Help with new speakers that sound good... I have some nice vintage speakers that are great, but new technology cant handle them. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I dont know how many here are familiar with the older model stuff out there compared to the new stuff... But here is what I have going on...

I have a pair of Infinity RS7 Speakers, was going to use these as my rear surrounds, 200w speakers 5-6 ohm
I have a pair of MX-400 Speakers, was going to use them as my front mains... 400w speakers 4ohm

I have a few parts I bought from the speaker company a while back...

Center Channel
8" Powered Subwoofer

I just purchased a Denon 3312 receiver last night, and I have a few 150wpc amps laying around.

I plugged my surrounds, center channel and sub into the 3312, plugged my amp into the pre-out for front left main and right main, ran my CV speakers off my amp... This seemed to work for a while, but my amp got hot real quick.

I then unplugged the mains from my dedicated amp and plugged them into the Denon, no go. About 6 seconds and the denon would turn off and start flashing red...

So instead of spending thousands of dollars on amps to properly power my speakers... I am looking at redesigning my setup. I need some mains that are more effecient, or possibly use my infinity RS7's as my mains and get some cheap surrounds...

I really enjoy the sound out of these speakers, it just seems as though I need some serious amps now adays to handle the load...

To give more perspective, I am running my 400w speakers off a 1979 kenwood KR-7050 receiver for hours on end.... This receiver was only rated at 85wpc in the day, but it plays these LOUD and the speakers sound grat, It never gets really hot, and shows max of 30watts on the analog meter.

There is a pair of Polk RSI A5 speakers for sale on craigslist right now for $500, I look at those specs and they show 8ohm 20-250 watts.... So it looks as though I may be in the same boat even with new speakers.... My denon is only rated to 125w or so per channel and I dont want to keep putting it itno protection mode everytime I turn the dial to -40.

Please, someone that has had the same problem, some advice on what I should do would be greatfully appreciated.

I can demo the denon for another 30 days, so if its not the right receiver to go with I can return it if I need to pair everything up differently.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page