**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #541 of 597 Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

I'm glad you enjoy them. One struggles to find a peer in performance within the A3rx-c's price bracket. Keep us updated here with your impressions.

Just discovered that I'll be relocating and will no longer be able to hold onto my A3rx-c. They were just purchased on 5/7/14 but I don't want to burden Jon Lane with return since honestly I'm not dissatisfied with the speakers.

Just added them to the classifieds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 597 Old 06-12-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I currently have a pair of A3rx-c's running with an Onkyo NR626. I'm looking at adding some additional components as I prepare to build my home theater. I've got a pair of A1's that I'm currently looking at buying and I will be purchasing a A2 when they come available. I've been weighing my options with subs and the two front runners for me at this point are the SVS-PB1000 and the Outlaw LFM-1. Is my NR626 enough to power this system or should I be looking at other options? If so, what kind of options do I have? I purchased the NR626 recently and I'd really prefer not to upgrade but if I must I will. Additionally, could anyone point me to some material that may help me determine this by myself in the future? I'm pretty new to the AV world and I really want to understand instead of being confused when some of you guys talk on here about speakers and receivers.
post #543 of 597 Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmalachi View Post
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I currently have a pair of A3rx-c's running with an Onkyo NR626. I'm looking at adding some additional components as I prepare to build my home theater. I've got a pair of A1's that I'm currently looking at buying and I will be purchasing a A2 when they come available. I've been weighing my options with subs and the two front runners for me at this point are the SVS-PB1000 and the Outlaw LFM-1. Is my NR626 enough to power this system or should I be looking at other options? If so, what kind of options do I have? I purchased the NR626 recently and I'd really prefer not to upgrade but if I must I will. Additionally, could anyone point me to some material that may help me determine this by myself in the future? I'm pretty new to the AV world and I really want to understand instead of being confused when some of you guys talk on here about speakers and receivers.
First, what is your room size?
Second, what's your budget?
Third, I usually recommend AVRs that have pre-out for external amps, but your AVR shouldn't have any issues powering them unless you like to play really loud.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #544 of 597 Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
First, what is your room size?
Second, what's your budget?
Third, I usually recommend AVRs that have pre-out for external amps, but your AVR shouldn't have any issues powering them unless you like to play really loud.
The current room is 15x12. My theater will likely be a bit smaller at this point. I'm estimating roughly 12x13. My budget is pretty set as I've already decided on the components. I will be spending the $279 for an A2 and my A1s are as good as purchased at this point. If I have to sell my AVR, that would free up roughly $200 + whatever I have to spend to get a receiver that can handle my system. I'd like to be roughly around $500 for a sub but my preference goes to less, $500 is absolute max for me on a sub. My current receiver does not have pre-outs for external amps. I am going to do some planning tonight and measure out to determine what my actual theater size will be. I will provide those numbers later this evening if they are truly necessary for this discussion. I would say my estimations are very close though.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is my budget is flexible but I don't want to break the bank on my entire setup either. I'd like to stay under the $400 mark if I have to get a new receiver.
post #545 of 597 Old 06-12-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The current room is 15x12. My theater will likely be a bit smaller at this point. I'm estimating roughly 12x13. My budget is pretty set as I've already decided on the components. I will be spending the $279 for an A2 and my A1s are as good as purchased at this point. If I have to sell my AVR, that would free up roughly $200 + whatever I have to spend to get a receiver that can handle my system. I'd like to be roughly around $500 for a sub but my preference goes to less, $500 is absolute max for me on a sub. My current receiver does not have pre-outs for external amps. I am going to do some planning tonight and measure out to determine what my actual theater size will be. I will provide those numbers later this evening if they are truly necessary for this discussion. I would say my estimations are very close though.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is my budget is flexible but I don't want to break the bank on my entire setup either. I'd like to stay under the $400 mark if I have to get a new receiver.
Keep the AVR. Spend more on your sub. The Rythmik LV12R is $589 shipped. Or go with a dual 12" seal sub from Reaction Audio for $499.
post #546 of 597 Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Keep the AVR. Spend more on your sub. The Rythmik LV12R is $589 shipped. Or go with a dual 12" seal sub from Reaction Audio for $499.
Thanks! This may be off topic but could you point me in some direction as to how you determined that my current AVR would be okay with all of the components? If this is too off topic for the thread, a PM would be great as well.
post #547 of 597 Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! This may be off topic but could you point me in some direction as to how you determined that my current AVR would be okay with all of the components? If this is too off topic for the thread, a PM would be great as well.
Arx speakers do not require much power to be driven. Your AVR should be able to do at least 50 wpc with all channels driven so you should be fine with that.
post #548 of 597 Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With atmos receivers about to be released, I'm wondering if 6 Arx A5rx-c with center, 4 a1's for heights might be an affordable way to move into atmos. I understand the speakers aren't available yet.
post #549 of 597 Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey all,

I am looking for some bookshelves to go with my new u-turn audio turntable. i currently have a set of Onix x-ls speakers connected to an onkyo 787 receiver. Looking to upgrade my listening experience. I have not done much research on speakers the last couple of years and came across this thread. Any opinions about using the A2rx-c as mains in a music only setup? Would they most likely out perform the x-ls speakers? Thanks. Cant find a lot of threads on the arcs and have never heard of the brand before, thanks for any help.

