RMAF 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am planning to go to this year's RMAF next month. It will be my first audio show, and I can see it is a rather big one given the long list of exhibitors.

So, I thought I would ask any of the veterans of previous shows what tips you have to make the show as enjoyable and painless as possibile. There are some brands that I definitely want to listen to, but I would love to know which exhibits I should not miss. Also, any practical advice on how to navigate the hotel or what order to tackle the rooms would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any other AVS members going, maybe we could meet up. It is always interesting to meet some of the people from these forums in person. I would happily trade some local Denver tips for tips on the show and how best to evaluate speakers, since I plan to get a set after the show and I definitely do not have the best ear for music or critical listening.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

I am planning to go to this year's RMAF next month. It will be my first audio show, and I can see it is a rather big one given the long list of exhibitors.
So, I thought I would ask any of the veterans of previous shows what tips you have to make the show as enjoyable and painless as possibile. There are some brands that I definitely want to listen to, but I would love to know which exhibits I should not miss. Also, any practical advice on how to navigate the hotel or what order to tackle the rooms would be appreciated.
Also, if there are any other AVS members going, maybe we could meet up. It is always interesting to meet some of the people from these forums in person. I would happily trade some local Denver tips for tips on the show and how best to evaluate speakers, since I plan to get a set after the show and I definitely do not have the best ear for music or critical listening.
Thanks

Prepare to walk a lot.

I printed off the list of exhibitors and highlighed the ones I wanted to visit. Then I found out where they were (tower/floor/room) and tried to number them in the order than made for the least amount of running back and forth.
post #3 of 62 Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I hope to meet some of you ladies and gents at the show this year. Happy travels.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #4 of 62 Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Vapor Audio will have a couple rooms this year, 577 sharing with BMC Electronics and 593 using Arte Forma gear. Please do come by and say hello ... swing by after hours and we'll certainly have plenty of beer and wine to share. Brandon, you have to come by and say hi smile.gif

Speaker Designer/Builder
Vapor Audio
post #5 of 62 Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I hope to meet some of you ladies and gents at the show this year. Happy travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post

Vapor Audio will have a couple rooms this year, 577 sharing with BMC Electronics and 593 using Arte Forma gear. Please do come by and say hello ... swing by after hours and we'll certainly have plenty of beer and wine to share. Brandon, you have to come by and say hi smile.gif

I am planning to drop by the Vapor Audio room..thanks for the info. Nuance, it would be great to meet. Your speaker quest thread is a great read and I am planning to look at towers in the $1,500-2,000 range after the show, so I would love to pick your brain. I am hoping to audition a bunch in my own home, some ID and some B&M brands.

post #6 of 62 Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Prepare to walk a lot.
I printed off the list of exhibitors and highlighed the ones I wanted to visit. Then I found out where they were (tower/floor/room) and tried to number them in the order than made for the least amount of running back and forth.

I was thinking along the same lines...maybe starting at the top and using stairs to work my way down. Which rooms were your favorite at the previous shows?

post #7 of 62 Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The elevators are slow. Really, really slow, and are normally packed. The best technique is to use them to go to the top floor in the tower you are planning on visiting (there are two), and take the stairs down floor by floor.

Other advise:

• Bring a CD or some other storage device (a lot of rooms are using servers, Mac Mini's, etc, that can take other devices), with some songs that you know and like. This is handy as you will gain a greater appreciation for the equipment and notice differences more readily with music you already know. Be prepared to hear a lot of the same songs/artists as some material is constantly used to demo stuff. Not all of it will be to your tastes, but be polite.
  • Bring a water, most of the rooms will have the A/C turned off as they are super loud and detract from the listening experience, but that translates to a lot of really warm rooms.
  • Try not to take too much time in the sweet spot as a lot of people will be coming through the rooms, but definitely don't be afraid to wait for it if you find the room interesting.
  • Try to keep conversations in the hallway if a demo is going on.
  • Don't stand at the back of the room where the bathrooms are, they almost always have a huge bass peak and that throws off the system balance.
  • There are going to be a lot of exhibitors, some of the best demo's I have had are from companies I have never heard of outside of die hard audiophile circles, try experimenting.
  • With that in mind, don't feel as though you need to hit every room, you'll be too rushed to enjoy many of them.
  • Bring earplugs, some of the demos can get uncomfortably loud. I sat too close to one of the surrounds at the multichannel DSOTM demo a year or two ago and it gave me a fair amount of pain in my ear for the remainder of the day.
  • There aren't really that many great food choices around the hotel. I've never cared for the restaurant in the hotel, and in easy walking distance are mainly fast food joints. The Mexican place across the street is not very good IMHO, a lot of people hit the Wendy's across the street (so expect a line), and the Panera (I think its a Panera at least) has some decent sandwiches. If you plan on where to go to lunch before you get hungry, several other options are available a block or two away.
  • Don't park in the business center across the street from the hotel. Over the years the office centers have gotten more aggressive about their parking policy and I saw several cars being towed last year.

