Help - Have 4 year old old Polk R50's sides, now building 5.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finishing my basement, and building a multi-functional theater in the basement family room. I have two floor-standing Polk R-50's that have barely seen any use since I bought them 4 years ago, but now that I'm building the theater in the basement, I'm trying to figure out what items to match with these (or if I just need to replace the floor-standing R-50's for the new system).

I'm very budget conscious as the basement cost is going to be about double what we originally expected. I'm doing a front projector with a 92" screen and the R-50's on either side of the screen. I already have wiring run too all the appropriate locations for a 7.1 system with 4 ceiling speakers, but think I may start with 5.1 due to budget unless it really makes sense to add the sides in the ceiling as well.

I would greatly appreciate some help in figuring out what to match with the existing Polk R-50's these days:
- Center Channel - this will sit below the projection screen, and I'll try to get it as high up as possible while staying below the screen, but will surely need to point it up a bit towards the viewers
- Rear ceiling speakers - these are behind the couch and in the ceiling, so I'll need to point the tweeters at the couch
- Sub (I'm considering the Dayton Sub-1200 HERE

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You need to specify your budget; there are a lot of possibilities.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

You need to specify your budget; there are a lot of possibilities.

Budget is somewhat relative. I'll have about $20k into the basement once complete, which is double our original budget...so, I'd like to cut any corners I can. That being said, I really don't know what the options are for this system and whether I need to keep the R-50s and put a bit more money into the other speakers, or scrap the R-50s and start from scratch with a whole new system.

I think overall value is the most important thing to me. Is $500 a reasonable number for the remaining 3 speakers and sub? $300? $700? And, should I get the additional two in-ceiling side speakers to make it a 7.1 system? There are so many factors and I have zero experience to know where to start here.

Thanks for the help!
post #4 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrcarl View Post

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

I would seriously consider letting the R50 go, and start over - the R50 is a poor performer.
If possible, see if there is a way to increase your budget - there are better options.

The Infinity Primus 363 is a big step up - and $200 a pair, at Fry's
http://www.frys.com/ads/audio-video-television-cameras-portable-car-electronics

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 40
If you want to match what you already have, pick up 3 of these M50s for $70 each on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290205 and this Energy 10.3 subwoofer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026 ...total of $410.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help Jim and Audiophile. Are there any in-ceiling speakers to look at? I would only be using the floorstanding speakers in the front of the room, under and around the projector screen.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help Jim and Audiophile. Are there any in-ceiling speakers to look at? I would only be using the floorstanding speakers in the front of the room, under and around the projector screen.

The Snell is on close-out pricing > and will save you some money
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SNELLOHT7/SNELL-OH-T7-Full-range-6.5-inch-coax-Direct-Power-waveguide-Each/1.html

post #9 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Jim,

Those deals you found seem too good to be true! How can they knock 80% off the price for the Snell in-ceiling speakers? At that price, I might as well get 4 of them and make a 7.1 system, no?

So, if I sell my r-50's and go with 4 of the Snell in-ceiling speakers ... will the Infinity floor speakers from Fry's be a good match? By the way, the link on their ad doesn't work, and those towers can't be found through a search of their site.

Assuming the Infinity towers will work well, what center channel do I go with?

And, what about the sub?
post #10 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jim,
Those deals you found seem too good to be true! How can they knock 80% off the price for the Snell in-ceiling speakers? At that price, I might as well get 4 of them and make a 7.1 system, no?
So, if I sell my r-50's and go with 4 of the Snell in-ceiling speakers ... will the Infinity floor speakers from Fry's be a good match? By the way, the link on their ad doesn't work, and those towers can't be found through a search of their site.
Assuming the Infinity towers will work well, what center channel do I go with?
And, what about the sub?

The link still works for me.

D&M shut down Snell due to the economy, and that makes it a good deal for someone like you.
I would think about buying them, while they are still available.

The main thing is for the front channels to blend together >> For home theater, due to budget and
restrictions, you can use different surrounds. The main thing is for the surrounds to blend together.
Use the receiver set-up to level match the speakers.

This center channel will work with the Infinity fronts.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-PC350-Center-Individually/dp/B000M687JI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1347941460&sr=8-10&keywords=infinity+primus

And this one
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-PC351-Three-way-Center-Channel/dp/B0044D1788/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347942414&sr=1-1&keywords=infinity+primus+pc351

Need to know the room size, for a sub reccomendation (maybe 13x25). However for a tight budget,
the PA150 subwoofer can work.
http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Acoustic-PA-150/dp/B004436EEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347942694&sr=8-1&keywords=pa+150+sub

post #11 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Jim - thanks so much for the help and quick responses.

