Need some advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a home and am looking to get a decent audio system in the living room. Currently have a 55in samsung flat screen. Was thinking 2 floor speakers, center speaker, sub and receiver. Now I had Best Buy come out and do a price up and they are picking something around the lines of 2500-3000 for everything including install. I just dont know if I need that high end of stuff. Im a music lover and would like to be able to listen to my ipod and stuff around the house, and also have some nice audio for movies and such, but im not one that constantly i slooking to blast my sound and stuff. So I started lookin on Newegg.com and found some good reviewed Polk speakers and some decent receivers for way cheaper. So im torn, I mean, ive got some money to play with but do I really need to go that high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 402
No, you don't necessarily need to go "that high". What you need to do is determine what you like and want. That requires some shoe leather getting around and listening to setups. $3K can get you a nice 3.1 system or, it can get you a Bose HTB.

You are asking questions and that is a good start but no one can listen for you. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 40
There is a line of Pioneer speakers that are about as good as you can get for budget speakers, and they are on a massive sale right now at newegg.com. The prices listed are before the promo discounts are applied. http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1167&SubCategory=494&name=Pioneer-Home-Audio-Speakers I would get the front floorstanding pair, the center, and the bookshelf for the surrounds....all together that will only cost you $220. Then you can add in this sub if your room is under 3000 cubic ft http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026 if it is over 3000 cubic ft I'd go for this sub http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078. Then just pick any AVR that has the features you want. Newegg has a lot of good deals on Pioneers, Denon, Yamaha, and others. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=488&name=Receivers If you are unsure what exact feature you want, I would suggest getting at least something that performs room correction with a calibrated mic, then read up on the other options and maybe ask questions in the AVR section of the forum if you still need more info and suggestions.

By the way, RMK is right, there is no substitute for doing your own listening. My post above was just to show you that you can get great sound for under $1000....there are many options between the budget system I laid out and the system suggested by best buy.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks guys. Ill do some more research. Im definitely looking for something that when listening t music, I get a good overall sound. im a guitar palyer and have been warned about some sets that drown certain instruments out. Ive also attached a floor plan of my living room. Since its open...I dont think I can do rear speakers and also, its wood floors with vaulted ceiling. So Im thinking that might cahnge the sound some? Cary-FL1.jpg 136k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cary-FL1.jpg (135.8 KB, 4 views)
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page