**The Official Chane M&C 'Arx' owner's thread (A1, A1b, A2, A2b, A3, A5, etc.)** - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #91 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Everybody just take a deep breath and calm down. No reason to turn this helpful thread into a fight feast for pages and pages.

Agreed! For everyone elses sake please take your personal feud off-line. This is getting absurd.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The Arx speakers are not tested and the drivers are install "green" meaning never been powered or played. So when you get the speakers there has never been any content ran through them. So the brand new parts are still stiff. Plus with the excursion of the drivers it takes alittle more effort to "loosen" the suspension and surrounds up. I think theres about a 10-30% change in TS parameters from new to several hours break in and I think the F3 is also lower. I don't think its really about how long you break them in its how you do it. Bass heavy rap cd or action movie would do the job just fine.

ok...makes sense. So right now I'm breaking in my Arx A1b's using a cd with pink/white noise (can't recall which). In any case it has been breaking in for about 24hrs..and yea I do take a listen every now and then. I do hear audible differences from the base 'green' drivers to right now. They now have deeper bass. Still waiting for them to improve with the soundstage. Its ok but not near as good as the soundstage width and depth I heard from the Sierra's and perhaps they will never attain that soundstage effect...only time will tell.

One other thing, they sit about 26 in (measuring from the face of the speaker to back wall). Reading the Arx doc they suggest 36in or more. I may not be able to do that. Hope it doesn't affect the sound too much.
post #93 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
26" IMO is more than enough and would probably see zero benefit in bringing them out and extra 10". Most say just a few inches from the wall for a rear ported bookshelf.
post #94 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Seems like you're here to see how big you can get you E-dick on these forums. Kind of like an "everyone look at me" kinda guy is the vibe I'm getting, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

You can try to appeal to my masculinity all you want. I didn't misunderstand you. I saw through you. Just be warned, every time you try to spin an opinion, I'm gonna be here to challenge you on it. The conjecture started with you.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:

I have already explained why a break in is required.... due to the long travel suspension. I know this through first hand experience.
I don't understand why you would add speculation when you could just ask. Instead, you implied that Lozo's hearing was off and that the changes in what he heard didn't really exist. In what world is this okay?

AHAHAHAHAAHA....my point exactly. You "see through me"?? Lol. Thanks for that. Classic wink.gif

Why the hell would I ask you at that point?? From what I've gathered you test speakers and may have helped John/Jon out or something. If you have the proof then post the graphs, etc. I haven't said you were wrong or that you're an idiot for believe in parameters being changed by "break-in". NEVER. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with just as much or more knowledge about the subject that might disagree about OR have their own opinions. Or tell you their opinions on how you interpreted your information. Have I still stated you are incorrect in thinking the way you do....nope. Still haven't. And I wont, because I don't know the answer. That's the ENTIRE REASON for posting. Instead of creating a ruckus and looking like a jackass, you could have stated what you believe or have found based on your studies. Geez man, if you've helped him create/engineer these speakers...that was a perfect time to post your findings and provide your reasoning behind everything surrounding "speaker break-in" so that the issue can be known (especially in "your" thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Anyone & everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion. That goes without saying, but when you "offer a possible cause for someone else's findings or opinon', it could be viewed more as an excuse and/or a rationalization, especially if fans and even staff of a certain ID speaker brand have a history of displaying such behavior to the extreme whenever the sheer horror of somebody actually liking another speaker better than theirs happens. Kind of like Al Gore after the 2000 election.

Haha exactly. I've never seen a temper thrown over such a stupid issue that could have actually provided some useful insight and knowledge into the subject

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #95 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Knock it off guys.

This will be the only warning...
jbdan likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #96 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozoyad View Post

ok...makes sense. So right now I'm breaking in my Arx A1b's using a cd with pink/white noise (can't recall which). In any case it has been breaking in for about 24hrs..and yea I do take a listen every now and then. I do hear audible differences from the base 'green' drivers to right now. They now have deeper bass

Should be good to go then. 24hrs is more than enough time, just as long as you've played some content through them to get the woofers moving really good. Now just start relistening to your old favorite cds and movies, and make sure you come back later and post some your thoughts on how they sound.
post #97 of 665 Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I won't repeat what others have said. When I got my A1bs I found them a little tight or thin at first. They quickly smoothed out and added bass with a few hours of break-in. The A5s blew me away right out of the box. The bass got a little deeper with some break-in, but they needed less time than the A1b, at least to my ears. I think this is because there are 3 woofers sharing the load so there is little excursion needed to produce the bass at low listening levels. I don't play music loudly.

