**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 192Likes

post #721 of 1153 Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just purchased three a2rx's and two a4rx. I'm going to be putting the centers on shelving in the back and the center on a new tv stand. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using MoPAD, Vibrapod, or DiversiTech antivibration pads. I was going to start with the cheap clear rubber feet that can be purchased at home depot, etc..., but I am interested in hearing opinions on these products with the arx speakers. Attached a picture of the evolving unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150209_145408.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	536081  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1153 Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270 View Post
That's sort of what I was thinking especially since I cross at 80Hz. I'm probably 90% movies. Thanks for the response!
For movies, I wouldn't bother. If you want to listen to more music with high quality files then you will have to start looking at more high end speakers. Probably start looking at $1000K + speakers.
post #723 of 1153 Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvxd View Post
I just purchased three a2rx's and two a4rx. I'm going to be putting the centers on shelving in the back and the center on a new tv stand. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using MoPAD, Vibrapod, or DiversiTech antivibration pads. I was going to start with the cheap clear rubber feet that can be purchased at home depot, etc..., but I am interested in hearing opinions on these products with the arx speakers. Attached a picture of the evolving unit.
I don't remember the company I've got for my center channel, but I use it mainly to raise the center channel and preventing it from sliding from the TV stand. It works well. I think mine is MoPad.
post #724 of 1153 Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
For movies, I wouldn't bother. If you want to listen to more music with high quality files then you will have to start looking at more high end speakers. Probably start looking at $1000K + speakers.
I'd love to invest in some higher end speakers, but I've got a unique setup and to replace my front three essentially means tearing out the front wall of my family room (again) and I'm just not up for it (more so my wife's not up for me doing it). So I'm sort of stuck in this 9"W x 22"H speaker realm. It sounds great but if I could upgrade w/out tearing stuff up, I'd do it.

Thanks for the input guys...most appreciated!
post #725 of 1153 Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to invest in some higher end speakers, but I've got a unique setup and to replace my front three essentially means tearing out the front wall of my family room (again) and I'm just not up for it (more so my wife's not up for me doing it). So I'm sort of stuck in this 9"W x 22"H speaker realm. It sounds great but if I could upgrade w/out tearing stuff up, I'd do it.

I don't think you will be finding that many options for in-wall speakers. I think Polk Audio sells some that are in-wall, but they are rather expensive for what they offer.
post #726 of 1153 Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I'm exploring my options for a center to go with the incoming A3rx-c. I'm thinking of figuring out a way to put an A1rx-c above my TV, oriented vertically and aimed at my seating. I understand it will have a sightly lower volume (1 less driver) but it can be boosted either by myself or by Audyssey. Is there anything else I should know about? And any insight into how to go about mounting this thing would be appreciated, too.
post #727 of 1153 Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm exploring my options for a center to go with the incoming A3rx-c. I'm thinking of figuring out a way to put an A1rx-c above my TV, oriented vertically and aimed at my seating. I understand it will have a sightly lower volume (1 less driver) but it can be boosted either by myself or by Audyssey. Is there anything else I should know about? And any insight into how to go about mounting this thing would be appreciated, too.
Take a pic of where your TV is, we might have some more unique ideas for positioning. Is WAF a factor? Or were you thinking mounting it directly into a wall stud?
post #728 of 1153 Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's my work in progress. There will be a pair of A3rx-c here in about a month. The center location is low but honestly I never noticed anything wrong with the way it sounded. I would like to find the best placement (no WAF). Head level is right in the middle of the screen, as will be the tweeter and mid driver on the towers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_115651-1_1423678861101.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	539641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_121417-1_1423678873777.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	539649  

Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings)
Denon AVR-X4000

And a little R&R:
Reaction Audio CX-10 (2)
Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 02-11-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #729 of 1153 Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I have made my decision to go with the A3RX-C for my LR duties. I have a unique situation with cabinetry and WAF for my center, and the layout of the A1 would work better for me than the A2. Will the A1 match well with the A3's? Can I and/or should I rotate the tweeter if used horizontally?
post #730 of 1153 Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been wondering the same. You'd have to rotate it, otherwise you'd have a real tight sweet spot. But would the proximity to the midwoofer cause less dispersion in that direction? It's like one half of an MTM layout, which is designed to limit tweeter dispersion.
post #731 of 1153 Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I should probably mention my seating position is only around 10 feet from the center channel.
post #732 of 1153 Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I've been wondering the same. You'd have to rotate it, otherwise you'd have a real tight sweet spot. But would the proximity to the midwoofer cause less dispersion in that direction? It's like one half of an MTM layout, which is designed to limit tweeter dispersion.
I think the benefits of a wider dispersion pattern would outweigh the problems caused by the mtm layout.
post #733 of 1153 Old 02-13-2015, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce View Post
I think the benefits of a wider dispersion pattern would outweigh the problems caused by the mtm layout.
TM*

But that's just the thing - flanking a tweeter with a woofer will limit dispersion to the side that the woofer is on. Sure, you could angle it in that direction a few degrees and that would help a bit, but it isn't ideal. If your goal is to have all of your seats hear the same thing, I would avoid horizontal speakers and see if you can get a vertical bookshelf to work.

