post #61 of 62 Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

RMAF impressions from a 1st time attendee:
I did not, obviously, hit nearly all the rooms. It is crazy how many great sounding setups there are.
First, lets get the high end stuff out of the way. 2 speakers that really sounded great were the Von Schweikert VR-44
http://vonschweikertaudio.com/vr-44/#
and the Teresonic Ingenium
http://www.teresonic.com/speakers/ingenium
In the Teresonic room there was a female opera like track that kicked ass and the speakers really look like sculptures. They are actually not too expensive compared to a $68,000 set of YG speakers I saw. But, the prettiest speaker goes to this one:
http://www.estelon.com/products/x-series/model-x-diamond/
It was in a cobalt blue finish...awesome.
I got to demo the brand new SVS Ultra Towers. They sounded great. Clear, dynamic, good deep but tight bass. Imaging maybe a touch less than some of the really high end sets, but still good. And they look great and feel expensive too. They also had a 5.1 setup with the rest of the Ultra speaker line and a SB13 sub, but did not demo that. I got to meet Mark Mason, the designer, and Gary Yacoubian. Both were super nice and helpful.
I saw the Aperion Versus Grand and 2 examples of their custom finishes. Those speaker are also beautiful. Check out the Aperion thread for a pic (side note, the camera on my iPad2 blows, especially since many rooms were dim. Tomorrow I am bringing a flash camera). the Aperion guys were great too. I think my initial impression favors the SVS towers, but I am going to re-listen to both.
I met the owner of Vapor Audio. Both the Cirrus Black and Aurora sound great, especially the Aurora for its price.
I was impressed with the Dynaudio Confidence C1 bookshelves...very clear and deep, crisp bass for a bookshelf. The Xeo wireless speakers sounded good too and that system is actually pretty damn cool.
I was not blown away by the Polk LSiM707. Bass was a bit muddy. The guy was telling me that the 705 set they brought last year fit the smallish room much better. I also was not blown away by the Zu Union. They, and other rooms, were playing LPs, which is not up my alley.
The Hsu room was cool. Dr. Hsu himself was running the show. He was very nice also. He brought 5 subs, as you can see, and had 5.1 set up with the HB-1 and HC-1 speakers. He played a scene from haunting for me with the VTF-15H..it was great. That, BTW, is one big sub!

I briefly listened to the new Bud Fried towers, also great. Tomorrow I hope to listen to Salk, PSB, Kef and more.

My buddy bought the Hsu VTF H demo, for a very reasonable price and is ecstatic with it. We set it it up within an hour of show closing on Sunday..Wow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 62 Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Congrats to your buddy, that is a powerful sub. I bet is sucked for the exhibitors adjacent to the Hsu room, you know, to have your music drowned out by the explosions from whatever movie demo Dr. Hsu had going. I did not totally love the HB speakers, but they do perform well considering their price.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page