**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #571 of 597 Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Spoke with Jon late last week. A1rx-c's will be stocked and shipping very soon... Possibly this week.

A2rx-c's should also be in stock in a few days and shipping.

The A5rx-c is very late in its development cycle. Can't say too much of what Jon and I discussed, but the sound has been noticeably refined over the first gen A5's. Possibly another game changer.

The A5rx-c has an all new crossover that accompanies the gen 3 planar tweeter. The bass alignment goes basically unchanged. Quite a bit of tuning has been done to the overall character of the system.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-25-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 597 Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the A1b's and A5's. John knows how to bring out the best in his designs. The A5's are fantastic already, the A5rx's must be incredible.
post #573 of 597 Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandg View Post
I have the A1b's and A5's. John knows how to bring out the best in his designs. The A5's are fantastic already, the A5rx's must be incredible.
They are going to be evolutionary, but it's not a small step. It has a smoothed midrange response (which was already pretty flat to begin with) and has a simplified crossover between the tweeter and midrange with several components having been eliminated altogether due to the superior native response curve of the gen 3 planar tweeter.

Mo simple is MO BETTAH, in another vernacular.

This isn't to say that the "Arx" sound had been discarded. To the contrary, it has been refined and brought to new levels of clarity and smoothness.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #574 of 597 Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 AM

Liked: 0
I can't make up my mind between a few speakers, hopefully someone here can help. I listen to music 80% of the time and movies 20%. I mostly listen to metal (death, doom, thrash, progressive) and prog rock with some jazz and blues thrown in there as well.

I've been looking into Tekton's lore series (Lore, Mini Lore, Lore-S) and the high efficiency and impressive frequency response are extremely attractive. The unorthodox approach is very enticing, especially with some of the reviews Tekton has been getting.

The Chane series is even more interesting, though, with the insanely great pricing and more conventional design. It looks like these speakers would be able to handle a broader range of music and have a lower risk of breaking up with extremely fast paced metal music. I'm just not at all certain on which would better suit my purposes.

My room is 15 x 25 x 10 with an opening to a bathroom and another to a hallway. I mainly listen to FLAC (some in hi-res) through a Schiit Bifrost Uber. I use the Schiit Asgard 2 as a preamp into my Emotiva mini-X a-100 amp. I have a cheap Martin Logan 12" subwoofer split out of the preamp. My current speakers are Klipsch R-15M bookshelf speakers that, while nice, are a bit grainy and piercing and don't integrate well on the low end at all.

Any advice would be wonderful.
post #575 of 597 Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
I can't make up my mind between a few speakers, hopefully someone here can help. I listen to music 80% of the time and movies 20%. I mostly listen to metal (death, doom, thrash, progressive) and prog rock with some jazz and blues thrown in there as well.

I've been looking into Tekton's lore series (Lore, Mini Lore, Lore-S) and the high efficiency and impressive frequency response are extremely attractive. The unorthodox approach is very enticing, especially with some of the reviews Tekton has been getting.

The Chane series is even more interesting, though, with the insanely great pricing and more conventional design. It looks like these speakers would be able to handle a broader range of music and have a lower risk of breaking up with extremely fast paced metal music. I'm just not at all certain on which would better suit my purposes.

My room is 15 x 25 x 10 with an opening to a bathroom and another to a hallway. I mainly listen to FLAC (some in hi-res) through a Schiit Bifrost Uber. I use the Schiit Asgard 2 as a preamp into my Emotiva mini-X a-100 amp. I have a cheap Martin Logan 12" subwoofer split out of the preamp. My current speakers are Klipsch R-15M bookshelf speakers that, while nice, are a bit grainy and piercing and don't integrate well on the low end at all.

Any advice would be wonderful.
Well, obviously all the happy and satisfied Arx owners here are going to be biased toward Arx.

I think that the A3rx-c towers would integrate very well into your system. They are an easy load to drive, offer added sensitivity over the A1rx-c book shelf speakers, and will crossover well into your sub.

The Arx series does every music type well. I say this having come from some Klipsch RF-82 bookshelf speakers. The grain wears on you.

post #576 of 597 Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Spoke with Jon late last week. A1rx-c's will be stocked and shipping very soon... Possibly this week.

A2rx-c's should also be in stock in a few days and shipping.
Both models on hand and shipping daily...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #577 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
World's most expensive Arx A5

Considering I paid $1400 total with shipping then custom painted myself Suzuki Sunlight Cooper (SX4) adding up total to $2000... Oh and I haven't got a chance polishing them yet. This is straight from the workshop.

