Need help deciding on speaker situation for Basement HT! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've searched and while I can only find pieces of info here and there, there really hasn't been a definitive thread that can really help me out. Here's the situation....I currently have a Paradigm 5.1 setup that I've had for 12 years, consisting of 4 Titans v2, a CC-170 and a PDR-10. I'm planning for the home theater I'm building and I'm really stuck as to which direction to go with the setup. I want to move to 7.1 (maybe 7.2) when I finish the HT. The problem is that I've got so many choices that it's a bit overwhelming, so I thought I would throw out a line to see what input the group has. It's gotten me some really good luck in the past!!!

Originally, I had considered going in-wall because of all the glowing reviews I've read of the Monoprice speakers, but I just don't think they'd hold a candle to "good" speakers. I'm sure they're great for the price, but you get what you pay for, right?

Here are a couple of things I've been considering:
1. Move the Titans to side and back surrounds, sell the center channel and buy new front and center speakers (keeping the sub).
2. Move one pair of Titans to the front, one to the back, and buy a set of dipole speakers for side surrounds.
3. Keep current setup and move all speakers to the front, creating a wider soundstage and just buy new surround speakers.
4. Scrap everything and start over so everything is timbre matched (least desirable from a $$$ standpoint)

The budget really varies, depending on which direction I go in, but since I have to take into account the cost of finishing the rest of the basement, I need to try to get the best bang for the buck.

I've been leaning towards bookshelf speakers, since the room will be about 13x16x8, and I don't think I'd really give floorstanding speakers enough room to stretch their legs. That said, because of the size, the speakers will be in close proximity to walls, so from what I've been researching, I really should stick to the ones that are either sealed or have front ports. Sound about right? Keep in mind that these will almost exclusively be used for movies, and occasionally some Xbox. If you think that a rear port being close to a corner won't impact the sound too much for movies/games, then that opens more possibilities.

So here are my choices that I've come up with. I'm definitely open to suggestions that I have overlooked!

Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (I see the glowing reviews of the 10.1, but it's a rear port)
Focal Chorus 706v (the only thing that is shocking is how expensive the matching center channel is, comparatively speaking)
B&W 685
Paradigm Titan Monitor v6 (If I can find it since they discontinued it)
Monitor Audio BX2 (The RX look great, but again, rear port)
Axiom Audio M22 (The on-wall version)

Then I would just grab the matching center. Eventually I'll probably pick up another sub, but do you think it would be worth it in the smaller space? The PDR-10 has proven itself to be pretty capable over time!

I really appreciate any feedback!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Bump.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Timber matching is the best way to go. Take the time, spend your money wisely and just do it the right way.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #4 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can say what you want about the Monoprice speakers, but they were OUTSTANDING in my old house. I loved them, and I would install them in my house again but cant due to bookcases and such. You do get what you pay for, and with those speakers you are paying a little for A LOT of speaker.

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Border, I won't lie. I have considered moving all the Titans to the front (using the extra two as either occasional heights or wides) and buying new surrounds of some sort (Monoprice is a candidate). I think I'm overwhelming myself with choices! At least that way, though, everything up front would be timbre-matched. The only problem I would see is that everything is currently rear-ported and they would be positioned close to the wall. The other surrounds would probably be bipole or in-wall. I really do wish I was able to demo Monoprice speakers. I've loved their service having used them for cables and wires in the past. The speakers look to be of good build quality and I've read through the Monoprice speaker thread, but there's still that voice in the back of my mind saying that it must be too good to be true. I would love someone to tell me I'm wrong (from firsthand experience).

Regarding bipole speakers for surrounds, I've tried researching HTD Level 3s, but can't really find any reviews or anything too current. Does anyone have any experience with HTD?

-Viper
post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First hand experience---your WRONG!!!!!

Believe the hype!

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
post #7 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04468 View Post

Then I would just grab the matching center. Eventually I'll probably pick up another sub, but do you think it would be worth it in the smaller space? The PDR-10 has proven itself to be pretty capable over time!

Research 12" subs by Internet direct manufacturers HSU, SVS, and Outlaw Audio. Their larger 12" subs will definitely outperform the PDR-10 and improve the HT experience.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I was actually considering keeping the PDR-10 and simply adding an additional sub to the mix. Probably a 12". Good idea? Bad? I figured I could have one in each corner of the home theater.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

I've searched and while I can only find pieces of info here and there, there really hasn't been a definitive thread that can really help me out. Here's the situation....I currently have a Paradigm 5.1 setup that I've had for 12 years, consisting of 4 Titans v2, a CC-170 and a PDR-10. I'm planning for the home theater I'm building and I'm really stuck as to which direction to go with the setup. I want to move to 7.1 (maybe 7.2) when I finish the HT. Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 (I see the glowing reviews of the 10.1, but it's a rear port)
Focal Chorus 706v (the only thing that is shocking is how expensive the matching center channel is, comparatively speaking)
B&W 685
Paradigm Titan Monitor v6 (If I can find it since they discontinued it)
Monitor Audio BX2 (The RX look great, but again, rear port)
Axiom Audio M22 (The on-wall version)

The Monitor BX2 speakers are front ported
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRBBX2%20%20%20%20PWAL

I wouild think about moving the Titan speakers to surround duty. The older version
Titans are somewhat lacking in dynamics for H.T. > and need some room away from
the walls for better bass control.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:

I was actually considering keeping the PDR-10 and simply adding an additional sub to the mix. Probably a 12". Good idea? Bad? I figured I could have one in each corner of the home theater.

If you go with one of the 12" subs from the manufacturers I mentioned, it will far out perform the PDR-10. You might be able to use the PDR-10 nearfield, and then it might keep up.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The Monitor BX2 speakers are front ported
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRBBX2%20%20%20%20PWAL
I wouild think about moving the Titan speakers to surround duty. The older version
Titans are somewhat lacking in dynamics for H.T. > and need some room away from
the walls for better bass control.

This just gives me a little food for thought. I have a feeling that upgrade-itis will kick in and I may end up replacing everything (except for the sub, to keep the cost down for now) and starting from scratch. Decisions, decisions. If I do that though, it may alter the original list, since I'll have to buy more speakers and won't be able to throw $3k on a new setup. Anyone have any experience here with HTD at all? I realize that they probably aren't exactly in the same field as say, B&W, Focal, etc....Other good bang for your buck options are welcome. I just can't wait to get out and actually test some of these!

-Viper
post #12 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

This just gives me a little food for thought. I have a feeling that upgrade-itis will kick in and I may end up replacing everything (except for the sub, to keep the cost down for now) and starting from scratch. Decisions, decisions. If I do that though, it may alter the original list, since I'll have to buy more speakers and won't be able to throw $3k on a new setup. Anyone have any experience here with HTD at all? I realize that they probably aren't exactly in the same field as say, B&W, Focal, etc....Other good bang for your buck options are welcome. I just can't wait to get out and actually test some of these!

Yes, I have owned them - they are not in the same class as Focal and B&W > However, I
like them more than the older Paradigm Titan, Atom and the Monitor series.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

It's early in the day and my mind isn't functioning properly. It dawned on me after posting that, that I could just concentrate on spending a little extra for the front LCR and then cutting back a little for the surrounds, since they aren't used nearly as much, and the system won't really be used for music. That would allow me to get quality speakers up front, then possibly use, say HTD for surrounds or maybe even monoprice. Then I could probably use some of the savings for that 12" sub!

Viper
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page