**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #271 of 603 Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

Great info Jon, I have a question of similar nature to any of you with experience. Once I receive the A5's I plan to place them on two square pieces of oak I have treated and glued together, the bottom piece being roughly 3 inches larger in all 4 directions when looking down on them. Would it be a good idea to take the spikes from the A5 mounts and screw them into the bottom of the wood stands to help decrease resonance? I had originally built them for a pair of Tektondesigns M-Lores of which I decided not to purchase and instead chose the A5's, so the top piece of wood was suspended by thre PVC pipes, I just pulled them out and glued the top to the bottom due to the increased size of the A5's.

Any other acoustic properties I can add to this solid wood? The A5's will be decoupled slightly by thick fabric squares on all four corners.

I don't have a simple answer, slansing, but this next bit may be intuitive to someone like you already planning and thinking about setup.

The trick is to couple the speaker to the world, so to speak, while not allowing it to pick up any input other than what the amplifier is sending it. To do this we ideally want two ideals somewhat at cross purposes. The first is complete rigidity, which means that whatever spikes you'll use should couple the speaker tower as thoroughly as possible to the environment, with that environment naturally being the floor they're standing on. The second is that whatever floor this is, it should not bend - even minutely at any frequency - and by not bending it shall not put any external energy into the speaker cabinet.

Realistically coupling the speaker to the floor pays more dividends in imaging, soundstage, bass focus and slam, and clarity then decoupling the speaker from the floor pays dividends in cleaner sound due to it not modulating the speaker cabinet. It takes a fairly hopeless floor to move enough to destabilize a speaker's sound and focus, while a very rigid stand spiked both up to the speaker and down to the floor can really open up the definition.

A similar philosophy exists for turntable stands for high end suspended turntables: The intuition that lots of mass is good is incorrect. Lots of rigidity is good but while lots of mass lowers and suppresses external vibrational energy, it also makes the system more susceptible to energy at those lower frequencies, where it approaches or even matches the turntable and/or arm/cartridge's fundamental resonance, thereby destabilizing either or both.

Loudspeaker cabinets don't have suspensions or their resonance behaviors, and they operate at orders of magnitude higher energy, but they too do not want to be either coupled at very low frequencies to things that naturally oscillate at those frequencies, nor do they want to be left highly uncoupled so that large electrical inputs can push them about. This is especially true of multiple long-throw SplitGap woofers run at high levels.

With this in mind, I'd suggest deciding on whether to use the base included in the A5 or your custom bases, and then screwing either directly to the bottom of the tower using the four threaded inserts provided. Then insert four pointed feet into the corners of whichever base you use to anchor it to the floor.

Unless your floor is very unstable, this is very likely to develop the best focus across the audible band. If your floor is prone to a lot of movement, then about all you can do is bolt just as much mass as you possibly can to the underside of the towers and float the whole shebang on well-damped isolators. The first method is likely to sound best in the majority of cases, and the latter should be thought of as a suitable compromise for really difficult cases.

If you think it through you'll realize that both seek to do the same thing, which is to prevent the speaker cabinet moving at all. One just views the floor as a reliable, quiet ally in this effort, and the other acknowledges that in some cases it is the enemy of rigid localization.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 603 Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 15
Ah excellent and insightful as always! I believe I will go with your first recommendation which would be centering the wood stand to the base of the cabinets and screwing it into the oak, then I will attach the spikes to the corners of the wood. The floor in question is cement, which I assume I would want to place a carpeting patch on for each of these stand + cabinet combo's to reduce the vibration of the floor transferring back up to the cabinets. If anything in this plan looks wrong please let me know!

Edit: Since in my experience "limited as it may be" cement does like to vibrate "as does almost any common flooring material" with lower frequencies attributed to the mid driver and beyond, especially during my loud scifi movie nights.

In addition to this I will need to devise some way of researching sound reflection inhibitors at the reflection point of each loudspeaker in the 7.1 system. I have read that it is advisable to take a mirror and slide it along the wall on either side of the listening position, marking the wall each time you see the mirror image of a speaker, then placing some sort of material at that point vertically along the wall "and ceiling." I have a fair bit more research to do in this respect so any help is graciously accepted!

