**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 570 Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettob170 View Post

I have had these speakers so far for over a month and I have been very impressed so far with them over my RC-30's. The only issue is that certain songs sound a little sibilant, but could just be me, since I tend to think that about all speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The downside to a resolving tweeter is that it won't hide sibilance in source material.

[...]

the Arx is more neutral without the laid back treble of the Energy RC.

It's a combination of things. They will highlight bright recordings, while on excellent microphone and studio technique they should be dead-neutral. Secondly, direct toe-in will brighten them up. They've been designed to hit their tune toed just about halfway between square to the room and aimed right at you.

Based on that photograph I'd recommend twisting them both out quite a bit. The image should improve then too.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 570 Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^ Yup. That's what I was about to suggest for you GhettoB. You've got them toed in about 40deg. it looks like. Try a little less...say about 20-25-30. Play with it and listen to the same song and see what happens to your soundstage and depth. Mainly soundstage width. You'll know as you'll hear it widen past the speakers as many that have reviewed the A5's say they can image well when placed to the best of their room abilities

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #453 of 570 Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 33
ghettob170, I'll also piggyback onto what Jon and Ousooner said.

With the A5's, you will come to the realization that some recordings simply ARE sibilant because they are poor recordings. So, while decreasing your toe-in is solid advice, there are some recordings where the A5s will reveal the flaws to a degree that other loudspeakers do not.

This would be akin to having somebody wipe the residue off of one's eyeglasses and causing one to realize that their girlfriend wasn't quite as attractive as they originally thought. I have had this happen with many recordings.
kaiforce likes this.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #454 of 570 Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

You know - I have the same issue with sibilance. I'm very sensitive to it, and it drives me nuts.

The downside to a resolving tweeter is that it won't hide sibilance in source material. I had the Energy RC-10 awhile back, and have the Arx A1b now. The Energy is a laid back speaker, with emphasis in the low midrange and upper bass, along with a little bit shelved down response above1kHz - I'd assume the RC-30 is similar... The A1b is more neutral (at least it sounds that way to me).

My guess is that this is why sibilance seems more noticeable to you now - since the Arx is more neutral without the laid back treble of the Energy RC.

Thanks for this advice. I recently just purchased a pair of HiFiMan HE-400 headphones, and I listed to the same tracks and I realized that on certain ones, I preffered the sound with the 5k-10k range knocked down a few DB's on those as well. I think I am just very sensitive to it. Especially on certain recordings. Nothing wrong with EQ'ing to suit my tastes as far as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

It's a combination of things. They will highlight bright recordings, while on excellent microphone and studio technique they should be dead-neutral. Secondly, direct toe-in will brighten them up. They've been designed to hit their tune toed just about halfway between square to the room and aimed right at you.

Based on that photograph I'd recommend twisting them both out quite a bit. The image should improve then too.

I have made the adjustments you recommended, and rerun my receiver's EQ program and the speakers definitely sound a lot better to me now. Thanks for the help. A couple recordings still sound 'harsh' to me, but I am fully convinced that is the recording NOT the speaker. All of my other material has never sounded better.
post #455 of 570 Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm seriously considering the a5's, and matching center. I currently have swan diva 6.1's with the c3 center. I recently got both a sherwood newcastle r972, and an emotiva upa 500. Haven't tried the trinnov yet. The diva's sound great through the upa 500. I have a couple questions. Is the upa 500 sufficient to drive the a5's? I find that I'm really sensitive to high frequencies, and the diva's can sound shrill in the high end otherwise they are fantastic speakers. I have to listen to anything with high frequencies at a lower volume to minimize the shrillness. How is the a5 planar tweeter with high frequencies? I would probably add an hsu VTF-2 MK2 sub to the mix. Would that be a good sub for the arx's?

I'm also thinking about the oppo 103d, and not sure if darbee is enough of an improvement over the qdeo to justify the extra hundred bucks, but that's another topic.
post #456 of 570 Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
There's a new, informal review/commentary on the A5 over at HTS for anyone who's interested in reading it:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/72317-arx-a5-initiation-listening-party.html

post #457 of 570 Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question around break in for these speakers. From what I have heard from Jon and Buford looks like you really need to break these in to really get the full listening experience. I already think they are great I have had them a few weeks but in order to break them in, do I need to actually be able to see the driver moving or does the break in happen during normal listening levels where you have to touch the driver to see if it is actually moving? May be a dumb question but I'm not audio savvy yet.

