Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i got the ugprade bug on my system which consists of the following:
paradigm studio 100v4
paradigm studio cc-690v4
paradigm adp-470v4
svs pb13-ultra (just added)
marantz av7000 pre/pro
parasound hca-1206 (bi-amping front three)
parasound hca-1000a x 2 (one for rears one for pool)
oppo bdp-95

i'm sorta on the fence on what to do next. the 1206 parasound was like 2k new i got it for like 650 a year ago. my speakers sound great but are like 5 years old. i've had my eye on the parasound a51 forever but at almost 4k i'm having trouble pulling the trigger. i know it's an awesome amp but i'm feeling bang for the buck i'm not going to be happy with it. i was also considering adding another svs pb13-ultra but my room is open to left leading to kitchen and i don't know how much more bass i will get with it being in the middle of the room vs in the corner. thanks for any help you can give me to go in the right direction! 251485_397849986947462_1775802434_n.jpg 59k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251485_397849986947462_1775802434_n.jpg (58.8 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 22
If I was you I would add another pb 13 ultra. With your room being open like that, I would think the more bass the better.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 801
^^^

+1 on the PB 13 Ultra.
post #4 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 348
That seems like a rather nice system, to be honest. What do you feel is lacking? Maybe a bigger TV would be nice, but beyond that I don't see much in the way of deficiencies. Now, if it's simply a case of having money that's burning a hole in your pocket I can certainly help relieve you of that problem... tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
add another sub, get a larger display and/or projector + screen

post #6 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 21
Honestly your sound system is tight, I don't see any reason for upgrading anything. Save da money.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hi, you have a nice set-up.

I am like you. I'm done but I don't wanna be! There is always something.

I am not sure you need a second sub yet but it is an option. Your equipment rack is beautiful but I wonder if a cabinet that is a bit lower would help with speaker imaging? Just a thought.

I am with the others. I spent a mint on my set-up and had a great display but it was 55inches.
What a great difference when I moved to a 70inch Elite. An 80 would have been better.
A larger display really tied things up. You cant go wrong with a larger quality display.
Your current might be fun the bedroom?

And for fun, try a different power cord on your pre/pro. If you don't notice anything fine but I have upgraded my cables AFTER I did everything else. Not for everyone and that is fine.
I have my center channel speaker cable to go to match my left/right then done. You might also look at a power conditioner. Once again not for everyone and that's fine. I treat my Shunyta conditioner like a piece of equipment as that's what it is.

I also love my Billy Bags Bluray rack. Beautiful. Maybe a nice new rack for movies.

Then a second sub . Just some thoughts.

Rick

post #8 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Have you considered room treatment?

Or just buy more movies and music...
its phillip likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Have you considered room treatment?
Or just buy more movies and music...

Good suggestions smile.gif

post #10 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

room treatments sound great i'm clueless with it. i have a 65" panasonic 3d tv in living room which i paid 4600 for when it just came out. i have a 140" screen (carada) in my basement. i have a jvc projector down there as well. i'm trying to keep my living room my 2 channel audio and occasionaly movie when i don't feel like being in theater. i find the sound being a little harsh from my hardwood floors. what treatments would you do at that point? bass traps? i'm basically clueless to the treatments needed.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe View Post

i find the sound being a little harsh from my hardwood floors. what treatments would you do at that point?

Sorry to read the above. Takes the fun out of the listening experience. Sounds like you've been trying.

Have you dialed your system in? Does your AVR have Audyssey or a room analyst program you can run? How reflective is your room? Do you have cathedral ceilings or low flat ceilings. Do you have large throw rugs on the hardwood floor or is the floor barren? The point, part of treating the room are basic considerations such as speaker/subwoofer placement, throw rugs, furniture types, furniture placement, wall decorations, et cetera. The point being to control reflective sounds.

What type of system do you have? Is it new or old technology? Are the speakers well matched for your situation or are they just something you grabbed on the discount cheap to put in the room? All this matters as you have DAC's to accurately decode compressed material and DSP's to steer and manage your bass. All this controls content quality and sound reproduction at the speaker level.

So, now we have the basics under control; the analyst of a well appointed room, using modern equipment to reproduced sound via a well matched speaker system for the listening venue.

......................................................biggrin.gif

Hope the above gives you a few well intentioned ideas.

(If you've done all of my above, ignore what I was sharing.)
post #12 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 254
See above.

If the harshness is from the hardwood floor, put a heavy throw rug (maybe with pad beneath) between you and the speakers.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #13 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I think you have a very good system. You can always upgrade but it's going to cost big money. Studio to Signature, HCA to Halo, etc. I guess you got to ask yourself if it's worth the expense. A second sub, though, is always a good idea if you are not completely happy with your bass in terms of output or response throughout the room.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
to start with, i would slide the center speaker up to the front of the entertainment stand... that is "free"...

don't buy fancy power cords... whatever comes with the equipment you have, assuming it is long enough to reach an outlet, is "as good as it gets"...

don't buy into voodoo...

do buy measuring tools, such as an omnimic kit from parts express...

do buy "the master handbook of acoustics" (available at the big river for less than 25 clams)...

do use the knowledge you gain from the book and the evidence you gather from the measuring tools to determine your "next step"...

do ask questions if you "get stuck" or "don't understand what the measurements are telling you"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 24 Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 119
^^^
Good advice.