Tried to take photos but phone camera can't show the metallic glimmer and the true orange reddish color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_182036.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	254098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181507.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	254106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181441.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	254114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181424.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	254122   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181414.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	254130  

Name:	20140909_181407.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	254138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181235.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	254146  
post #578 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Considering I paid $1400 total with shipping then custom painted myself Suzuki Sunlight Cooper (SX4) adding up total to $2000... Oh and I haven't got a chance polishing them yet. This is straight from the workshop.

Tried to take photos but phone camera can't show the metallic glimmer and the true orange reddish color.
Holy crap those look amazing. Great work!

post #579 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Beautiful job on the paint!!
post #580 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandg View Post
Beautiful job on the paint!!
Thanks. Turned out much better than the Suzuki White floorstander, custom wine and McLaren Azure Blue bookshelves I made before. The A5 is for a lounge I'm building at the office.
post #581 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Have you ever thought about doing vinyl (like 3M, etc) instead of paint? Always wondered how easy it'd be with speakers that have sharp edges like these. You could pick up a gloss black/piano black/etc vinyl and wrap them fairly easily I'd think.

Still love to hear if there is an a7 in the works

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #582 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
Have you ever thought about doing vinyl (like 3M, etc) instead of paint? Always wondered how easy it'd be with speakers that have sharp edges like these. You could pick up a gloss black/piano black/etc vinyl and wrap them fairly easily I'd think.

Still love to hear if there is an a7 in the works
I'd get an A7. I can always take it to a shop that does car stickers, does a wrap of whatever images or colors one wants and bring it back to my workshop for a clear coat finish. That would make it similar to any of those custom show cars. But then speakers last a long time so I want something that look classy, versatile and can be moved to different rooms. Auto paint also withstand weather better as proven by my other speaker that's positioned almost right below the void without a roof. By using metallic paint the A5 would look very different in a different light as pictured below. However having said that I really dig a Koi fish wrapped speaker I saw a long time ago. Always wanted to replicate it but couldn't find the perfect image off the net. Someday for a different project or if I get bored with my other floorstanders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140909_182015.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	254562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181706.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	254570   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181646.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	254578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140909_181607.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	254586  

Last edited by Veda; 09-09-2014 at 09:04 AM.
post #583 of 597 Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'd get an A7. I can always take it to a shop that does car stickers, does a wrap of whatever images or colors one wants and bring it back to my workshop for a clear coat finish. That would make it similar to any of those custom show cars. But then speakers last a long time so I want something that look classy, versatile and can be moved to different rooms. Auto paint also withstand weather better as proven by my other speaker that's positioned almost right below the void without a roof. By using metallic paint the A5 would look very different in a different light as pictured below. However having said that I really dig a Koi fish wrapped speaker I saw a long time ago. Always wanted to replicate it but couldn't find the perfect image off the net. Someday for a different project or if I get bored with my other floorstanders.
Very / very cool!!
I appreciate taking a known great product and modifying it to upgrade in looks and or performance.
Can you tell us was this a major project, such as 10 - 12 hours, prep work, etc.
I know know this isn't diy section, but if anyone has seen these speakers in a "before" and now "after" state, you will soon know what a huge difference this is.
Thanks!

Denon X4000
Funk FW 15.2 (The Beast) & SVS PB12+
CoolerGuys Cabcool 1202 Programable Thermal Fans
EMP Tek E55Ti Towers / E56 Ci Center
Sunfire CRS-3 On Walls (Heights)
post #584 of 597 Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
Very / very cool!!
I appreciate taking a known great product and modifying it to upgrade in looks and or performance.
Can you tell us was this a major project, such as 10 - 12 hours, prep work, etc.
I know know this isn't diy section, but if anyone has seen these speakers in a "before" and now "after" state, you will soon know what a huge difference this is.
Thanks!
Well it's not really DIY but more of souping up or decorating an already existing product. It's not much different from being an automobile enthusiast. We buy rims costing upwards of $2k usually just make a car look prettier without regards to performance of the rims or the car itself. With speakers we can get a pair that has the accuracy or sound characteristics we prefer, having the advantage of best performance can be had for cheap, then spend very little to turn it into the best of the best. By best I mean top performance + looks. In can put these A5 next to some $8k speakers and people would think they cost the same as these are prettier than top model PSB etc. They wouldn't be able to tell from the sound either as it's all so subjective. In addition I would never put a crappy looking speaker (anything without real wood veneer or paint) in my livingroom or office even if it's the best speakers ever made. There's always that decoration element in this hobby so it makes sense to always choose the best finish when the option presents itself. Speakers last decades.