Regardless buying these have been a great experience I have a 7.1 klipsch reference surround sound before I bought the 2 A1 speakers and have found myself watching movies and tv in 2.1. They are a very unusual speaker in a good way you can be stand almost directly in front of them and have a hard time telling music is coming from them. But in movies when you need to know something is moving across the screen they give great detail. I just ordered the matching center I will hold off on upgrading the A1s until I learn more about a potential upgrade to their line of speakers.

Pros- Very clean sounding and big sounding. Like everyone else says they can disappear. I can put my ears right up to them and even at high levels they don't sound distorted like the klipsch did although there was very minimal distortion with klipsch to be fair. They are very very heavy and well made, from what I read before them I was expecting below par quality I found the opposite to be true. I like the wrap better than the klipsch and everything fit together perfectly. I found the wood in the grill a nice touch over the typical plastic that you find. I can't figure out if I need the port plug in or not though. The only cons are it has taken my ears some adjusting I am use to the extra high end of the klipsch and I have a bose surround system in my car so I am not use to more balanced speakers. Also I have to turn up my receiver quite a bit more depending on the source to get to the same levels as the klipsch volume wise, I get that is from the difference in sensitivity. I just need to figure out how to sell my klipsch reference speakers at this point haha.

Here are some pictures comparing them to my existing klipsch reference rb-51 II.

post #458 of 570 Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my Arx A3rx-c's today. I'm running them in a 2.0 setup with an Onkyo NR-626. End game for me likely looks like a 3.1 setup with an A2 center and SVS PB-1000. I've never had any kind of speakers before, I must say this is quite the experience. I popped in The Dark Knight and the opening scene alone was unreal.
post #459 of 570 Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2 View Post

Question around break in for these speakers. From what I have heard from Jon and Buford looks like you really need to break these in to really get the full listening experience. I already think they are great I have had them a few weeks but in order to break them in, do I need to actually be able to see the driver moving or does the break in happen during normal listening levels where you have to touch the driver to see if it is actually moving? May be a dumb question but I'm not audio savvy yet.

Regardless buying these have been a great experience I have a 7.1 klipsch reference surround sound before I bought the 2 A1 speakers and have found myself watching movies and tv in 2.1. They are a very unusual speaker in a good way you can be stand almost directly in front of them and have a hard time telling music is coming from them. But in movies when you need to know something is moving across the screen they give great detail. I just ordered the matching center I will hold off on upgrading the A1s until I learn more about a potential upgrade to their line of speakers.

Pros- Very clean sounding and big sounding. Like everyone else says they can disappear. I can put my ears right up to them and even at high levels they don't sound distorted like the klipsch did although there was very minimal distortion with klipsch to be fair. They are very very heavy and well made, from what I read before them I was expecting below par quality I found the opposite to be true. I like the wrap better than the klipsch and everything fit together perfectly. I found the wood in the grill a nice touch over the typical plastic that you find. I can't figure out if I need the port plug in or not though. The only cons are it has taken my ears some adjusting I am use to the extra high end of the klipsch and I have a bose surround system in my car so I am not use to more balanced speakers. Also I have to turn up my receiver quite a bit more depending on the source to get to the same levels as the klipsch volume wise, I get that is from the difference in sensitivity. I just need to figure out how to sell my klipsch reference speakers at this point haha.

Here are some pictures comparing them to my existing klipsch reference rb-51 II.

Just enough to see the cones move maybe 1/4". You don't have to push them very hard.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #460 of 570 Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post

I received my Arx A3rx-c's today. I'm running them in a 2.0 setup with an Onkyo NR-626. End game for me likely looks like a 3.1 setup with an A2 center and SVS PB-1000. I've never had any kind of speakers before, I must say this is quite the experience. I popped in The Dark Knight and the opening scene alone was unreal.

Put on your helmet, it will only get better. I'm glad you enjoy them. Now go and listen-to/watch all your old favorites and prepare to be even more amazed.
kaiforce likes this.

post #461 of 570 Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I love my 5.1 Arx setup + PSA-XV15.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #462 of 570 Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here is some text from one of my earlier posts in reference to a solicitation for first-hand opinions comparing the A3rx-c and the A5, for the benefit and knowledge-base of this thread:

"The difference between the A5's and the A3rx-c's mostly resides in two categories: completely holographic imaging and intimate delicacy. The A3rx-c's lag behind the A5's in these two areas, but only just.

This takes NOTHING away from the A5's, as they are particularly special to me....but I think most people (myself and Jon included) have severely underestimated the quality of the Arx midwoofer as a midrange driver. Its a damn good midrange driver. It also has a simpler crossover with fewer components. However, the A5's dedicated midrange and additional midwoofer make it more suitable for larger spaces and higher output levels.

