**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #691 of 712 Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
Good looking receiver. A tad on the weak side, if you don't play overly loud it should be fine. Only drawback I can see is if you value auto room equalization. YPAO is decidedly inferior to Audyssey MultEQ XT or XT32. If that is not important to you then that's a good deal.
Well, I was too late on the CL deal. Any suggestions in the $600 or less price range? I realize that's not a great budget to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 712 Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight427 View Post
Well, I was too late on the CL deal. Any suggestions in the $600 or less price range? I realize that's not a great budget to work with.
At $600 I'm going home with this: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html
knight427 and BufordTJustice like this.
post #693 of 712 Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So relative to this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081N916M/...I3IHQ4UO32WL0V

I get +3.4dB and what? I'm not opposed to refurbished, I just see a lot of great features I don't think I need. Even so, it seems like a tempting deal.
post #694 of 712 Old 12-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight427 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So relative to this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081N916M/...I3IHQ4UO32WL0V

I get +3.4dB and what? I'm not opposed to refurbished, I just see a lot of great features I don't think I need. Even so, it seems like a tempting deal.
The reserve capacity of the amp is pretty major (of course, that will depend on what volume level you intend to listen at) and the superior Audyssey MultEQ XT room equalization is also considerably more powerful.
knight427 and BufordTJustice like this.
post #695 of 712 Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 AM

Liked: 12
Any chance Chane shows at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next year? It's on a 14 hour drive :-)

Yamaha RX-A820 | Panasonic TC-P54S2 | Def Tech BP8B Fronts
Def Tech CLR2002 Center | Def Tech BP2X sides | NHT SuperZero Heights
Streamer: Zotac ZBox ID41 (OpenELEC) | Linux media server (XBMC DB and Plex MS)
Computer area: MartinLogan Motion LX16's | NAD D3020 | DefTech ProSub 60
post #696 of 712 Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Would the A5s and the A center work well for me? The room is 17 L x 13 W x 10 H, acoustically treated so that bass is just right with treble slightly more reverberant than ideal. Current setup is 5.2 with the .2 being a Def Tech Pro 1000 and a Rythmik 12F. The mains must be near the back wall - 1' at most of space. Side walls are not an issue, as the mains are to the sides of the tv, along the 17' wall. Current mains and center are Atlantic Tech 2200s.

Using the port plug to seal the A5s, will the wall proximity be an issue? I have two 4' x 1" acoustical panels behind the mains but they are there for reverb absorbtion, not as bass traps. How will the frequency response be sealed versus open in the mid-range?

The Atlantic center is a D'Appollito MTM - will the ribbon tweeter in the A center be more prone to lobing because it is in the same plane as the woofers? Would prefer a separate mid-range in the main but I suppose it isn't crucial.

My other options would be NHT Absolute Towers (slimmer and very flat response), plus a true 3 way center but c. $1400 or Paradigm Monitor 9s and Center 1 (Center 3 won't fit) IF the rear port on the 9s can be plugged effectively enough to seal it. But the 9s are only 2.5 way, although I can get the whole package for $1100 and in cherry finish.

Whether any of these are worth the upgrade is another question. Use is mostly HT - some music (though I use the 3.1 NHT system in another much larger room mostly for music).

Thanks!

P.s. Power is a 5 channel Acurus 125w with an Emotiva XMC-200 pre-pro.

Go Duke !

