High End Pro Audio for an Art Car/Mutant Vehicle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello there folks. Long time no post.

Anyway, after returning from a fantastic Burning Man 2012, I've decided to build an art car/mutant vehicle based on a Ford F600 scissor lift dump truck. The general idea is to encircle the truck with a ring of 6 ft tall fabric flames, and then create a phoenix out of the scissor lift that rises out of the circle of flames. The truck bed will be both part of the phoenix and a raised dance platform. The truck has a 16'x8' bed on an 18' tall scissor lift.

Naturally, the audio system is just as important as the art on the truck. I'm still in the planning stages. The audio will NOT be a typical 12v car audio system, but rather an AC-based system running on a generator. The audience will be located on top of the scissor lift and on the ground surrounding the vehicle, so I'm thinking of this like an outdoor audio project.

Music played will mostly be bass-heavy, and clean powerful bass is definitely a priority.

My budget for the speakers alone is somewhere in the neighborhood of $5k, although I almost always exceed my budget in the end, unfortunately eek.gif . In this case, used gear is definitely preferable.

I know for a fact that I want to use powered "PA" style speakers and some nice powered subs.

I have a friend who has 4 Funktion One Dance Stacks, and they sound fantastic. I've been trying to locate Funktion One gear in the US but unfortunately they are extremely rare and difficult to locate.

The best system by far at BM was at Camp Questionmark. They had... get this... 18 PK Sound CX800 subs. 18. They push 4k watts each and they are CLEAN as a whistle. Of course, when I inquired with PK Sound, their minimum speaker package right now costs $130k, and nobody is selling PK Sound speakers used as far as I can tell.

So, that said, I'm looking to get into something similar to Funktion One or PK Sound, used, on a budget. Right now I'm thinking 4 powered mid/high speakers placed at the 4 corners of the truck. If I limit my budget to $500/speaker for the mids/highs, then that leaves me with $3k for the subs. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 10
Dual TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" + lg fp14k clone for subs, should put you around $3000 with enclosure. Will dominate any retail subs anywhere near its price range.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iccy View Post

Dual TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" + lg fp14k clone for subs, should put you around $3000 with enclosure. Will dominate any retail subs anywhere near its price range.

TC Sounds subs look pretty nice, never heard of them before.

A quick google search does not reveal any fp14k clone amps for sale... I see some forum threads about them, but no actual store/retail/etc? any ideas?

I'd rather avoid building my own if possible. Looks like TC Sounds will be coming out with complete solutions starting next year... which means I will not be able to save money buying used, and might not be able to get them in time for next year's event...

Great ideas there Iccy! I will continue to look...
post #4 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Following up... it appears that Sanway in China makes some seriously high end gear, including a fp14k clone, with possibly iffy reliability and no warranty. If the price is right, I may still pull the trigger on something like this. I mean, the power and specs all seem to be up there in terms of what I'm looking for.

If I do build my own, what box would you recommend for the TC Sounds Ultra 5400?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adminroot View Post

Following up... it appears that Sanway in China makes some seriously high end gear, including a fp14k clone, with possibly iffy reliability and no warranty. If the price is right, I may still pull the trigger on something like this. I mean, the power and specs all seem to be up there in terms of what I'm looking for.
If I do build my own, what box would you recommend for the TC Sounds Ultra 5400?

Well if you really want to, you can buy prefab enclosures from various places online specifically for the ultra, but a basic 22 or 24 inch cube would suffice. For ideas, check the diy sub/speaker subforum, there are plenty of options there.

You are correct on the clone. It is a sanway chinese copy of a lab gruupen Series pro amps which retail for 6k ish on the high end. The clone doesnt support 2ohm load and doesnt have much for a warranty. However the people that have them swear by them.

If you wanted an amp with a warranty you could get anything between a behringer ep4k per sub to a marathon 5050. Theres plenty of choices if you read the diy stuff. Subs are great diy projects, excellent value and so easy compared to speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 AM

or you could do an art vehicle and exterminate all the sparkleponies. More art, less techbro.....
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iccy View Post

Well if you really want to, you can buy prefab enclosures from various places online specifically for the ultra, but a basic 22 or 24 inch cube would suffice. For ideas, check the diy sub/speaker subforum, there are plenty of options there.
You are correct on the clone. It is a sanway chinese copy of a lab gruupen Series pro amps which retail for 6k ish on the high end. The clone doesnt support 2ohm load and doesnt have much for a warranty. However the people that have them swear by them.
If you wanted an amp with a warranty you could get anything between a behringer ep4k per sub to a marathon 5050. Theres plenty of choices if you read the diy stuff. Subs are great diy projects, excellent value and so easy compared to speakers.

Awesome, great ideas. I emailed with Sanway this weekend and the FP14k is $871 all-in with shipping and everything. Seems like a great deal. I also got a lot of info on their other products via email if anyone's interested. Thinking about pairing one of the FP14k with 2 subs, one sub per channel.

The TC LMS Ultra 5400 is certainly awesome, but after much research I'm now leaning towards the JBL W15GTi-Mkii 15" "car" drivers. On paper they aren't as strong as the 5400 but they cost a third as much. Do you think 2 of those would be better or worse than a single 5400?

Any recommendations for the full range speakers? Thinking of going with some basic 3 way JBL powered speakers, like the PRX series, whatever specific model I can find for relatively inexpensive used. There are tons around.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaB View Post

or you could do an art vehicle and exterminate all the sparkleponies. More art, less techbro.....

Thank you for the helpful response...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page