Home Theater system for under $750? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings audiophiles,
I have been in the market for a home theater system for some time now and I'm finally ready to commit. I have been looking for something that is entry level and good quality. Thus far, the only things that I have gotten out of this endevour is three nosebleeds and a home theater system that I am returning.

The system that I had just purchased and am utterly disappointed with is the onkyo S3500. While I realize this is definitely bottom of the barrel, the part of me that enjoys having money had to take stake in the matter. Turns out you get what you pay for, so I'm in the market to spend a bit more ( about $750-$800 total ) to get something that is decent.

I worked at an electronics store years ago and have very little residual knowledge of home theater systems. All I remember is that I really enjoyed the sound of the Klipsch Quintet ( III I believe ) and that's pretty much it. I realize that this is the equivalent to a McDonalds fry cook telling Emril that he can cook real real good. I was looking at some of the BIC speakers but am honestly open to all options. I have nothing but a whole bunch of speaker wire. Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
I assume that's $750 including the receiver? If that's it, you probably will want to look at the Pioneer speakers at new egg: 2xFS51 for Front L/R, CS21 for the center and 2xBS21 for the surrounds. If you can't have towers, you could look at the BS41 for the fronts. For the receiver, you could have a look at some Yamaha or the Onkyo 414.

Now to the subwoofer, may be and Energy S10.3 or some BIC america.
Gfunk9983 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the price that I'm looking at does include the receiver0. I have always been drawn to Yamaha equipment so that would definitely be a great option. I had been looking at the V471 which appears to be at a decent price point, is that something I should entertain ? I am also very flexible with the type of speakers that I can use ( floorstanding vs bookshelf ). The room that I have is about 12'x14' ; nothing huge. I was looking at the Energy S10.3 for the simple fact that since I am in a smaller area ( and in an apartment with neighbors ) something larger might be too loud.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For this price range I'd have to recommend the Klipsch Synergy line.

For klipsch, I'd go with:

Synergy B-2 bookshelves for $170 a pair at amazon. (I'd get 2 pairs)

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker-Pair/dp/B000NGTKOI/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1347344826&sr=1-3&keywords=klipsch+synergy

Synergy C-10 Center channel for $150 new

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synergy-C-10-Premium-Center-Channel/dp/B003XRD9UU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1347345028&sr=8-8&keywords=klipsch+synergy

For subwoofer I'd get the Bic Acoustech H-100

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustech-H-100-Front-Firing-Subwoofer-High-Gloss/dp/B0006DNW6U

This all comes about $800 give or take.

My personal opinion is that Klipsch is the best value, especially for home theater as they are horn loaded, efficient, and very "movie theater auditorium" sounding.
Gfunk9983 likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I really enjoyed the sound quality of the Klipsch that I had listened to. Is there a significant difference between getting something like the Quintet system vs purchasing the bookshelf / surround / center speakers separate ?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, I may need to rethink this since it includes the receiver.

Well, I'm gonna have to say go with the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers. Andrew Jones traditionally designs speakers costly $20,000+ - he put a LOT of research into designing fantastic budget speakers.

SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker ($99)

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Andrew-SP-C22-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347345688&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+andrew+jones

Pioneer SP-BS22 Bookshelf speakers ($99 per pair, I'd get 2 pairs for front and surrounds)

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Andrew-Design-Bookshelf-Loudspeaker/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347345889&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+andrew+jones

I'd still go with the Bic H-100, best bang for the buck in its price range.

As for receiver, Pioneer makes a fantastic budget receiver.

The Pioneer VSX-821-K for about $220 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-821-K-Theater-Receiver-Glossy/dp/B004M8RPB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347346153&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+receiver

post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk9983 View Post

Yeah I really enjoyed the sound quality of the Klipsch that I had listened to. Is there a significant difference between getting something like the Quintet system vs purchasing the bookshelf / surround / center speakers separate ?

While the Quintets are great little speakers, you will find they are slightly lacking in midbass frequencies, where most dialog is. I own the Quintet 2s and absolutely love them, however it forces me run my subs at a higher crossover point, making bass more directional. Ideally you want to be able crossover your sub at around 80hz. The Quintets do not allow you to do that, the Pioneers, on the other hand, would allow you to.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page