Last edited by Trackman; 12-29-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Addition
post #697 of 712 Old 01-05-2015, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was dead set on purchasing the polk rtia1 due to the 99% 4 and 5 stars on amazon and this came along. Does anyone have any comparison between the two? a1rx-c vs polk rtia1?
post #698 of 712 Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardness View Post
I was dead set on purchasing the polk rtia1 due to the 99% 4 and 5 stars on amazon and this came along. Does anyone have any comparison between the two? a1rx-c vs polk rtia1?
If I was to buy Polk Audio speakers again, I would only buy the LSI / LSiM line. I've listened to the Monitor, RTi and RTiA line, and they were too bright for music to my hears. The Arx sound much better for music. Arx are warm and neutral. The LSI / LSiM line are awesome for both music and movies, but they are pretty expensive. The Martin Logan ribbon tweeter line sound very similar to the Arx.
post #699 of 712 Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
If I was to buy Polk Audio speakers again, I would only buy the LSI / LSiM line. I've listened to the Monitor, RTi and RTiA line, and they were too bright for music to my hears. The Arx sound much better for music. Arx are warm and neutral. The LSI / LSiM line are awesome for both music and movies, but they are pretty expensive. The Martin Logan ribbon tweeter line sound very similar to the Arx.
Hey Gus, would you consider these speakers to be better than the RTi line? I have found myself listening more to music lately and I'm finding that my RTi 8's are definitely too bright for music.

Steam ID: J-Rod0125.
PC Specs: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Intel Core i7-4771, Nvidia GTX 970, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black HDD, Corsair 8GB Ram, SeaSonic SSR-650RM.
HT: Samsung 60F5300B, Polk RTi8 Fronts, Polk CSi 5 Center, Power Sound Audio XS15-SE, Pioneer Elite SC-82.
post #700 of 712 Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post
Hey Gus, would you consider these speakers to be better than the RTi line? I have found myself listening more to music lately and I'm finding that my RTi 8's are definitely too bright for music.
In my opinion and personal experience from listening to Arx, Martin Logan, and Polk Audio, I would say Arx and Martin Logan sound better with music. However, the LSi /LSiM Polk Audio line sound good for music as well, but like I've mentioned they are expensive.
post #701 of 712 Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a fairly new member to the "Chane Gang". I can say that these speakers are outstanding for the $$$. I listen primarily to music with mine. NO complaints at all....

Without Music, life would be a mistake... (FN)
There are no facts, only interpretations... (FN)

PS3, Harmon Kardon AVR-254, Harmon Kardon DVD-38, Yamaha YBA-11, Panasonic TC-55LE54, Chane A2rx-c L/C/R, Chane A1rx-c LR/RR, Rythmic Sub on the way.
post #702 of 712 Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about getting a pair of the A1rx-c to use as 2.0/2.1 for my computer. Primary and mainly only use will be music. My concern is the rear port since they need to be close to a wall in my setup. Will using the plug that is provided to fill the rear port alter the sound signature enough that I should think about another set of speakers instead?

I am undecided as to whether or not I will add a sub. It depends on the way they sound.

Thanks!!
post #703 of 712 Old 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How is the vertical dispersion of the tweeter on the A1rx-c? In the below picture, my current tweeter is at ear height. The tape measure represents the Chane A1rx-c speaker height on this stand. You can imagine that the main driver will be at the perfect height, but the tweeter will be a bit high. I sit about 9 feet from them. Will these work for me or will I need to angle them down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150126_123204-1_1422297761636.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	504009  

Last edited by Soulburner; Today at 02:43 AM.
post #704 of 712 Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 AM

I'm actually thinking of just going with the A3 so I don't have to mess with stands.
post #705 of 712 Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm actually thinking of just going with the A3 so I don't have to mess with stands.
That's what I've got. I've got A3's and A2 for center channel. I'm never going back to stands.
post #706 of 712 Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
That's what I've got. I've got A3's and A2 for center channel. I'm never going back to stands.
It seems like the better way to go, and we're not talking about an unreasonable price for them either.

I've heard about peeling veneers on these. Is that a common problem? And if it is, is a new veneer an easy DIY?
post #707 of 712 Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
It seems like the better way to go, and we're not talking about an unreasonable price for them either.