How long you are going to be there will also impact your game plan. The show is generally busiest on Saturday, and slowest early Friday and late Sunday. I normally go all three days, so I hit my "must see's" on Friday as long as they are set up, and then take in the rest of the show on the next two days, with Sunday mainly being a missed room or second demo of gear that I liked.

The show is a lot of fun (my favorite audio show of the year normally), and the people are great, hopefully you have a great time.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8 of 62 Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

The elevators are slow. Really, really slow, and are normally packed. The best technique is to use them to go to the top floor in the tower you are planning on visiting (there are two), and take the stairs down floor by floor.
Other advise:
  • Bring a CD or some other storage device (a lot of rooms are using servers, Mac Mini's, etc, that can take other devices), with some songs that you know and like. This is handy as you will gain a greater appreciation for the equipment and notice differences more readily with music you already know. Be prepared to hear a lot of the same songs/artists as some material is constantly used to demo stuff. Not all of it will be to your tastes, but be polite.
  • Bring a water, most of the rooms will have the A/C turned off as they are super loud and detract from the listening experience, but that translates to a lot of really warm rooms.
  • Try not to take too much time in the sweet spot as a lot of people will be coming through the rooms, but definitely don't be afraid to wait for it if you find the room interesting.
  • Try to keep conversations in the hallway if a demo is going on.
  • Don't stand at the back of the room where the bathrooms are, they almost always have a huge bass peak and that throws off the system balance.
  • There are going to be a lot of exhibitors, some of the best demo's I have had are from companies I have never heard of outside of die hard audiophile circles, try experimenting.
  • With that in mind, don't feel as though you need to hit every room, you'll be too rushed to enjoy many of them.
  • Bring earplugs, some of the demos can get uncomfortably loud. I sat too close to one of the surrounds at the multichannel DSOTM demo a year or two ago and it gave me a fair amount of pain in my ear for the remainder of the day.
  • There aren't really that many great food choices around the hotel. I've never cared for the restaurant in the hotel, and in easy walking distance are mainly fast food joints. The Mexican place across the street is not very good IMHO, a lot of people hit the Wendy's across the street (so expect a line), and the Panera (I think its a Panera at least) has some decent sandwiches. If you plan on where to go to lunch before you get hungry, several other options are available a block or two away.
  • Don't park in the business center across the street from the hotel. Over the years the office centers have gotten more aggressive about their parking policy and I saw several cars being towed last year.
How long you are going to be there will also impact your game plan. The show is generally busiest on Saturday, and slowest early Friday and late Sunday. I normally go all three days, so I hit my "must see's" on Friday as long as they are set up, and then take in the rest of the show on the next two days, with Sunday mainly being a missed room or second demo of gear that I liked.
The show is a lot of fun (my favorite audio show of the year normally), and the people are great, hopefully you have a great time.

Thanks for the great advice. I actually live close enough that I plan to bike there and avoid parking all together, barring a bad rain storm. I also appreciate the warning about the food. I remember similar troubles finding good eats at other conventions I have been to. Maybe I will bring food to make it easier. I will only be attending Fri and part of Sat, so I guess I will have to prioritize.

post #9 of 62 Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I am hoping to drive up but have weeklong training the next week so have to have my slides ready... Work before play!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 62 Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

I am hoping to drive up but have weeklong training the next week so have to have my slides ready... Work before play!

Hopefully you can make it.

I started going through the list of exhibitors...wow..way too many to see them all. I guess I will have to cut down on my expectations on how many I will listen to. Still, can't wait.

post #11 of 62 Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
There's time to see everything. Just don't waste time in the rooms that sound bad or that don't interest you.

