Newbie looking to finish home theater with quality audio equipment (pictures included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi experts! I am renovating my family room, kitchen and dining room next week; a project that includes removal of several walls, new drywall throughout, new lighting, and a brand new kitchen. The ceiling and walls will both be exposed for a limited time and I would like to have as much audio wiring run prior to the drywall going up. As such, I turn to you all to provide insight about the brand of speakers that might work well and where the best place to install the surrounds is.

The family room, dining room and kitchen are currently all separate individual rooms, our renovation plan will remove all of the walls between them and create a large open area where the dining room, kitchen and family room flow together and act as one area. The problem with this plan is that it does not provide an obvious place to install the right surround speaker. The family room will be open, looking into the dining room and kitchen, on one full side. The only possible place for the speaker is on a small sliver of the wall opposite to the TV. The speaker would be situated next to a bar stool so it would need to be small and unobtrusive enough that it would not bother a person sitting on a bar stool. It would need to be about 6-7 feet high. The family room is 16' 1" long and 16' 6" wide. A half wall separates the dining room from the family room. I would like to have floor standing speakers flank the TV which will be a 55". I have about $2000 to spend on the front three speakers and a receiver and another $500 for both surrounds. Unfortunately, there are not many speaker shops in my area so I have not been able to demo much more than what Best Buy and HH Gregg offer. I live in Rockville, MD, so if anyone knows of a place that I've missed, please let me know. I plan to use the speakers 85% of the time for TV/BluRay and 15% of the time for music. I would like a receiver that can power a second set of outdoor speakers separately.

I have included two diagrams. The first is a diagram of the area from the top down. In red, are the two spots available for the surrounds. The second is a diagram drawn from the perspective of the family room facing into the kitchen and dining room to illustrate the fact that the whole side of the room is unavailable for speaker mounting, as well as to provide an idea of the total space that the speakers would need to fill with sound.

I appreciate any and all advice you can provide. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Vanns have sold the KEF Q900 l/r + Q600 c + Q800 sur for $2200 delivered.

Perhaps substitute the Q200c for the Q600c and get Q100 instead of Q800 and the total may be $2000 or under. Then get a $500 AVR.

Check out this Denon 3310 like-new for $450.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002AKKFQ2/ref=sr_1_15_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1347550281&sr=8-15&keywords=denon+AVR+3312&condition=used
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page