Mark-
post #550 of 597 Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for some bookshelves to go with my new u-turn audio turntable. i currently have a set of Onix x-ls speakers connected to an onkyo 787 receiver. Looking to upgrade my listening experience. I have not done much research on speakers the last couple of years and came across this thread. Any opinions about using the A2rx-c as mains in a music only setup? Would they most likely out perform the x-ls speakers? Thanks. Cant find a lot of threads on the arcs and have never heard of the brand before, thanks for any help.
I've got the. Arx-A3rx-c and the Arx-A2rx-c for center and the original Arx-A3 for surround. They are awesome for music and movies. I mainly listen to music and that's the reason why I went with Arx. You can go to the Hime Theater Forum, and they have a review of the Arx-A5.

The A2rx-c will be just fine for what you want, I would suggest adding a subwoofer if you listen to bass heavy music.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #551 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can anyone enlighten me as to how these sound in comparison to the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers?

Thanks!
post #552 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normn3116 View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to how these sound in comparison to the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers?

Thanks!
I own both. The Arx are just better in overall sound. Specially with music.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #553 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I own both. The Arx are just better in overall sound. Specially with music.
Which Andrew Jones ones do you own? I have the Fs51s and associated HT set (with a DIY sub).
post #554 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which Andrew Jones ones do you own? I have the Fs51s and associated HT set (with a DIY sub).
The Phase 2. I'm only using the BS22 in the garage only. The FS52 have been given away.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #555 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The Phase 2. I'm only using the BS22 in the garage only. The FS52 have been given away.
So for someone coming from the FS51s (or 52s), are the A3's more than enough speaker?
post #556 of 597 Old 07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So for someone coming from the FS51s (or 52s), are the A3's more than enough speaker?
Definitely.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #557 of 597 Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
After the A3rx-c's get fully run-in, they will have a dimensionality and texture that the Pioneers (good as they are) simply do not possess. I have a local bud with the full Pio setup. They are impossible to beat for the price (I told him to buy them), but Arx they are not.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-02-2014 at 07:59 AM.
post #558 of 597 Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pre-orders open for A1rx-c and A2rx-c

Pre-orders are now open on the Chane website for the A1rx-c and A2rx-c. Jon posted that they expect to ship in the second half of August!
post #559 of 597 Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrhino View Post
Pre-orders are now open on the Chane website for the A1rx-c and A2rx-c. Jon posted that they expect to ship in the second half of August!
Excellent! No word on the A5 I gather?
post #560 of 597 Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
These are beginning to pigue my interest.

I see Chane ‘Arx’ A5 and Chane A5rx-c. Are they the same speaker or is one a successor to the other.
If yes, what is different.

I may test the waters with a pair of the A1rx-c bookshelves so see how i like the sound before venturing up the food chain.

Receiver: Onkyo NR818
Speakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6
SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2
Source: Pioneer BDP62FD
Display:Panasonic TC P50S60
post #561 of 597 Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
slim, i spoke with john today.

the new chane a5rx-c is the 3rd generation. Has a better tweeter and crossovers. the other three in the series are the 3rd generation with the updated hardware as well.

I am torn. I should stay in budget and just order the a3 and i was told by john they are actually a bit more detailed for music than the a5 prototype he has ready for production (just trying a manufacture to put them together and prepare them for orders) but something about having a dedicated mid range speaker and extra woofer just turns me on haha. He said the a5 is better than the a3 in a few ways - soundstage, volume and something else I can't remember. Despite the a3 having a midwoofer, he said i would be better able to distinguish individual instruments and details. That is strange to me. but I guess a midwoofer is the same as a midrange with proper crossover? I think most people would filter at 80hz. He made it sound like he preferred the a3 more than the a5 unless you want more noise but both still pretty similar

I was thinking abuot getting the a1 with a2 center as well or just get the a3 with a2 and accept the fact I really don't want to spend over 2gs on my total system

As far as the new a5 release, John is afraid it will actually be later this year around november

Last edited by richabi; 07-24-2014 at 08:31 PM.
post #562 of 597 Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
slim, i spoke with john today.

the new chane a5rx-c is the 3rd generation. Has a better tweeter and crossovers. the other three in the series are the 3rd generation with the updated hardware as well.