As the A3rx-c's approach the 100 hour mark and continue to really hit their stride, the differences between the two shrink. The tweeters, however, sound darn-near identical (which is an excellent thing)....with the gen-3 tweeter having more output and power handling ability...a good thing to have but certainly not necessary as the gen2 tweeter can hurt you.

The A5's have an ability to create a soundfield so expansive, that it, at times, appears to be coming from behind you....and the level of delicacy to which it resolves details (especially with stringed & woodwind instruments that are well recorded) is without peer within the Arx line....for now. However, the A5 has few peers if you add several hundred dollars to its price, so this is not a knock on the A3rx-c whatsoever.

My main point, don't underestimate the Arx midwoofer as a true midrange. It's shockingly good at resolving VERY fine details in a very refined way. The A3rx-c's are very similar to some very powerful 2-way stand monitors. I continue to be impressed by them.

So, clear as mud? wink.gif

EDIT: I should add that the A3rx-c's are indeed capable of disappearing into a deceptively large soundfield. However, the "holographic" properties that have been used by many to describe the A5's just don't apply to the A3rx-c's with quite the same frequency (in terms of the number of events) or the intensity. I described the A3rx-c's as an A5-lite and I find that to be the most apt description of them....and it is high praise."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500269/arx-a2-a3-or-a5-speakers/30#post_24386878
kaiforce likes this.

post #463 of 570 Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I wanted to let everyone know that is interested in the Arx line that I am selling my Arx system. Here is a link

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1519453/arx-a5s-a2rx-c-a1b

Thank you guys!
post #464 of 570 Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Liked: 28
Congratulations on the transfer of the 3rd gen tweeter into the A1's and the A5's for Spring release. Now that you got that out of the way, I'm patiently waiting for the ARX surrounds to complete my system biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #465 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was going to pull the trigger on an ascend acoustics 340se surround package, but then, these Arx speakers caught my eye. Does anyone know how a pair of A5's and an A2 center would compare to 3 340se's in a front soundstage. These would be paired with a pioneer 1222k 120wpc class d amp and a svs pb2000. I am looking for a package around $1000 to save money, but I don't want to pass on sound quality. These two brands seem like the best bang for your buck.
post #466 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Or possibly for the arx option, I would go with A3's. I also like that the Arx have just been refreshed. It seems that the ascends haven't been refreshed in a decade, still obviously good speakers though.
post #467 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Both are going to be great setups. The 3 Ascend 340's across the front stage would provide the closest sonic soundstage across the front, but you can do that same thing with 3 Chane A2's. The Chane setup looks like it'd be about $150ish cheaper for the front 3 (340's vs. A2's), which could come in handy to put more into your sub, stands, etc. The A3's are $80/pr more than the A2 pair so if you think you'll spend more than that on stands then another option is going with the A3's for possibly cheaper than a2's plus stands. The shipping might make it a little more than $80, but you can run those numbers.

Anyways, either will be a nice setup. Me personally, I'd do A5's and A2, but if you don't have a sub yet then I'd do A2's and put extra into your sub budget. I'm still waiting to see what Chane comes up with for their A7 that they are, might or are about to start working on.
kaiforce likes this.

post #468 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM

I already have a sub (svs pb2000) and an amp (pioneer 1222k 120wpc). I would need stands for the A2's across the front, so I am thinking the A'3's would be a better option. Would the A5's or A3's be better in my situation though? I don't see the point in getting the A5's with my current amp because it wouldn't really take advantage of the higher output. Since the cabinet and woofers are all the same size between the A5 and A3, I am guessing the sound and bass extension would be similar. Do you guys think the A3's or A5's would be a better choice? I am also noticing that the A5's weigh a staggering 55lbs each compared to the 40lb A3's.
post #469 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

I already have a sub (svs pb2000) and an amp (pioneer 1222k 120wpc). I would need stands for the A2's across the front, so I am thinking the A'3's would be a better option. Would the A5's or A3's be better in my situation though? I don't see the point in getting the A5's with my current amp because it wouldn't really take advantage of the higher output. Since the cabinet and woofers are all the same size between the A5 and A3, I am guessing the sound and bass extension would be similar. Do you guys think the A3's or A5's would be a better choice? I am also noticing that the A5's weigh a staggering 55lbs each compared to the 40lb A3's.

I can't speak for the actual response of each speaker, but Jon has spoken a few times about the addition of a dedicated midrange driver to the A5 over every other speaker in their lineup.