The distance from the front wall to the baffle on the A5 is less than 2 feet with no problems at all. I got the foam plugs but did not use them because the A5s sound so good without them. Don't worry as long as you can place the A5s at least a few inches from the wall.
post #98 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:

The Arx speakers are not tested and the drivers are install "green" meaning never been powered or played. So when you get the speakers there has never been any content ran through them. So the brand new parts are still stiff. Plus with the excursion of the drivers it takes alittle more effort to "loosen" the suspension and surrounds up. I think theres about a 10-30% change in TS parameters from new to several hours break in and I think the F3 is also lower. I don't think its really about how long you break them in its how you do it. Bass heavy rap cd or action movie would do the job just fine.

Each speaker is indeed green and requires break in to hit stride. We can measure and hear it. They are all, however, 100% tested throughout production. Arx is built to identical standards as a number of better European brands.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #99 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was curious to where are all the arx made.
Just wanted to give a little perspective to other american made speakers as to where the stand.
post #100 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I was curious to where are all the arx made.
Just wanted to give a little perspective to other american made speakers as to where the stand.
Lane, I believe, develops the Arx line of speakers domestically and then has them made in China according to his specifications.

Most US states defer to the Federal Government's FTC guidelines when it comes to being able to say a product is made inn the USA. In California though, every last little whatever has to be made in this country in order for that claim to be made and sold in CA.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #101 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Each speaker is indeed green and requires break in to hit stride. We can measure and hear it. They are all, however, 100% tested throughout production. Arx is built to identical standards as a number of better European brands.

Thanks Jon. So the drivers parameters are tested before assembly or does the speakers as a whole get tested. I assumed when you said the drivers are "green" awhile back on the TAI forum that ment right from assembly line to incabinet and out the door.
post #102 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Should be good to go then. 24hrs is more than enough time, just as long as you've played some content through them to get the woofers moving really good. Now just start relistening to your old favorite cds and movies, and make sure you come back later and post some your thoughts on how they sound.

I'm still breaking them in...its been about 48 hrs now and they are still improving in the bass region. What I'm not hearing though is an improved soundstage. The width is ok (could be better) but the depth that is not deep. Again I'm comparing them to the Sierras-1's that I recently sent back due to being too forward. The Sierra's had a wonderful immense soundstage...the Arx A1bs are not there yet. However, the A1b is nice and neutral...exactly what I desire in a speaker. So 1 out of 2 requirements have been met.

Any suggestion on tweaks to improve soundstage?

Using NAD T748, BJC speaker wire, panasonic dvd (output via digital optical). This is the same setup I used for the Ascend Sierras, nothing has changed except the speakers.
post #103 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have found they sound best slightly toed inward toward you rather than radiating directly ahead.
post #104 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I have found they sound best slightly toed inward toward you rather than radiating directly ahead.

Ok..during my lunch break I did a little experimenting.I think I found a sweet spot. Pulled the speakers further out into the living area about 34in from baffle face of speaker to wall. Doing so created a sense of soundstaging I have not heard before. I'm 9.5 ft from the speakers and they are 7.5ft apart. Like the isosceles triangle Rob Lane describes in his ARX manual (very nice manual BTW!). It is a precise sweet spot however, if you move forward a foot or back a foot, you lose the soundtage depth affect a bit. The Sierra's were not demanding in that regard. But you know for 1/3 the price the Arx A1b is beginning to sound very nice indeed!
post #105 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Ok..during my lunch break I did a little experimenting.I think I found a sweet spot. Pulled the speakers further out into the living area about 34in from baffle face of speaker to wall. Doing so created a sense of soundstaging I have not heard before. I'm 9.5 ft from the speakers and they are 7.5ft apart. Like the isosceles triangle Rob Lane describes in his ARX manual (very nice manual BTW!). It is a precise sweet spot however, if you move forward a foot or back a foot, you lose the soundtage depth affect a bit. The Sierra's were not demanding in that regard. But you know for 1/3 the price the Arx A1b is beginning to sound very nice indeed!

The Sierras image extremely well for speakers of any price bracket. I would not expect the A1b's to quite be able to match them in that regard. But, Jim Wilson had also stated preliminarily that they are more placement sensitive than many other speakers.....requiring more work to get them to really sing.

The A5's aren't nearly as placement sensitive and i think this is owed to the outstanding midrange driver that it uses.

Keep experimenting and thank you for the updates. Keep em coming. smile.gif

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #106 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Chad, i agree. I listen with my A5's using quite a bit of toe in. They are aimed to converge about 2 or 3 feet behind my listening position.

How do you listen with your A5's?

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #107 of 665 Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

In my experience with the sierra, is that they have good imaging but decent soundstage for the size of the speaker. I would consider the sierra to be in a dirctionsl side, where the speaker can be easily located. I personnslly like speaker that are harder to locate, meaning that the dissapear in the room. I guess thats what could be related to your finding about the sierra being forward.
post #108 of 665 Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad, i agree. I listen with my A5's using quite a bit of toe in. They are aimed to converge about 2 or 3 feet behind my listening position.

How do you listen with your A5's?

