**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #661 of 666 Old 11-19-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
Uhh I'm the one with the orange painted A5, it's like 2 pages back, how could you forgot so soon? Which ribbon based speakers do you own?

I don't understand your comment above, are you saying the design is flawed or there's a defect in my A5? Which is it?
I'm not saying EITHER of those things.

Further, I've had several hours of listening time on each of two Salk models with RAAL ribbon tweeters. The ST and the HT2-TL. You're not going to change my listening impressions, nor I yours. I suggest we just drop the topic from the discussion.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 666 Old 11-20-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I'm not saying EITHER of those things.

Further, I've had several hours of listening time on each of two Salk models with RAAL ribbon tweeters. The ST and the HT2-TL. You're not going to change my listening impressions, nor I yours. I suggest we just drop the topic from the discussion.
I never attempted to convince you otherwise knowing that you're the biggest fanboy of Arx since it's inception. We got plenty of pages all over the net of you just shooting down anything that people say better in the slightest way than the Arx. Several hours of listening through 50-60 year old ears don't constitute as much unless you actually own and live with them (like me).

As a man of the law you should be able to answer my question straight up regarding your own comment: "That's more of a crossover or level matching issue between drivers then."

What are you implying? My Arx is a factory defect? If it's not defective then it has to sound better than anything else out there?
post #663 of 666 Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
I never attempted to convince you otherwise knowing that you're the biggest fanboy of Arx since it's inception. We got plenty of pages all over the net of you just shooting down anything that people say better in the slightest way than the Arx. Several hours of listening through 50-60 year old ears don't constitute as much unless you actually own and live with them (like me).

As a man of the law you should be able to answer my question straight up regarding your own comment: "That's more of a crossover or level matching issue between drivers then."

What are you implying? My Arx is a factory defect? If it's not defective then it has to sound better than anything else out there?
1) You did articulate that Arx was forward with regard to the nature of its sound, and later that others are less forward, such as the RAAL tweeter products you own.

EDIT: I want to add that the difference I am stating is not glaring and that the Salks sounded excellent as well, without caveat. It's just a different taste in tuning between designers. I'll also add that most novice listeners would likely not even notice the difference as I did.

2) I'm no where near 50 or 60.

3) Having worked in radio and live music for a decade prior to entering law enforcement, I used to make a living off of hearing nuances....so how do you know that it doesn't take me more than a few hours to really get a solid impression?

4) Your clear implication about Arx was that the ribbon tweeters were less forward than a planar magnetic tweeter such as the Arx tweeter. I stated, in sum, that whether a tweeter is forward or not is more a function of the design of the cabinet and crossover (I.e. level matching) than of the inherent forward nature of the drivers themselves.....as they tend to sound similar. In other words, it's neither a flaw nor a deficiency. It demonstrates a different design goal. Additionally, virtually all of the RAAL ribbons I've heard have been more forward in their presentation than what I've heard in Arx, with the A5 being most similar to the RAAL ribbon due to its slightly different tuning and design from the rest of the Arx series.

5) Your listening experiences, while they are wholly your own, do not match what i have heard with regard to the RAAL ribbon and the Arx tweeter as heard in the A5, A2, A3, A1, or the new A2rx-c/A3rx-c. So, as I stated before, we are forced to agree-to-disagree as you won't change my mind and I won't change yours.

6) I have not yet found a tower near the A5's price that bests it in anything but bass output. Your assertions are correct and I stand by them until a new entry into the marketplace offers a true, price competitive alternative. If wanting the best performance for my dollar makes me a fanboy, then I welcome the title. I suppose I'm also a coupon fanboy and a don't-air-condition-the-neighborhood fanboy, and a negotiate-the-best-deal-on-my-car fanboy. I also suspect that, in this economy, I am not alone in wanting to get the best bang for my buck.

But the fanboy list is growing. Including several moderators over at HTS, and many listeners. I'm done with the tongue in cheek, but you get my point that your comment about me being a fanboy is, at best, irrelevant.

Further, what you don't see is that i have repeatedly steered friends into much more expensive loudspeakers such as the likes of Salk, Philharmonic Audio, Seaton audio, etc for products that are simply out of the size and performance class of Arx. But none of those conversations made it onto the interwebz so i guess they never happened.

Can we agree to drop this thread derail now? I'm willing if you're willing. Let's just get back on topic.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 11-20-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #664 of 666 Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jon makes/designs a great speaker at a great price point. I don't have the luxury of listening to various brands in my area, and know that subtleties and improvements do exist as one escalates in pricing. However, they never fail to make me pleased with my purchase. There are many choices in audio, and as long as one is pleased with the sound and price paid, then fanboy I am. Regards, Bradley
post #665 of 666 Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How much of a difference would I notice between the Arx A1rx-C vs my Arx A1s? Also I don't think they sound forward whatsoever compared to many speakers I have listened to or owned, anyone who comes over to listen agreed as well.
post #666 of 666 Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2 View Post
How much of a difference would I notice between the Arx A1rx-C vs my Arx A1s? Also I don't think they sound forward whatsoever compared to many speakers I have listened to or owned, anyone who comes over to listen agreed as well.
It depends on what your primary use is. For movies, they will likely sound very similar. For music in 2 channel listening, the A1rx-c will be more spacious, with better midrange presence. Those differences would be noticeable.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page