Of course I'm talking purely from an acoustic theory standpoint, which I am no expert in. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could chime in. The only way to know is to try it. If it works, I'd do it too, because you can get both tweeter and woofer closer to the screen. But I'm skeptical.

I'm curious how much of a db difference there is in output between a single woofer bookshelf and the dual woofer tower? I hope I don't have to ask the AVR to compensate too much to level match a bookshelf as center with the A3 towers.

Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings)
Denon AVR-X4000

And a little R&R:
Reaction Audio CX-10 (2)
Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 02-13-2015 at 11:46 PM.
post #734 of 1153 Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The MTM topic arises from time to time. A brief conversation about MTMs and dispersion starts here, where we find that MTMs are not all equal. In some cases, they're significantly better at filling in the power field than a TM of the same drivers would be.

Naturally, there are also efficiency differences between a given TM and it's dual midwoofer TMM model companions. The second midwoofer is usually made to fill in the TM model's diffraction step - the range below several hundred cycles - and may extend its bass tuning somewhat too. And, because woofers may not be identical between the two models, we don't always see the full theoretical gain from the second midwoofer.

In the case of the relative level differences between the single midwoofer and dual midwoofer Chane models, the latter do have a higher "average dynamic range" - as expected they hit stride at higher average volume. Their initial 1W efficiency is audibly higher at roughly +3dB too, and their power limit is that and more.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #735 of 1153 Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Really? I can tell the difference between bad digital and CD's/Blu-ray on my $99 ea Infinity Primus towers.

Before asking someone to spend more $$$ on speakers you might consider asking them to spend $$$ on room treatments first. That way they can actually notice the improvements from the pricier speakers!
post #736 of 1153 Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Really? I can tell the difference between bad digital and CD's/Blu-ray on my $99 ea Infinity Primus towers.

Before asking someone to spend more $$$ on speakers you might consider asking them to spend $$$ on room treatments first. That way they can actually notice the improvements from the pricier speakers!
I would recommend for you to have your hearing checked 😋.
post #737 of 1153 Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
The MTM topic arises from time to time. A brief conversation about MTMs and dispersion starts here, where we find that MTMs are not all equal. In some cases, they're significantly better at filling in the power field than a TM of the same drivers would be.
Jon, thanks for answering my questions so far. One more:

The general understanding among HT experts is that the horizontal center is a compromise design, and a vertically oriented speaker will perform better. Since turning an MTM center vertical won't work for many home theaters due to space constraints, a lot of us are left deciding between a single bookshelf or the horizontal MTM for our center. Between your two options - the A1 and the A2 - which one performs better as a center, and why?

My thinking is that you get better horizontal tweeter dispersion from the A1 since it's not put between two drivers, but you get better power from the A2 due to the dual drivers and larger cabinet. I want to know how much I should worry about the narrower sweet spot from the horizontal MTM design.
Cobb28 likes this.
post #738 of 1153 Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would avoid horizontal speakers and see if you can get a vertical bookshelf to work.
For me to make a vertical bookshelf to work, I would have to position the center speaker above my TV, as I do not have the TV mounted on the wall - it is still on the factory stand. This would place the speaker a few feet above the listening plane, which I am betting isn't better than laying it on its side, almost at the plane of the listening position.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 02-18-2015 at 06:36 AM.
post #739 of 1153 Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Since turning an MTM center vertical won't work for many home theaters due to space constraints, a lot of us are left deciding between a single bookshelf or the horizontal MTM for our center. Between your two options - the A1 and the A2 - which one performs better as a center, and why?
They're different, and neither is better in all systems. The smaller speaker is recommended for the smaller system and environment, while the larger system with its doubled output across most of the range is wiser for the bigger system and space.

I realize this doesn't address one aim of the question, which probably goes to the differences between the behaviors of the TM and MTM arrays, but those differences are secondary in importance. As for how MTM's aren't all the same, I'd refer readers back to the linked thread, here.