Edit2: I have found a solid DIY guide for Superchunks and dampening panels for the walls and ceiling. I'll have to do that after everything is set up.. shame that the basement ceiling is not finished, methinks that a good deal of sound will bounce back and forth in the 2x4's on the ceiling, but, maybe this is a good thing? They could act as some degree of diffuser... smile.gif
BufordTJustice likes this.

Follow my Home Theater build here!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 603 Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

I believe I will go with your first recommendation which would be centering the wood stand to the base of the cabinets and screwing it into the oak, then I will attach the spikes to the corners of the wood. The floor in question is cement, which I assume I would want to place a carpeting patch on for each of these stand + cabinet combo's to reduce the vibration of the floor transferring back up to the cabinets.

I would couple to the floor. Use spikes between your choice of base and the concrete. If you use your oak panels, drill them to duplicate the bases we include.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #274 of 603 Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
You know, if it wasnt for my wife trying to kill me for spending more money. I'd love to give the ARX's a try aside my e55ti's.. Whenever I look at them I get more and more intrigued, their not the prettiest things in the world, but man I really want to hear how they sound..

Anyone in Upstate NY? Albany area

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #275 of 603 Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I feel the same. The quality of the drivers at the very least lends some credibility to the speaker, not to mention having the owner/designer/etc here to help. I know having a driver with a cast basket, etc etc isn't the only way to have great sounding speaker, but I'd still like to hear what these have to offer.

I think if the price was raised a little and more work was done on the cabinet aesthetics, they'd sell like hot cakes. I feel that the EMP's get a lot of buyers just based on how they look. A bonus is that they also sound incredible for the price. It's truly amazing what you can get nowadays (non-DIY) for "budget" setups. It's come a LONG way.

Jon, any updates on the possibility of that MTM/WW or MTM/WWW setup? Something like that with 6.5's (probably just 2 woofers would be plenty with that kind of excursion capabilities) would be awesome smile.gif I swear I remember hearing you all talking about that either here or on the Audio Insider forums

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #276 of 603 Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all. I started a thread on here in regards to advice for new tower speakers for my 5.1 set up. I currently have Energy Classic speakers but wanted to upgrade the speakers. We are setting up a new tv room in our basement (12 x 16, carpeted) that will have a 64" TV. This is primarily (99%) going to be used for movies/sports. It will rarely be used for music. I have read probably too much but have decided to choose between A5s and HTD Level 3s. Since I cant hear either of them, I was hoping to get some opinions from A5 owners. I love clarity with some bass, but will have a sub hooked up to system. THanks in advance!!!!
post #277 of 603 Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Clarity is one of the hallmarks of the ARX line. Read the reviews at the beginning of this thread or at The Audio Insider site. The highs are especially clean due to the planar tweeter. As for bass, you won't find a speaker with better accurate bass anywhere near the price of the A5 (or the A1b for that matter).
post #278 of 603 Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 AM

Liked: 17
ShadyJ, I don't have some A5's but if you want to check out some A1b's, send me a PM and we can probably set something up. They may no be as good as the A5's, but they will give you an idea of what the Arx line sound like. They are pretty damn impressive in their own right.

When life gives you lemons, punch life in the nuts. -me-
post #279 of 603 Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrlyfrm View Post

ShadyJ, I don't have some A5's but if you want to check out some A1b's, send me a PM and we can probably set something up. They may no be as good as the A5's, but they will give you an idea of what the Arx line sound like. They are pretty damn impressive in their own right.

I'm not ShadyJ wink.gif

I know I know, I get it confused myself, I'm like.. When the hell did I post that? I'm not that smart tongue.gif

However, Hyrly I may have to take you up on that seeing as you live so close.. Shoot me a PM with when your usually free, well see if we can set something up. I can either swing over to you and check them out, or if its easy enough for you.. Bring the AR1s to my place and you can hear my EMP"s as well.

My EMP's are a bit big

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #280 of 603 Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 17
eek.gif Sorry about that Shady. Isn't it sad when you can't remember someone's name and it's in text on the page you are typing on? After I'm done with my chem 2 class next week I should have some free time so I'll get in touch with you when I do.