I have mine about 3ft from the back wall and about 2ft from the side walls, with broadband treatments on each side and behind and their toed in so that if I sit in the sweet spot you can't see the sides of the speaker and they image perfectly.
post #109 of 665 Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

In my experience with the sierra, is that they have good imaging but decent soundstage for the size of the speaker. I would consider the sierra to be in a dirctionsl side, where the speaker can be easily located. I personnslly like speaker that are harder to locate, meaning that the dissapear in the room. I guess thats what could be related to your finding about the sierra being forward.

I agree, I like a speaker that doesn't "show" its self kind of like it projects a "bubble" of sound and it sound what hard to pinpoint exactly where its coming from. But like said early theres probably no right or wrong way just personal preferences.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #110 of 665 Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But, Jim Wilson had also stated preliminarily that they are more placement sensitive than many other speakers.....requiring more work to get them to really sing.

Just to clarify, "placement sensitive" in respect to boundaries. The A1b seems to like space. Unlike many other smaller bookshelf speakers these actually seem to perform better away from boundaries, especially if you don't plug the port. If the port is plugged they can be used closer to boundaries with little to no degradation. The soundstage is quite impressive if you let them "breath", but detail and dynamics is where they seem to shine the most. At the risk of tipping my hand... TAI is nuts for selling a pair of A1b's for only $300.

post #111 of 665 Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to make sure you spend some quality time with the A5s if Ryan brings them to that GTG if you go. Insane value, Zero regrets in purchasing them. If I knew ahead of time how good they were I would have though $1200 plus they would still be a value. But I don't want to give Jon any ideas tongue.gif
post #112 of 665 Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I was just thinking about this. I'm listening to the A5's right now. I just realized that I always listen to Arx speakers with the grilles off....and I prefer them that way.

How do all of you guys and gals listen to your Arx with regard to the grilles?

post #113 of 665 Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just thinking about this. I'm listening to the A5's right now. I just realized that I always listen to Arx speakers with the grilles off....and I prefer them that way.

How do all of you guys and gals listen to your Arx with regard to the grilles?

LOL grills off for sure. The speakers are too nice looking to cover them up.

We've been just sitting back listening to music today and i've never listened to him but Bruno Mars locked out of heaven Flac, sounds pretty nice on the A5s, full range with no subwoofer.
post #114 of 665 Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LOL grills off for sure. The speakers are too nice looking to cover them up.

We've been just sitting back listening to music today and i've never listened to him but Bruno Mars locked out of heaven Flac, sounds pretty nice on the A5s, full range with no subwoofer.

Bruno and Kid Cudi have some really well-produced songs with ethereal effects that really turn the A5's into 3D machines. biggrin.gif

post #115 of 665 Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Quote:

Any suggestion on tweaks to improve soundstage?

Quote:

For image junkies, the design center is with the speakers toed roughly halfway between square to the room and pointed right at you. Toed in more brightens them and toed out more darkens the sound. When they're tonally balanced they're usually spatially most defined too. This assumes not wider than equilateral speaker placement.

As always, experiment.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #116 of 665 Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 AM

Liked: 11
I'm thinking about going with Dana for LCR over Arx LCR, I really like the finish of the Dana. Hoping you guys can help me out with some questions.

Is the Dana line better suited for music over movies? I would say I'm 90% Movie/Games, 10% Music.
Is the Dana line a step above the Arx?

Also, has anybody heard anything about the Arx A4? I haven't seen any updates on the TIA forum, and it seemed like it was close to release.
post #117 of 665 Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoul View Post

Is the Dana line better suited for music over movies? I would say I'm 90% Movie/Games, 10% Music.

Here's a review that might be able to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoul View Post

Is the Dana line a step above the Arx?

Yes. But I wouldn't summarily dismiss the Arx; they have surprisingly good sonic capabilities.

post #118 of 665 Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Output wise the Arx would have an edge on the Dana line. I think for a music system or mostly music system the Dana would be the way to go. Movies I think the Arx would be better, just from the few things i've read about the Dana and experience with the Arx.

The only thing so far about the A4 is that its using a pair of midranges from the A5 tower. Jon had said that he wanted it to be released by end of 1 quarter or begining of the 2nd quarter.
post #119 of 665 Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Here's a review that might be able to answer some of your questions.
Yes. But I wouldn't summarily dismiss the Arx; they have surprisingly good sonic capabilities.

Thanks, the review was a good read.
post #120 of 665 Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Output wise the Arx would have an edge on the Dana line. I think for a music system or mostly music system the Dana would be the way to go. Movies I think the Arx would be better, just from the few things i've read about the Dana and experience with the Arx.

The only thing so far about the A4 is that its using a pair of midranges from the A5 tower. Jon had said that he wanted it to be released by end of 1 quarter or begining of the 2nd quarter.

I'll probably stick with the Arx then. I got excited when I saw the Dana B-Stock prices, and almost made the jump. I'll probably wait for the Arx A2b to be available to make my LCR purchase, and buy the A4 later.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page