I am torn. I should stay in budget and just order the a3 and i was told by john they are actually a bit more detailed for music than the a5 prototype he has ready for production (just trying a manufacture to put them together and prepare them for orders) but something about having a dedicated mid range speaker and extra woofer just turns me on haha. He said the a5 is better than the a3 in a few ways - soundstage, volume and something else I can't remember. Despite the a3 having a midwoofer, he said i would be better able to distinguish individual instruments and details. That is strange to me. but I guess a midwoofer is the same as a midrange with proper crossover? I think most people would filter at 80hz. He made it sound like he preferred the a3 more than the a5 unless you want more noise but both still pretty similar

I was thinking abuot getting the a1 with a2 center as well or just get the a3 with a2 and accept the fact I really don't want to spend over 2gs on my total system

As far as the new a5 release, John is afraid it will actually be later this year around november

Thanks for the clarification.
I am am also leaning towards the a5 because of the dedicated mid range.
I listen to music twice as much as i do movies.
If i went the a3 route i'll always wonder about the a5.
I'll be keeping my ears to the ground before i make any moves.

post #563 of 597 Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Have any Chane owners been past owners of any of the Rocket speakers, specifically the RS 760(750). i am considering ordering the Chanes and wondering how they compare to my RS 760s. Thanks.

Mark-
post #564 of 597 Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimDub13 View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
I am am also leaning towards the a5 because of the dedicated mid range.
I listen to music twice as much as i do movies.
If i went the a3 route i'll always wonder about the a5.
I'll be keeping my ears to the ground before i make any moves.

I need to be more specific with something I said. The tweeter is better but not in quality of sound. it can just handle more wattage without decreasing sound quality. He wanted a tweeter he could use across the whole line (they are looking into building higher end speakers than the a5)

If you listen to mostly music, I would save up and do the a5 IF you like your music loud and/or party. waiting 4 months is nothing compared to regretting a purchase for 10 years.

Despite me wanting the best of everything, I think I will settle with the a3 because the speakers will be 40 HT 40 games and 20 music.
I am also considering the EMP TEK e55ti and HTD level 3. I keep increasing my max budget but i think it is now at 2,000 total and can't go beyond that (unless I get a dang commission check already!)

Hope this helps
post #565 of 597 Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
So is the A7 scrapped or what? Seems like it's taken quite awhile just to get the ARX speakers update/in-stock..whatever. Love to see what Jon can do with a slightly larger tower that can handle a little more volume for a larger living space.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #566 of 597 Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 AM

^^^
Thanks for the additional clarification.
When i do make the move it is certainly going to be the A5.
I'll try to get my feet wet with the A1s and build from there.

Curious to see what else they may be planning beyond the A5s.
This hobby can be pretty expensive especially when one keeps hanging on these boards

post #567 of 597 Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 PM

Arx's against high end

I know Arx speakers are well regarded. I was planning to get a A1b(or the new A1rx-c) to upgrade from Pioneer BS22. But i increased by budget(five fold) and planning to get Ascend Sierra 2 speakers(to avoid the future upgrade itch)

While both are at very different price points, it would be interesting to know how well A1b's compare to Sierra 2's. Throw in Philharmonitor(another well regarded speaker) in the discussion to get an idea of how well regarded speakers at different price points compare to each other.

A1b - 350 /pair
Philharmonitor - 850 /pair
Sierra 2 - 1500 /pair.

Something to note is that all of them have Ribbon tweeters.
post #568 of 597 Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hey guys. I'm currently looking to switch from a klipsch front soundstage of 62s. I've looked at many different speakers. Some in the same range, some much more expensive. Just looking for a more natural sound but with the same presence and power I enjoy out of my klipsch.

Anyway the reason I am here is, 1) this is a non expensive replacement (unlike some $2500 investments I've been looking at) and 2) It looks like this has a ribbon tweeter, and I've heard pretty good things about those. Def looking to switch from horn tweeter, as they don't agree with dialogue from the center channel very much. Can someone tell me how the top Chane model performs with 100% home theater (blu ray watching)?

((((EDIT TO ADD: Looks like someone else is in the same boat as me)))))

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)

Last edited by Teremei; 08-08-2014 at 09:18 PM.
post #569 of 597 Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The Arx do not have a true ribbon tweeter. It is a planar magnetic tweeter.
post #570 of 597 Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
While both are at very different price points, it would be interesting to know how well A1b's compare to Sierra 2's. Throw in Philharmonitor(another well regarded speaker) in the discussion to get an idea of how well regarded speakers at different price points compare to each other.
Chane always recommends that users compare product category to product category more than price to price. For example, 5.25"-based 2-ways in the dozen liter class or thereabouts make for a meaningful comparison. Good to see you in this mode too.

We don't use fancy finishes but we have done our best to include valid technologies. From there it's really more a case of acoustical size class than just about anything else.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page