**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #1111 of 1117 Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
You may have heard something change. Every amp designer creates a slightly different product. But, without any sarcasm, I doubt it was a net positive change.

EDIT: And, if it was a positive change, this indicates a flaw in the design of the amplifier.
Agreed. Going from 8 ohm to 6 ohm is only limiting the power the speakers get. I'm sure he heard a difference, but as you said, unlikely a positive difference. Example:

My MartinLogans are 4 ohm. Recently however, the highs just weren't as definitive as they once were and the mids seemed to be muddied. I thought (and was worried/scared to death) that my tinnitus (which happened about the same time frame) was screwing with my audio perception. Thankfully, I didn't just 'let it go' and I dug into my AVR menu and...yup, sho 'nuff, the ohm setting was on 4 ohm instead of 8 ohm. Not sure how that happened, but as soon as it was switched back to 8 ohm, the clarity was back and the power returned, making for a positive experience!

I just am wondering how it got switched, even inadvertently by myself. But I digress.

So yes, by all means, leave your ohm switch on 8 ohms. In fact, Audioholics just put out a video on this very subject:
BufordTJustice likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1117 Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by creimes View Post
Pics...well of course haha

My DIY Flexy Rack is behind the wall that my TV is mounted on, I recently sold the XPA-100's as I really didn't need 7 channels of power and I purchased a second Mach 5 IXL-18 sub that isn't complete yet :P

Also my DIY acoustic panels

Nice set up. I need to build one of those racks, but I barely have time to do anything around the house. It sucks having 3 kids lol. What speakers are you using for surround back? I notice they are in-ceiling. I currently do not have any surround or surround back speakers. I've been looking to which one I will be going with. I was thinking of going with in-ceiling, but I don't know if this would be the best thing due to the attic insulation. So, I've been looking at the Polk Audio TL1's.
post #1113 of 1117 Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Nice set up. I need to build one of those racks, but I barely have time to do anything around the house. It sucks having 3 kids lol. What speakers are you using for surround back? I notice they are in-ceiling. I currently do not have any surround or surround back speakers. I've been looking to which one I will be going with. I was thinking of going with in-ceiling, but I don't know if this would be the best thing due to the attic insulation. So, I've been looking at the Polk Audio TL1's.
I use the Emotiva UAC 8.2 for my rears
post #1114 of 1117 Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I would like to know what in-ceiling speakers would match up with the A3's too. I considered the HSU model, but I'm afraid (probably justified) the horn tweeter is going to sound vastly different than the A3's tweeter.
post #1115 of 1117 Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I would like to know what in-ceiling speakers would match up with the A3's too. I considered the HSU model, but I'm afraid (probably justified) the horn tweeter is going to sound vastly different than the A3's tweeter.
Another question would be, what's your budget? I believe Martin Logan makes in-wall / in-ceiling speakers with planar / ribbon tweeters, but they are expensive.
creimes likes this.
post #1116 of 1117 Old Today, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Well I really don't notice any issues with my Emotiva UAC 8.2 ceilings matching up with the Chane speakers, and to boot they are a fantastic price, I bought the UAC 8.2 when I was still using Monitor Audio speakers up front as I just couldn't pull the trigger on the expensive Monitor Audio ceilings back then and like I said I have no regrets using the Emotiva ones, hope that helps.

Processor - Sherbourn PT-7030, Speakers - Chane A5rx-c, A2rx-c, UAC-8.2 rears, Subs - Mach 5 IXL-18's, Amps - Emotiva XPA-5, Behringer EP4000 Sub amp, Sources - Mac Mini, Oppo 103, Display - Panasonic PCP60UT50

post #1117 of 1117 Old Today, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Another question would be, what's your budget? I believe Martin Logan makes in-wall / in-ceiling speakers with planar / ribbon tweeters, but they are expensive.
I'm OK with the price of the Chane 3's, I don't want to spend thousands on my in-walls for surrounds. I may just go with the 1's and mount them and call it a day. I think it might be the best solution for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page