In regards to this particular A5, I didn't do the work as I just told my workshop manager to do all the work himself. But I told him to paint it as is without disassembling the woofers etc as last time. Chose the color from a bunch of sample plates, sand it, paint it, clear coat, then into the oven alongside a car. Yes I got a bit lazy this time. Took him 2 days but he didn't spend continuous time working on it.
post #585 of 597 Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh I forgot to mention the actual work hours are only 3 hours. The total cost inc labor + paint is no more than $25. The usual custom finish speaker companies offer is an additional $500 but if you're not gonna do it yourself then I think it's still worth it.
post #586 of 597 Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
sand it, paint it, clear coat, then into the oven alongside a car.
Wait. You BAKED your speakers? At what temperature? What did this do to the paper cones, the surrounds, the electronics? This doesn't sound like it would be good for the speakers.
post #587 of 597 Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope that's sarcasm lol
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #588 of 597 Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention the actual work hours are only 3 hours. The total cost inc labor + paint is no more than $25. The usual custom finish speaker companies offer is an additional $500 but if you're not gonna do it yourself then I think it's still worth it.
I can't stop looking @ this finish!!...At first, I really liked the color, now I love it!!
My current towers are EMPTek E55Ti's that I modified by adding Morel 1 1/8" tweeters as I felt that was the only area for improvement...I am happy with this mod, but the new ARX A5rx-c about to come out is really what I think I will end up with...Not sure there was ever a comparison of the EMPTek 55's vs Current version of the ARX 5's?
The ARX would be about $100 more for the pair than the EMPTeks, but then again, what about a ARX Center channel?....The EMPTek E56 center channel is bad as$$.
Sorry to day dream on your post....Your finish along with the standard performance of the ARX has really got me thinking now.
Thanks again

Denon X4000
Funk FW 15.2 (The Beast) & SVS PB12+
CoolerGuys Cabcool 1202 Programable Thermal Fans
EMP Tek E55Ti Towers / E56 Ci Center
Sunfire CRS-3 On Walls (Heights)
post #589 of 597 Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

There was one comparison...EMP e55ti/ARX A5/HTD Level 3, but it was VERY iffy. He chose the EMP, but there were a lot of things that weren't right in the comparison and didn't make sense. Both ARX and EMP will likely be some of the best choices around this budget (for towers). I don't know about the HTD Level 3 tower as I haven't heard it either, but the 2" midrange and 8" woofers is a weird combo and could have inherent problems I believe.

Obviously everyone's musical taste, speaker/sound preferences and room characteristics will be different so while a comparison is fun to read and can be helpful on some levels, it's never going to help 100%. Still, they're fun to read and see what people think of each.

post #590 of 597 Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
Wait. You BAKED your speakers? At what temperature? What did this do to the paper cones, the surrounds, the electronics? This doesn't sound like it would be good for the speakers.
30 mins at 130F. If all cars can withstand an oven for 1 hour then speakers with simpler electronics should be ok. None of my "baked" speakers be it PSBs, Ascends, KEFs, Focal, Dynaudio etc exhibit any problem after 5 years. Scanspeak carbonfibre pulp drivers, Seas, etc no issue.
post #591 of 597 Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't stop looking @ this finish!!...At first, I really liked the color, now I love it!!
I looked at 20+ orange plates including McLaren Volcano Orange under sunlight and indoor to ensure flexibility in placement. The Suzuki color is the only one that can look both classy yet exciting. It's between red and orange, metallic will ensure it's never boring. Matches any room from classical, minimalist, all wood. My next week's project will be another floorstander for a small gym. Some considerations but metallic violet is probably best as seen from a gym's pic below. Will post in DIY section later as non Chane related.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	green.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	260362   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	260370   Click image for larger version

Name:	17269_1_.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	260386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DavidBarton.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	260394  
post #592 of 597 Old 09-14-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
My current towers are EMPTek E55Ti's that I modified by adding Morel 1 1/8" tweeters as I felt that was the only area for improvement...I am happy with this mod, but the new ARX A5rx-c about to come out is really what I think I will end up with...Not sure there was ever a comparison of the EMPTek 55's vs Current version of the ARX 5's?
The ARX would be about $100 more for the pair than the EMPTeks, but then again, what about a ARX Center channel?....The EMPTek E56 center channel is bad as$$.
Sorry to day dream on your post....Your finish along with the standard performance of the ARX has really got me thinking now.
Thanks again
If you want a warm and neutral speaker, I would suggest the Arx.

If you want a slightly bright and neutral speaker, I would suggest the EmpTek.

You are talking about looks rather than sound.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #593 of 597 Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

If you want a slightly bright and neutral speaker, I would suggest the EmpTek.

You are talking about looks rather than sound.