One suggestion I'd make is to keep track of the rooms you especially like, and visit them again on Sunday afternoon. Honstly, most rooms sound best on Sunday, once the people running them have had time to tweak everything. Also don't be afraid to ask for after hours demos if you're seriously interested in something. Personally, I'm happy to oblige if someone wants. And that gives you an excellent chance to hear without people constantly coming and going from the room.

Enjoy!

Speaker Designer/Builder
Vapor Audio
post #12 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought I would bump this, seeing how the show is in a couple days.

post #13 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting post over at Stereophile going over some of the product releases at this years RMAF. JVS states he didn't get them all, but the new Wilson's he mentioned should be fun to demo. Also, SVS will be showing some new gear this year as well. Fun stuff.

Edit: Fixed broken link.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #14 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I saw that. I did not realize how many products roll out at RMAF. Luckily, I am mostly interested in speakers, not so much the high end electronics etc. I also saw on the Legacy audio thread here that the new Aeris is being released, and folks on the Aperion thread are anticipating something new. Should be fun.

post #15 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Come and visit me in the Fried Audio room (room 1102), as I'll be co-hosting it with PAD (Big Red Machine). I look forward to see you guys there.
bitterwaste likes this.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #16 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Interesting post over at Sterophile going over some of the product releases at this years RMAF. JVS states he didn't get them all, but the new Wilson's he mentioned should be fun to demo. Also, SVS will be showing some new gear this year as well. Fun stuff.

HI. Can you give us a better link to the Stereophile post? Yours doesn't work, and I couldn't find the post from the stereophile home page. Thanks.
post #17 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

HI. Can you give us a better link to the Stereophile post? Yours doesn't work, and I couldn't find the post from the stereophile home page. Thanks.
Here you go, Dennis....
http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-everyones-favorite-show-opens-friday

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #18 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
How could any TRUE audiophile take serious a conference/demo that doesn't included Bose or Pyle Pro!? smile.gif

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #19 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

How could any TRUE audiophile take serious a conference/demo that doesn't included Bose or Pyle Pro!? smile.gif
It is hard, but we all have to make sacrifices at times. tongue.gif

~Nick

post #20 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Or new boom boxes from Aiwa!

post #21 of 62 Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked: 12
I cannot wait for all of the new annoucements from all of the manufacturers.
post #22 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM

I can't wait for Sunday myself to see all of this and now have my list of companies to go see! it will be a fun weekend coming up!

EMP tek 5.1 theater setup, Marantz SR6006, Oppo BDP-95
Salk Songtowers, Emotiva XPA-2, ERC-1.  

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #23 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Nice Nuance, I will be happy to meet you there if you are there on Sunday! And if Dennis Murphy going to be there as well?

This is a horrible hobby!!  My wallet hates me, takes up to much space, neighbors want me to move, but man my house sounds amazing!  

post #24 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Hopefully a full report of what is hot and sounds good will be relayed to those of us who don't live near Colorado!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #25 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will try to snap some pics with my iPad and post stuff as I go around, assuming I can get wifi. If not, later that night when I get home.

I really need to check this forum less often, I am actually supposed to be working... rolleyes.gif
bitterwaste likes this.

post #26 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:

I will try to snap some pics with my iPad and post stuff as I go around, assuming I can get wifi. If not, later that night when I get home.
I really need to check this forum less often, I am actually supposed to be working... rolleyes.gif

haha I hate to say it but I'm doing the same thing here at work, but its a slow day at my job so phew! I will try and take some pictures myself and post them on here. I have a list of 16 companies I want to see so it will be a busy day on Sunday due to the fact they close at 4:00 pm

post #27 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was probably going to go to the SVS room anyway, but now I am definitely interested:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/svs-ultra-speakers

post #28 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM

yeah I totally agree with you there, I want to see SVS (which is on top of my list) as well as Aperion, Emotiva and Totem to see what some of there new products sound like, at the end of this I might be selling all my speakers for some thing new. I'm sure my wife will hate me. :/ (But I will have a smile)

post #29 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I was probably going to go to the SVS room anyway, but now I am definitely interested:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/svs-ultra-speakers

WOW, those look awesome and promising.
post #30 of 62 Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwaste View Post

Nice Nuance, I will be happy to meet you there if you are there on Sunday! And if Dennis Murphy going to be there as well?

I'll be there but I think Dennis departs early Sunday. I look forward to meeting you.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page