Quote:
My thinking is that you get better horizontal tweeter dispersion from the A1 since it's not put between two drivers, but you get better power from the A2 due to the dual drivers and larger cabinet. I want to know how much I should worry about the narrower sweet spot from the horizontal MTM design.
Your instinct about the larger system is true. Doubling the radiating power in most of the speaker's range simply lowers important distortions proportionately (and in the case of drivers with inherently lower distortion to begin with, added together you really hear the reduction).

Tweeters are not infringed by physically flanking midranges and midwoofers, however, although the drivers' natural bandwidths and patterns, their physical spacings, and their in-system crossovers have very much to do with how MTMs using them behave as a whole.

The physical MTM array tends to get painted with the same broad brush and dismissed, but MTMs are not all alike.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #740 of 1153 Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:

If you are looking to throw some money into your home theater home and aren't ready to take a significant leap in speaker upgrade, might I suggest trying out some room treatments. If you have a lot of empty wall space you'd be surprised at how your sound warms up and envelopes you so much more with a couple of well placed treatments. Again I have no idea what your room looks like and how it is setup, but if you think it could benefit don't hesitate. The hardest part is getting them to look good, choose a warm neutral color, or choose a company that will print images on the fabric. They can look like posters and act as wall treatments at the same time. Lots of great options out there.
allargon likes this.
post #741 of 1153 Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

post #742 of 1153 Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
A LAME encoded MP3 with a setting of 0-2 is indistinguishable from FLAC, and FLAC (or any other lossless format) is indistinguishable from the original.

Or did you mean high quality recordings? Because there is definitely a reason to have good speakers there.
post #743 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A LAME encoded MP3 with a setting of 0-2 is indistinguishable from FLAC, and FLAC (or any other lossless format) is indistinguishable from the original.

Or did you mean high quality recordings? Because there is definitely a reason to have good speakers there.
I guess I should explain myself better. If you want better sound, you will have to use higher quality equipment and recordings.

You can have a decent set up, and most likely anything will sound good. However, once you use high quality files for example FLAC at 192 kHz/24 bit or higher you may or may not notice a difference in sound quality. This will depend on your set up as well.

At first, I thought this was BS. However, after listening to higher quality speakers and equipment with hight quality recording you will noticed a sound difference.

I also agree that sound treating your room will also help with sound.

So, I apologize for just stating to spend more money on better speakers. You will have to also spend more money on better sound equipment.

I went from using a Pioneer SC-1522 with Polk Monitor speakers and 2 Klipsch RW-12D subs to a Denon X4000, Outlaw monoblock amps, Arx 5.0 and PSA-XV15, and I can definitely tell you the sound was much better. It was even better using high quality FLAC music files.

This hobby is expensive. The higher quality sound the higher the price.
post #744 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You are better off having great speakers and crappy electronics than the other way around.

And I disagree, this doesn't have to be expensive, or at least I don't consider 5 Arx speakers and a sub to be expensive. In fact, if anything, prices have been going down over the last 20 years.
post #745 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
You are better off having great speakers and crappy electronics than the other way around.

And I disagree, this doesn't have to be expensive, or at least I don't consider 5 Arx speakers and a sub to be expensive. In fact, if anything, prices have been going down over the last 20 years.
What is inexpensive to you, might be expensive to someone else.
post #746 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's true no matter what you are talking about. A burger at McDonalds is expensive to some people, but then those folks probably don't have an audio system. It was your quote that this was an expensive hobby, I have a feeling that most of us on this forum have the funds to buy equipment, no matter what it may be. A set of Daytons and a BIC sub will suit some, but my point is that for not a whole lot more you can have a very good sounding system. The Arx speakers are a perfect example.

Thing is, we don't need racks of McIntosh amps and Wilson Audio speakers to have great sound anymore, times have changed.
post #747 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, that's true no matter what you are talking about. A burger at McDonalds is expensive to some people, but then those folks probably don't have an audio system. It was your quote that this was an expensive hobby, I have a feeling that most of us on this forum have the funds to buy equipment, no matter what it may be. A set of Daytons and a BIC sub will suit some, but my point is that for not a whole lot more you can have a very good sounding system. The Arx speakers are a perfect example.

Thing is, we don't need racks of McIntosh amps and Wilson Audio speakers to have great sound anymore, times have changed.
I agree that the Arx are an excellent value, and they sound great. However, there are other speakers that sound better, but they cost a lot more than Arx do. It's just like anything else. A Corvette is a fast car, but it is no Porche .
post #748 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

A Bugatti is a quick and fast car, costs a fortune, but does it get you to the store any quicker than a Chevette?
post #749 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
A Bugatti is a quick and fast car, costs a fortune, but does it get you to the store any quicker than a Chevette?
That depends on how many laws you want to break in one day
post #750 of 1153 Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I could afford a Buggatti, I wouldn't be buying Arx speakers lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page