I've heard about peeling veneers on these. Is that a common problem? And if it is, is a new veneer an easy DIY?
As long as you have them in a temperature controlled environment and aren't constantly moving them about I wouldn't worry. I think some guy re-did them and painted them orange, but I don't remember if that was on this site or not. It's definitely DIY-able.
post #708 of 712 Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 AM

I wonder if they'd cut a few $ off and ship a bare pair with no veneer for the DIY crowd

Maybe a check box on the checkout page.

Not that I have anything against them, I think they look fine. But this option would seem right in line with their philosophy of making no-frills great sound available to people on small budgets. If people can do it with subs, why not speakers? Then people could get creative with veneers, paint, whatever. Could be fun to see customer photos of their finished product.

I think they have serious potential to disrupt the speaker market.

Last edited by Soulburner; 01-28-2015 at 01:19 AM.
post #709 of 712 Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by intolerant84 View Post
I am thinking about getting a pair of the A1rx-c to use as 2.0/2.1 for my computer. Primary and mainly only use will be music. My concern is the rear port since they need to be close to a wall in my setup. Will using the plug that is provided to fill the rear port alter the sound signature enough that I should think about another set of speakers instead?
Ports operate at very low frequencies and deal with simple pressures. They do not emit directional energy and they do not need lots of space to operate.

Port plugs are used to intentionally modify this bass reflex action and convert the speaker to a standard sealed box. They do not alter the sound signature except to provide an option for merging the speaker with a subwoofer. Either operation is useful.

Quote:
How is the vertical dispersion of the tweeter on the A1rx-c?
Only slightly more directional than a common dome. If you elevate a set of A2rx-c to get the tweeters at ear level - how the A3rx-c and A5rxc floor speakers are designed - you'll be fine.

Quote:
I've heard about peeling veneers on these. Is that a common problem?
I've seen it once, due to wear. Sometimes rumors get repeated...

Quote:
I wonder if they'd cut a few $ off and ship a bare pair with no veneer for the DIY crowd

Maybe a check box on the checkout page.
I hear you. We'd like to offer options and will in time. Keeping costs low tends to limit how many we can add, however.

DIYers can strip them and refinish the cabinets for paint and veneer, however. All components should be removed and then standard refinishing can commence.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #710 of 712 Old Today, 03:03 AM

I want to thank BufordTJustice and all the other reviewers for sharing their thoughts, and also Jon himself for being out here replying to people who are interested in his products. He must be a very busy guy.

I've decided that a pair of A3rx-c will be my next speakers. Website says March, so that's 4-6 weeks away. Not too bad. I do wish the website would let you order and they would ship when they become available. I'll just have to check back regularly and keep my trigger finger ready I suppose.

I'm going to do an A/B with the EMP E5Ti that I own. Should be interesting.

Samsung, Sony, Denon, Infinity, EMP, Velodyne and SVS
Samsung PN64H5000 Recommended Settings
post #711 of 712 Old Today, 03:19 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by intolerant84 View Post

I am undecided as to whether or not I will add a sub. It depends on the way they sound.

Thanks!!

Rear ported speaker ports should be placed at least 6" from a wall. Plugging the port will only reduce the bass response. The port is a part of the design.

You should employ a subwoofer no matter which speaker system you choose. It doesn't need to play loudly like a sub playing an action movie. It will simply extend the bass to provide a better overall sound reproduction. There are a few speakers that will not benefit from a sub but they are large and expensive - too large for a room that needs speakers up against the wall.
post #712 of 712 Old Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I want to thank BufordTJustice and all the other reviewers for sharing their thoughts, and also Jon himself for being out here replying to people who are interested in his products. He must be a very busy guy.

I've decided that a pair of A3rx-c will be my next speakers. Website says March, so that's 4-6 weeks away. Not too bad. I do wish the website would let you order and they would ship when they become available. I'll just have to check back regularly and keep my trigger finger ready I suppose.
Thanks for the reminder, Soulburner. With the two tower models due to dock March first, it's time to offer pre-orders.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page