The addition of 15lb's give or take comes from the addition of 2 more drivers in the A5. As far as what you want...that's up to you to decide. The A5 likely has a higher dynamic range, dedicated midrange which should help out there and will have a little more low end I'd assume. You're probably going to cross over to the SVS somewhere in the 80ish range, but headroom isn't a bad thing and if you're running them in a larger room, higher volumes, etc ...that could help out.

3 A2's saves you almost $550 over the A5/A2 setup that you could then put into a another sub (if you can run 2). Or a tv/projector upgrade. Or whatever else you might need. Or save it! Totally up to you.
pmanyon likes this.

post #470 of 570 Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the info! I was just looking at Arx's site, and I didn't see the material of the woofers. Do you know what it is?
post #471 of 570 Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure, but material isn't the only thing that matters. Far from it.

post #472 of 570 Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Would my receiver be able to drive the A5's? Or the A3's? I am not looking to play at reference levels, but I would want it loud (crossed at 80hz). Amp: pioneer 1222k 120wpc class D amp
post #473 of 570 Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 AM

The A5
Sensitivity 90-92db
Wattage: 20-300watts
Ohms: 6 ohms

The A3
Sensitivity: 87.5db
Wattage: 20-250watts
Ohms: 8ohms

Can someone help me with this? My pioneer stats 120wpc (600 all channels). I know these ratings for receivers should be taken with a grain of salt, but anyway, which speaker would be a better match for my amp? The A5 has a higher sensitivity, but it's wattage is more and it's 6 ohms. The A3 on the other hand, has a lower sensitivity, but it's 8 ohms with a lower watt range. I am looking at listening levels around -10db max in a medium sized room. I don't want to get a separate amplifier because of space and money limitations. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #474 of 570 Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM

You should not have a problem with either speaker.

In terms of maximum output, the combination of lower impedance and higher sensitivity would allow your receiver to drive the A5 about 4-5 dB louder than the A3. However, unless your room is unusually large and you sit an unusually long distance from your speakers, either one should be fine if you never go louder than 10 dB below reference (assuming you've calibrated speaker levels to reference -- 75 dB when using the receiver's internal test tones).
pmanyon likes this.

post #475 of 570 Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks, So given the exact same wattage is being supplied to the A3 and the A5 from my receiver, It sounds like the A5 would be louder, thus easier to drive. Am I understanding you correctly?
post #476 of 570 Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

The A5 would require less power to drive to the same dB SPL. So in that sense it is easier. In another sense, because the impedance is lower the A5 will draw more current. This should not be a problem, however, unless the volume is such that the receiver is getting close to it's limits. Then the A5 might be a somewhat more difficult load and could cause a receiver shut down sooner than the A3.

At the levels you're listening at (again assuming a reasonably sized room), I doubt you'll have a problem with either.

post #477 of 570 Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 AM

It looks like the Arx woofer driver material is doped paper. Anyway, I'm still debating between the A5 and A3. Considering I am primarily going to be using these speakers for HT, wouldn't the A3's make more sense? I believe most recommend an 80hz crossover for HT purposes, so would the additional drivers on the A5 would be needed? I will be putting this in a medium size room with my pb2000, so I just don't see the benefit of more output. I also don't need the added extension if my crossover is set to 80hz. I already ordered an A2 to test run with my current speaker system (B and W M1 satellites), so I guess I will just have to see how the A2 sounds when I get it. If it sounds great, then the A3's should be more than enough to round out my system and may actually match better with the a2 center due to the identical driver setup. Any thoughts on this?
post #478 of 570 Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 AM

+1 for 200 posts (what an achievement!)
kaiforce likes this.
post #479 of 570 Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

It looks like the Arx woofer driver material is doped paper. Anyway, I'm still debating between the A5 and A3. Considering I am going to be primarily using these speakers for HT, wouldn't the A3's make more sense. I believe most recommend an 80hz crossover for HT purposes, so the additional drivers on the A5 would not be needed? I will be putting this in a medium size room with my pb2000, so I just don't see the gain of more output. I also don't need the added extension if my crossover is set to 80hz. I guess I will just have to see how the A2 sounds when I get it. If it sounds great, then the A3's should be more than enough to round out my system, and may actually match better with the a2 center due to the identical driver setup. Any thoughts on this?

It's not only the lows and output that differentiates the A3 and A5. You need to consider the fact that the A5 is a 3 way speaker with a dedicated mid-range driver, and the only one in the lineup with this driver. This gives the speaker more resolution and a more prominent mid-range that keeps up with intricate highs and the bellowing lows.
pmanyon likes this.
post #480 of 570 Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info, I would love to hear from any A3 or A5 owners on the two lines HT performance. I am starting to think I might always wonder what I am missing if I go with the A3.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page