the DefTechs to B&W (at least the 600 line) for HT. What I don't get is wouldn't accurate imaging and clarity of the B&W be better at reproducing HT effects?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Positioning will play a part since they were probably too close to other speakers/the wall, but Definitive bipolar speakers are more known for their performance with movies than music.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page