The room is about 22' wide and 13' deep (narrow) with the HT in the middle of the 22' width. The 92" projection screen is about 12' from the viewer on the couch in the center of the wide room. Of course, the towers are on either side of the screen, with the center channel below the screen. The rears are behind the couch about 18" and in the ceiling. The wides are about 10-12' apart, and in the ceiling.

Questions:
1) The Fry's Infinities - do you know which ones those are? Their link doesn't work and I'd like to do some more research on those.
2) With two kids under the age of two who will grow up fast, the best place for the sub will be under the coffee table next to the couch. Is this location OK and will that have any barring on the decision for what sub to get?
3) The center channel - I've read that this shouldn't go on the floor. Sounds like the best thing will be to build or get a stand for it and get it as high off the ground as I can while staying just below the screen. Am I on the right track there?

One more thing to think about - I do have the wiring for the LCR's already in the wall around the screen. So, if I'm going to scrap the Polk R-50's that I have, then I might just put those LCRs in the wall as well...the basement is framed with drywall, but the mudding isn't totally done yet, so this would be the best time to make this move if I'm going to. That being said, any thoughts on in-wall LCR's?
post #12 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1) The Fry's Infinities - do you know which ones those are? Their link doesn't work and I'd like to do some more research on those.
2) With two kids under the age of two who will grow up fast, the best place for the sub will be under the coffee table next to the couch. Is this location OK and will that have any barring on the decision for what sub to get?
3) The center channel - I've read that this shouldn't go on the floor. Sounds like the best thing will be to build or get a stand for it and get it as high off the ground as I can while staying just below the screen. Am I on the right track there?
One more thing to think about - I do have the wiring for the LCR's already in the wall around the screen. So, if I'm going to scrap the Polk R-50's that I have, then I might just put those LCRs in the wall as well...the basement is framed with drywall, but the mudding isn't totally done yet, so this would be the best time to make this move if I'm going to. That being said, any thoughts on in-wall LCR's?

This is the Infinity Primus 363
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/primus-p363/primus-p363-introduction

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P363BK/Infinity-Primus-P363.html

With a subwoofer, it would be better to get a down-firing one, where the woofer would be on the bottom
It would be hard to find a decent sub to put under a coffee table.

Do not put the center channel on the floor - it will sound weak and un-balanced.

I will get back to you later, about in-wall L/C/R speakers > however, other members may chime in
with some reccomendations.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome - thanks again Jim. Look forward to hearing more from you or anyone else about in-wall L/C/R speakers for around the projector screen!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Look forward to hearing more from you or anyone else about in-wall L/C/R speakers for around the projector screen!

While speakers with back-boxes tend to be more expensive - there are still some nice
sounding ones with-out the back-boxes, for a tight budget.

Atlantic Technology - on special
http://store.audioholics.com/clearance/hot-deals/atlantic-technology-iwts-7lcr-s.html

AV Science sales, also sells the Atlantic line.

Boston Acoustics, also makes nice speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSHSI485/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-HSi-485-2-Way-8-in.-LCR-In-Wall-Speaker-Each/1.html

post #15 of 17 Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

The walls that the LCRs would go in will be well-insulated, and behind that is 20 inches of brick since this is in the basement. Would back-boxes really make much of a difference? If so, what would they do here for me?

Also, would love to hear more suggestions on in-wall L/C/R speakers, as well as a sub and its placement in the room.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The walls that the LCRs would go in will be well-insulated, and behind that is 20 inches of brick since this is in the basement. Would back-boxes really make much of a difference?
Also, would love to hear more suggestions on in-wall L/C/R speakers, as well as a sub and its placement in the room.

For your budget and the area construction with the set-up, it can still sound nice. One of the main advantages
of closed back boxes, is to prevent sound leakage. Atlantic and Boston make some nice stuff.

More sub reccomendations will depend on your max budget for the sub.

post #17 of 17 Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

So I ordered 4 of the Snell in-ceiling speakers. After substantial research, Snell is (or was) a top-knotch company with top-knotch products. I can't wait to receive them tomorrow.

A couple of questions:
1) do I need to get in-ceiling enclosures for these? The ceilings already have r-30 insulation packed in there to prevent sound leakages.
2) Any other suggestions for great deals on L-C-R's?
3) Any other suggestions on subs? Perhaps someone can suggest a few different subs at various price levels?

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page