When life gives you lemons, punch life in the nuts. -me-
post #281 of 603 Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM

So I am assuming no body here has mixed the A5s with a different center? I am just wondering as I was thinking about a BW center, but this has been poo-pooed by a few folks on the board. Sorry, noob here.
post #282 of 603 Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 22
I have the energy take 5.0 setup in another setup in basement and I can say I would definitely not recommend running it with the a5's and probably not with a1b either from what I've heard of mine so far. The overall sound is quite different and personally it would be pretty distracting, especially in movies. I would recommend going with matching center if possible or if your setup allows it go with phantom while you save up.
post #283 of 603 Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 15
I have a cheapo Polk Blackstone center from my old setup running as my center with the A5's it's okay for now, but I have a A2C on the way from a forum goer here.

Follow my Home Theater build here!:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #284 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks for everyone who helped with my questions about the ARX line a few months back, just figured I'd update my ARX journey a bit. I decided to go ahead and buy a pair of A1b's a few months ago and shortly after grabbed a 3rd for use as a center channel. I'm nothing short of thrilled with these speakers, they're very surprising and exactly the neutral smooth sound I was looking for without a hint of fatigue even after extended listening sessions.

But of course since those were the only ones I had heard I was obsessing over what I might be missing with some of the bigger offerings so I've had my eye on the upcoming A2 and A3 release but I also nabbed a pair of A5's locally to get a listen. Now the A5's are truly amazing speakers but a little too much for my apartment so it put my mind at ease about being happy with the A1's. It actually made me appreciate the A1's even more that they really hold their own to the much bigger A5's, I truly think at 300 a pair they are a bargain in the home audio world. I still might try out the A2's since they're a different beast and I'll definitely post some comparisons if I do decide to grab some when they become available.

By the way if anyone wants to listen to the A5's while I still have them feel free, I'm in the Cincinnati area, and here's a link to the classified for anyone wanting to nab a pair.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484425/arx-a5-speakers
post #285 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Hello All, I have Axiom m80s and want to try something else. how are the arc m5 compared to the axioms? Thanks pat
post #286 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The only way to be sure in your own mind is to order the Arxs & compare them head to head in your own room under the same conditions.

Subjective views from others on how they sound will be largely irrevalent . Your ears are the only ones that matter....

TAM
post #287 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by patwho View Post

Hello All, I have Axiom m80s and want to try something else. how are the arc m5 compared to the axioms? Thanks pat

You'll get a little deeper extension with the M80s, but IMO treble and midrange and midbass are all much better than the Axioms (only compared bookshelfs) . Really enjoy the Arx speakers and i'm probably one of the few who has actually listened to both Axiom and Arx in the same room, using the same equipment, at the same time. Arx A1 to Axiom M22 the Axiom was more efficient but couldn't match the extension of the A1s and the A1 had a more dynamic "powerful" sound to them. Once you listen to the Arx planars with some quality music like Dire Straits you really notice a difference in the treble. First thing I noticed was ZERO overhang in the treble compared to the Axioms.

Try out the A5 towers and compare them to your M80s. I'm 100% confident they will compare favorably to the Axioms.
post #288 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

The only way to be sure in your own mind is to order the Arxs & compare them head to head in your own room under the same conditions.

Subjective views from others on how they sound will be largely irrevalent . Your ears are the only ones that matter....

TAM

Never knew you had an interest in Arx speakers here in the Arx Owners thread?

Subjective views are far from being irrelevant unless of course you don't like the view point. I guess its only relevant if it jives with your view point?
post #289 of 603 Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM

If you hadn't compared M80s directly to the A5 towers (not bookshelfs), then your opinion is no more than speculation. As I reasonably pointed out, Pat has the chance to audition them both in his own setting to enable him to make up his own mind.

The only views, opinions, likes & dislikes that matter in the end are the customer's - not mine nor yours....