But if you're looking for a piece of equipment to replace/change, I'd start with your pre-pro (unless you meant to say you have the AV7005 and not a 7000, which I'm taking as the Sr7000). If I remember correctly that item doesn't have any room correction/EQ suite. Marantz has their new AV-7007 coming out, which means their AV-7005 is probably going to go on sale. They have Audyssey MultEQ XT. If you have the AV-7005, then skip to the next step. smile.gif

Or you can pick up a Denon AVR-4311CI with the top spec Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and run it in pre-amp mode.

Beyond that, room treatments/bass traps and/or another PB-13U.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #16 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice system,
I don't think you will get a real improvement from higher priced amps, although if you BELIEVE you do than that may be just as good.
a) Multiple Subs
b) Room Treatments
c) Measurement Gear
Go a+c, b+c, or a+b+c. I use REW for my measurements, FREE software that is very capable, but you still need to buy mic and depending on which one you may need a preamp, and depending on what sound card you have you may need a new/external sound card. Great info on REW at the other HT forum. Multi-Subs may require some extra gear too (possible external DSP). Measurement gear (even if it is just SubEQHT, antimode, etc) helps get multi subs right and I'm not sure you can get room treatments right without measurement gear. Multiple subs will get you a flatter frequency response in the low end, they can address nulls. Room treatments can have a huge overall impact, but they've got to be done right to help and I don't know how to do that...yet.

Never hurts learning more on the acoustics either, will certainly help you employ your gear better so +1 on that suggestion.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Never hurts learning more on the acoustics either, will certainly help you employ your gear better so +1 on that suggestion.

Damn it Jim, I'm a Home Theater buff, not a doctor.

.............................tongue.gif

I see an image of a huge, very expensive home theater system in the background and a grown man, in the foreground, on the floor, curled up in the fetal position, asleep, hugging a 1950's style AM clock radio.

And honey, look how much we'll save in movie theater and popcorn fees.

Napoleon XIV: "They're Coming To Take Me Away"
post #18 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Damn it Jim, I'm a Home Theater buff, not a doctor.
I see an image of a huge, very expensive home theater system in the background and a grown man, in the foreground, on the floor, curled up in the fetal position, asleep, hugging a 1950's style AM clock radio.
And honey, look how much we'll save in movie theater and popcorn fees.
Napoleon XIV: "They're Coming To Take Me Away"

Very Well Played, post of the day contender. I appreciate your contribution in this matter :-)
post #19 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
ime, learning about what you are trying to do, rather than simply guessing and hoping, is generally a better path...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #20 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Very Well Played, post of the day contender. I appreciate your contribution in this matter :-)

{{{Chuckle}}}

In this hobby, ya got's ta keep a sense of humor.

...................biggrin.gif

Past contributions to the home theater business aside, near term future contributions to the home theater business will be an upgraded pair of subwoofers and later, just for the heck of it, to say I have one, an outboard Amp.

Paraphrasing the "Where's the Beef" commercial. "Where's the Amp!"

After thirty years, I've resigned myself to the fact that matrimonial harmony comes in the form of compromise. And in this case, compromise comes in the form of no room treatments.

I still haven't figured out how to push the issue of 9.2. Looking into my crystal ball, I'm thinking I have a bunch of in-wall speakers coming into my wife's life. And then again, maybe I won't we'll stay with the 5.2 system and another road trip will come into my wife's life. I love home theater, we love road trips.

...................biggrin.gif

-
post #21 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

i do have the 7005 my typo. ive had the pb ultra since friday of last week so i'm new to it. i've listened to about 3 hours of music and watched 3 movies. i'm very happy with the output of the sub. what i'm not happy with is the amount of vibrations the sub causes every picture in my house to shake. the glass in my tables lifts up! i'm trying to put velcro behind all the pictures to stop the vibration off the wall. i typically take the glass out of my tables which is a pain in the rear! i do feel like having another sub would help. i do have a 8x10 area rug right in front of the salamander stand on the floor which covers almost all the hardwood between that and my l shaped lazy boy leather recliner. the rear wall has a 4'x6' picture that also vibrates alot. my old home was all carpet and it just seemed to be a warmer less harsh sound then. i'm thinking about carpeting the living room and might actually build a wall with a door going between the kitchen and the living room.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

what is the benefit of moving the center speaker up to the front of the stand?
post #23 of 24 Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikjoe View Post

what is the benefit of moving the center speaker up to the front of the stand?

Corrects for obstruction of sound waves. If the center channel is pushed back, the sound waves reflect upwards. Not good; lack of proper sound wave disbursement; cause and affect.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

moved the center last night now i would like to figure out the bass traps and other room treatments. i feel a little overwhelmed with it so i guess it's time to do some hardcore reading!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page