I, along with 99% of other EMP owners, wouldn't come close to calling the EMP speakers bright. Not even slightly lol. Most of us want the tweeter level raised a few dB's. After 5+ people said that Audyssey raised their tweeter level (above 3kHz or so) across the board...I figured it's less of a room issue and more of a tweeter level issue. Well, not an 'issue', but just that the tweeter is very neutral and blends in completely. Maybe a little veiled at times. My room seems to eat up HF's like crazy as I can go from Audyssey/Audyssey Flat to turning OFF all EQ and it's like you put a brick wall in front of the speakers. Large, open room with carpet, no side walls near them, etc.

I'd still love to hear the ARX speakers though. If Jon wants someone to give an opinion on them and how they compare (IN MY ROOM) to the EMP setup..I'd love that!
Gmash likes this.

post #594 of 597 Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
My experience is completely different. As this is a science forum I equate "neutral" with accurate flat freq and "warm" as slowness. In my room using the same components, comparing the A5 to top models from KEF, PSB, Focal, Dynaudio, to RAAL based internet direct brands all resulted in the A5:

1) Being "brighter" than the rest but that could be not because of emphasized treble but rather higher distortion of the tweeter. No idea as I haven't seen the distortion measurement on the tweeter alone. I keep wishing for more clarity.

2) The lack of any warmth. A fast accurate speaker gives out whatever the recording has. I associate "warmth" with slow decay and smearing which could be pleasant to mask bad recordings but hardly a quality of a good speaker.

I would put the A5 in the group of accurate transparent speaker. Plays everything well because it shows everything as is including the bad and impressively dynamic woofers which produces clean tight bass. Not without downside but impressive for the price.
GusGus748s likes this.

Last edited by Veda; 09-15-2014 at 05:36 AM.
post #595 of 597 Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My experience is completely different. As this is a science forum I equate "neutral" with accurate flat freq and "warm" as slowness. In my room using the same components, comparing the A5 to top models from KEF, PSB, Focal, Dynaudio, to RAAL based internet direct brands all resulted in the A5:

1) Being "brighter" than the rest but that could be not because of emphasized treble but rather higher distortion of the tweeter. No idea as I haven't seen the distortion measurement on the tweeter alone. I keep wishing for more clarity.

2) The lack of any warmth. A fast accurate speaker gives out whatever the recording has. I associate "warmth" with slow decay and smearing which could be pleasant to mask bad recordings but hardly a quality of a good speaker.

I would put the A5 in the group of accurate transparent speaker. Plays everything well because it shows everything as is including the bad and impressively dynamic woofers which produces clean tight bass. Not without downside but impressive for the price.
The difference could be due to a variety of factors, but tweeter distortion relative to any of those listed would not be one of them.

I have heard a lot of comments on the A5's and hearing of them lacking in clarity is a first.

If anything, the A5's are inclined toward being revealing such that they can be slightly clinical in some cases.

EDIT: I should note that I completely agree with your point #2 and your last paragraph.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 09-16-2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #596 of 597 Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I have heard a lot of comments on the A5's and hearing of them lacking in clarity is a first.
Hearing can be deceptive, distortion can make an equipment sound sharper and clinical and yet when compared to real revealing speakers you can tell it's really not clearer. For example some people think 192 kbs MP3 is clearer than smoother FLAC. Please keep in mind that I'm comparing the A5 with some top model speakers costing many times more though price has no impact on my judgement. If their top ends are more defined and clearer at the same setup and position then I can only surmise it's a weakness of the A5. The real scientific proof would be in the distortion measurement which I think right now no one has seen. I can say that based on my extensive listening of the A5 I feel it lacked that clarity to join the best of the best out there which just happened to be costing many times more.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #597 of 597 Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hearing can be deceptive, distortion can make an equipment sound sharper and clinical and yet when compared to real revealing speakers you can tell it's really not clearer. For example some people think 192 kbs MP3 is clearer than smoother FLAC. Please keep in mind that I'm comparing the A5 with some top model speakers costing many times more though price has no impact on my judgement. If their top ends are more defined and clearer at the same setup and position then I can only surmise it's a weakness of the A5. The real scientific proof would be in the distortion measurement which I think right now no one has seen. I can say that based on my extensive listening of the A5 I feel it lacked that clarity to join the best of the best out there which just happened to be costing many times more.
I agree with the phraseology you use in this post.

For what it's worth, I've seen the measurements and there are few tweeters that have substantially lower distortion at consumer listening levels. Could crossover improvements bring more clarity?

Absolutely. In fact, aside from the gen 3 tweeter having still yet less distortion than the gen 2 used in the A5 you have, simplifying the crossover and upgrading some of the components are things that were top priorities for the A5rx-c.

I've even discussed with Jon doing a small run of A5rx-c's with top quality crossover components at a decent price premium over the incoming standard model.

You're certainly correct that improvements could be made for more funds.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page