TAM
post #290 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

TAM

You mean like this? biggrin.gif

Due to some bad lucks having them shipped halfway around the world, I paid 3x the price for the A5 which is still cheaper than the Sierra RAALs next to it. Wanna know what I think about them?

gtpsuper24 likes this.
post #291 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you hadn't compared M80s directly to the A5 towers (not bookshelfs), then your opinion is no more than speculation. As I reasonably pointed out, Pat has the chance to audition them both in his own setting to enable him to make up his own mind.

The only views, opinions, likes & dislikes that matter in the end are the customer's - not mine nor yours....

TAM

M22 and subwoofer is the same as the M80s right? That is what I read constantly over at the Axiom forum. You have nothing to base anything on, I'll ask again how about you gain some actual knowledge of whats out there instead of just searching out for Axiom hits? Not sure what you doing in the Arx owners thread since you have ZERO intention of buying speakers across the border. You've made that very clear that shipping across borders and purchasing ID (Axiom not included though rolleyes.gif) is a nightmare of a hassle.
post #292 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

You mean like this? biggrin.gif

Due to some bad lucks having them shipped halfway around the world, I paid 3x the price for the A5 which is still cheaper than the Sierra RAALs next to it. Wanna know what I think about them?

I'd like to read what you thought about them, good or bad. I haven't heard the Sierra tower so I can't challenge your subjective opinion like someone else does, even though they haven't heard a speaker.
post #293 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

You've made that very clear that shipping across borders and purchasing ID (Axiom not included though rolleyes.gif) is a nightmare of a hassle.

Can be easy and cheap or long and expensive depending on your luck at the moment. He should try it sometimes as I imported all my equipments, heck even my underwears from all around the world as they are cheaper.
post #294 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I'd like to read what you thought about them, good or bad. I haven't heard the Sierra tower so I can't challenge your subjective opinion like someone else does, even though they haven't heard a speaker.

Ahh yes there are a bunch of losers with either hidden agenda or trying to make themselves feel better because they own something else, trying to socialize online because this is the only place they can etc etc... Then again why even bother challenging someone's subjective opinion if it's ain't science. Don't like something you see on the net, just ignore and move on. That's why I post here like once a year. No time to argue with some stranger over trivial stuff in life.

Both the Sierra RAAL tower and the A5 are awesome in their own price range. I'll say this regarding the A5:

People talk about this and that equipment being as good as something else costing 2-3x as much. Well heck I literally paid 3x the price of the A5. Is it worth $2100? I think so but I haven't heard the regular Sierra Tower which is $2000 so I don't know which is better. Veneer and build quality are as good as some $2500 speakers I've owned in the past. Heavier than the bigger Sierra Towers but not sure if it's the drivers or cabinet bracings. Overall I'd say under $1k it's the best sounding towers that can play any music from house, metal, hard **** to acoustics and audiophile stuff. Made in China but Jon Lane really put some effort into making real performance speakers. I don't know how flat the freq response is but it sounds pretty good and can play anything really well. Since I don't rate speakers based on brands, hype, pretty styling, and oh since I can afford any speaker out there if I can live with the A5 then it must be quite decent. Consider that and the only $750 price tag you guys are paying. And no it's not as pretty and refined sounding as the RAALs.
post #295 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM

i had a question for a1b owners. i am setting up my HT using a bower/wilkins center and front towers, and need to upgrade the bookshelf speakers. these would be approx 300 cheaper than the corresponded b/w bookshelfs. are most happy with quality? also, any idea on what the S/N ratio and THD are for these speakers? thanks in advance!!!!
post #296 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 19
The A1bs are overkill for surround duty in my opinion, I'm running 3 A1b's as my front 3 speakers and they do fine as mains. The only problem using them as surrounds is they aren't small so unless you have them on stands it might be tricky mounting them. Not sure what those specs are but as surround duty they'll do everything you need I'm pretty certain of that. I would hook them as fronts to break them in for about 20 hours before throwing them in the back though, they sound a lot better once broken in.
post #297 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Ahh yes there are a bunch of losers with either hidden agenda or trying to make themselves feel better because they own something else, trying to socialize online because this is the only place they can etc etc... Then again why even bother challenging someone's subjective opinion if it's ain't science. Don't like something you see on the net, just ignore and move on. That's why I post here like once a year. No time to argue with some stranger over trivial stuff in life.

