New speakers arrived damaged - AVS Forum
Speakers > New speakers arrived damaged
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 03:20 PM 09-17-2012
New speakers arrived damaged. Still unboxing, have yet to wire them up.
Assume drivers are fine and it's just the dent ontop of 1 speaker *more like a ripple-wave~ of dents, how much discount should I ask for...
Exchange is not really a option as these were shipped....To do a whole pallet back and forth is alot.
BUT at that same token, there are supposed to be brand new pristine speakers..
What would you say. Would 20-30% off be fair ?
I'd consider it 20%+ loss IMO for the damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Audiophile2k's Avatar Audiophile2k 03:34 PM 09-17-2012
What speakers? You need to keep all the packaging in case the seller wants to file a claim against the shipper. Depending on the exact damage and the speakers (profit margin for the company you purchased from), you probably won't get 20%...if it is just on the top and doesn't affect the performance, you are probably looking at a 10% offer, unless they want to file the claim against the shipper.
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 03:39 PM 09-17-2012
It was on a pallet.
No damage I can see from shipping - all the strapping was good as well as the exterior wrap

If I buy NEW speakers, I expect brand new mint equipment.
Any damage or blemish IMO just takes the *value* of it down considerably.
Audiophile2k's Avatar Audiophile2k 04:13 PM 09-17-2012
Trust me, as someone who has to ship stuff all over the country, just because it arrives damaged doesn't mean it was that way before it was shipped. Stuff can happen that isn't immediately obvious. I'm just saying don't jump to the conclusion that they shipped you damaged goods. You'll get a lot farther by cooperating and working with them than by demanding a huge discount right out of the gate. Give them a chance to make a proposal, if you don't like it, then counter with what you would want. If you come off as too angry they might think of you as a lost cause which won't work in your favor.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 04:19 PM 09-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

Trust me, as someone who has to ship stuff all over the country, just because it arrives damaged doesn't mean it was that way before it was shipped. Stuff can happen that isn't immediately obvious. I'm just saying don't jump to the conclusion that they shipped you damaged goods. You'll get a lot farther by cooperating and working with them than by demanding a huge discount right out of the gate. Give them a chance to make a proposal, if you don't like it, then counter with what you would want. If you come off as too angry they might think of you as a lost cause which won't work in your favor.

Exactly .. I wish I had a dollar for every customer over the last 35 years that has acted like damage was my fault .. and most are willing to work out a slight adjustment .. be prepared to email them some good pictures ..
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 04:40 PM 09-17-2012
All fair comments. But 10% ain't nothing IMO in the long term of things. If I decide to sell it, I would disclose this and that would at least bring the cost down.
Hence, the OP question. What's a fair starting rate.......from fellow veterans who may have more insight.
MrEastSide's Avatar MrEastSide 11:58 PM 09-17-2012
Personally, I wouldn't expect any type of discount. I'm willing to bet they'll want the damaged one back, then send you a new one, then they'll take it up with the shipper. That's what most companies do. Technically speaking, how do they know you didn't purposely damage it, expecting a discount? It seems silly, but people are crazy. They'd probably rather get all their money back from the shipper, via an insurance claim, versus knocking 10%-20% off every person who claims a damaged item.

I ordered some speakers in April and one arrived with a huge dent in the box. Speaker cabinet also had a gigantic ding in it. I e-mailed the company, they shipped out a new one, had me print out a return label for the damaged one and they took it up with Fed EX, and probably got all their money back.
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 05:41 AM 09-18-2012
Floorstander.....I'm not sure how many of ya'll receive it shipped, but mine arrived via freight.
I would not even imagine in what condition the box would be if something like this was shipped via UPS/FedEx and went through the mechanical sorting.

Then again, my 200lb sub arrived just fine via UPS
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 09:21 AM 09-18-2012
As others have pointed out, you really only have the "right" to ask them to send you a undamaged speaker and you return the one that was damaged. If they want to discount you something and not have you return the speaker, that is THEIR choice...
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:54 AM 09-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

All fair comments. But 10% ain't nothing IMO in the long term of things. If I decide to sell it, I would disclose this and that would at least bring the cost down.
Hence, the OP question. What's a fair starting rate.......from fellow veterans who may have more insight.

Discounting the entire order based on one damaged speaker would be asking way too much .. it's just one speaker ..
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 10:14 AM 09-18-2012
Your pretty level headed. I would be on the phone and I would be awaiting for my new speakers (Speaker) to arrive with a return slip for the damaged. If your looking for a discount, that is a different story, but I would except nothing less. That is why I will only deal with a couple of stores online for my electronics.
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 10:48 AM 09-18-2012
I was referring to the one speaker.

If the seller wants to ship it back and send me one, fine. But I would think that cost alone in quite exorbitant. Granted it came shipped on a pallet - and if he wan't to risk a 5'+ box in the size and shape it is to go through the mechanical wringers at FedEx or UPS, so be it. It he want's to take it back via freight and send it back via freight...I could only imagine what that cost would be.

If I sell this 2-3 years from now, it it obviously a defect I would point out. So instead of let's say a new- used rating of which I may give it a 8.5-9 scale, it would be rated as a 7.5-8 accordingly, HENCE the decrease of my resale value...
chefwong's Avatar chefwong 11:00 AM 09-18-2012
BTW, claims is not as easy peasy payout as you may think. I don't know what the firm rule is but let's day for example the area of the cabinet that got the ding. It it did not have 3-5" insulation ALL AROUND that area that got dinged, it would have easily not met UPS guidelines on packaging and that would have nulled the case . If you read either FedEx or UPS requirements, you need to do some pretty thorough packing in order to be even have a chance at a claim.
Nick_si's Avatar Nick_si 11:02 AM 09-18-2012
I believe from what others are saying is that the seller will file an insurance claim against the shipping company. Hence not cost them anything. Unless if this is some sort of personal deal ala craigslist or audiogon etc...
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 11:07 AM 09-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

I was referring to the one speaker.
If the seller wants to ship it back and send me one, fine. But I would think that cost alone in quite exorbitant. Granted it came shipped on a pallet - and if he wan't to risk a 5'+ box in the size and shape it is to go through the mechanical wringers at FedEx or UPS, so be it. It he want's to take it back via freight and send it back via freight...I could only imagine what that cost would be.
If I sell this 2-3 years from now, it it obviously a defect I would point out. So instead of let's say a new- used rating of which I may give it a 8.5-9 scale, it would be rated as a 7.5-8 accordingly, HENCE the decrease of my resale value...
Have you called the seller?
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 11:13 AM 09-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Have you called the seller?

I was wondering the same thing. This seems all wild speculation at the moment. For all anyone knows, the seller may make things right.

Furthermore, I always think it important to notify a seller right away if there is a problem with something I've received. If nothing else, I think it can express a little more concern than if one waits several days.
lodit's Avatar lodit 02:57 PM 09-18-2012
Sorry to hear your delivery wasn't perfect. Happens to everyone once in a while.

Considering your apparent concerns with resale value, it would probably be best to request a replacement first, and allow the seller to offer you a discount to keep the damaged item should you so decide.

You paid for a new speaker, and should therefore receive a new speaker.

If the seller gives you an option, then at that point, it's up to you.

Jumping to an automatic discount is a little premature, imo.

And perhaps don't approach the seller with guns blazing, it may not endear you to them in a way that would be beneficial to resolving the issue.

Good luck.
Up
Mobile  Desktop