Polk vs Kiplisch for movies and gaming..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I'm trying to assemble a home theater system ( for the first time )... I wanted at first just to get HTiB from Onkyo ( 9400 ), then decided to assemble my own.
The main use of the system ( like 90% of the time ) would be for watching high quality movies ( 3D contents ), and gaming,,,
I want to get all speakers from the same vendor, so I can get the same return ( quality ) ( maybe you comment or debate on this )
But my question is which speakers are best for movies and games ( like crisp sound of falling glass, flying bullet, killer bass sound from of a flying helicopter, and so on., .. u know what I'm talking about LOL ) not necessarily the loudest of them all ( i.e efficiency )
By the way my living room ( open style ) is 18ft X 18ft
I'm hesitating between:
Polk RTiA9 vs Kiplisch RF-62 II ( as floor standing )
Polk PSW125 vs Kiplisch SW-450 ( Subwoofers )
Polk CSiA6 vs Kiplisch RC-62 II ( Center Speaker )
Polk F/XiA6 vs Kiplish RS-62 II ( for surrond )

I will to have later on the front highs right and left .......

So what you guys think, and any any setup suggestions ( I wanna start with a 7 channel setup and my aim is 9 ).

Looking forward for your input...cool.gif

Thanx,smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I personally think that Klipsch pounces Polk in every aspect, especially for home theater. What is you budget? I would look into buying used as you get much more for your money that way. I think that you should try and step up to the RF-82ii if you can find a pair used. Also some of the older Klipsch speakers are very good, such as the KLF-20 & KLF-30. I would highly recommend that you purchase an internet direct sub, such as one from HSU or SVS as they are much better for the money. Also, you don't necessarily have to get the matching surrounds that are the same line as your ,mains and center. I would look for some cheaper surrounds such as the RB series or used RS series then use the money you save to up your budget for your mains.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm gonna buy them one by one ....so I can almost say my budget is open, or just to give you an idea; the max I would spend on floor standing speaker is 1K.
So Marty, why do u think Klipsch are better than Polk , as far as crispness and clearness ( like in my case a gamer and vivid movie watcher. ) .....
I know it's all about preference, but from your own experience,: would Klipsch or Polk give you a closer sound an IMAX theater would, LOL you c what I'm sayin smile.gif
post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think, I'll go with Kiplisch, with this setup:
( 2 ) RF 82 II ( mains )
(1 ) RC-62 II Center Channel Speaker
(2) RS-52 II Surround Speakers
(1) SW-115

For the surround speaker, I don't know if I should I go with bookshelf speakers ( like RS + RB, and LS+ LB ) or 2 surround speaker at each sides ... !!!!
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I personally think that Klipsch pounces Polk in every aspect, especially for home theater. What is you budget? I would look into buying used as you get much more for your money that way. I think that you should try and step up to the RF-82ii if you can find a pair used. Also some of the older Klipsch speakers are very good, such as the KLF-20 & KLF-30. I would highly recommend that you purchase an internet direct sub, such as one from HSU or SVS as they are much better for the money. Also, you don't necessarily have to get the matching surrounds that are the same line as your ,mains and center. I would look for some cheaper surrounds such as the RB series or used RS series then use the money you save to up your budget for your mains.

Marty, do you have any idea about the fair price for a KLF 30?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

I did this and chose HSU. If that is too much for your budget the klipsch RW-12d might fit the bill. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

October HorrorFest Participant
post #7 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Does anybody know why Kiplisch has discontinued the Sub RW-12d ..... it had a very good popularity unlike the new ( for example ) Kiplisch RS-115 !!? ?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Klipsch have a good bit more clarity, bass, detail, and openness than the Polks. Especially for home theater, it really isn't even a contest, the Klipsch are much better. I think the RF-82ii setup would be terrific, but, you could probably find a pair of RF-63's or KLF-30's for well under your budget, and both of which would sound better than the RF-82ii's.

Oh and btw- to the guy that asked about a fair price for a pair of KLF-30's, I have seen them go for between $400 and $600 dollars, depending on condition.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Read the reviews for each speaker on different sites like Amazon, Crutchfield and Newegg. Then form an opinion for yourself. Even better if you can find a way to listen to each speaker.

I don't know about the Polk RTiA 9, but I have the Polk RTiA 7 and it is an amazing speaker.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I agree 100%. Klipsch speakers are WAY better for HT. They are far far more detailed.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 123

I'm a Klipsch-head too so discount my comments appropriately...

I'd say to look for some used LaScalas.  You asked above what makes them different?  In my view, the primary difference is the horn loaded woofers (I'm restricting my answer to the LaScala)

With that you will get more dynamics, less depth but, you will have a sub for that right?

In my opinion there is nothing out there that's going to give you the experience of a fully horn loaded system.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page