Both the Sierra RAAL tower and the A5 are awesome in their own price range. I'll say this regarding the A5:

People talk about this and that equipment being as good as something else costing 2-3x as much. Well heck I literally paid 3x the price of the A5. Is it worth $2100? I think so but I haven't heard the regular Sierra Tower which is $2000 so I don't know which is better. Veneer and build quality are as good as some $2500 speakers I've owned in the past. Heavier than the bigger Sierra Towers but not sure if it's the drivers or cabinet bracings. Overall I'd say under $1k it's the best sounding towers that can play any music from house, metal, hard **** to acoustics and audiophile stuff. Made in China but Jon Lane really put some effort into making real performance speakers. I don't know how flat the freq response is but it sounds pretty good and can play anything really well. Since I don't rate speakers based on brands, hype, pretty styling, and oh since I can afford any speaker out there if I can live with the A5 then it must be quite decent. Consider that and the only $750 price tag you guys are paying. And no it's not as pretty and refined sounding as the RAALs.

Sure the raal is nice, but i would guess there is more to it then just the tweeter. How about the mid range, bass, imanging and soundstange?
post #298 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Veda, at least you are correctly comparing different brands of 'towers' side by side rather than comparing 'bookshelfs' & than trying to extrapolate what the towers will sound like.

And no, I didn't search out Axiom here. The Arx thread has been MIA for a while & when it popped up on the front page again, I read M80, so I came in to see what was up.

I thought that my advice was pragmatic & reasonable that suggested that the poster has a unique opportunity to compare the models head to head & then make his decision based on his own likes & dislikes...

TAM
post #299 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

Sure the raal is nice, but i would guess there is more to it then just the tweeter. How about the mid range, bass, imanging and soundstange?

I refuse to do a real critical listening until my listening room is done but if I have to estimate based on just side by side comparison with no real identical placements and treated room etc:

1) First initial impression: the A5 is way brighter.

2) Not sure if related to no 1 or just because the RAAL has ultra low distortion, I can listen at super loud level with the RAAL all day with no ear fatique. Not so with A5. It's not the amp either as I'm using the NAD C390DD with FLAC in USB flash stick direct and you all know how wonderful that new tech amp is.

3) Sierra RAAL has better separations between instruments and vocals. Not only each are more defined but also shaped (should I say voiced?) closer to the real things (I have a studio at home complete with grand piano, drums, guitars, etc which is used twice a week). I'd say more refined and probably accurate as well looking at the RAAL's freq response. Both towers give me equal amount of pleasure for casual listening but with the A5 I'm constantly reminded that the sounds come from a pair of speakers.

4) Bass on RAAL is deeper and a bit boomy which I blame the room. The A5 true to the driver tech is fast, controlled, and tight. Soundstage a bit wider on the A5.

5) In the end I get the feeling that the A5 sounds like how a studio monitor is supposed to be, ruthless with the details, and dynamically balanced top to bottom. But that is a deceptive perception as the freq response is probably ain't as flat as the RAALs aka it's not as accurate. Aside from that reality fact, think of a studio monitor and the + and -. There you have it.

Non-scientific of course and probably worthless to most people here. Actually it IS completely worthless as I'm comparing a $750 vs $2600 towers. Now I can compare the A5 with the $1200 KEF Q500 in the other room but I'll just go ahead and say get the A5 instead. I was going to build my HT room around the Q500 but depending on shipping costs I prefer the dynamic Arx. Honestly it's the all around speakers you can recommend to anyone regardless of musical taste and purpose then have them keep for the rest of their lives. And I really mean anyone given today's $750 price tag. It'll play acoustic guitar emotionally and next shred your ears with some metals.
Billy p likes this.
post #300 of 603 Old 08-04-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post

The A1bs are overkill for surround duty in my opinion.

No way are they overkill! I'm running vertical A2s as surrounds and it sounds great but probably overkill cool.gif But this is AVS the very definition of overkill biggrin.gif

jnordi over at the TAI forum runs A5s across the front and almost went with A5s all around with PSA subwoofers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page