Sealed in-wall/ceiling rear surround suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for a nice sealed speaker for an in-ceiling application. I have a pair of Linn bookshelf speakers that I bought 12 years ago that I still like for music, so I am considering the Linn Sekrit (http://www.linn.co.uk/systems/all-products/loudspeakers/sekrit-iw10-in-wall-loudspeakers). They are about $1050/pr and I would like to find something less expensive if possible. Searching around (in this forum and google) I seem to find quite a few that are more expensive (more like $1000+ each) but haven't had much like finding less expensive alternatives that seem decent. Any suggestions?
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think Speaker Craft makes an enclosed in-ceiling line of speakers in the $300 range (each I think).

Def Tech also make a large enclosed in-ceiling, but I think it is designed for surround sound, not as a main. It does does not look like the traditional in-ceiling is enclosed.

B&W may also make an enclosed in-ceiling as well if I recall correctly (most likely in the $700 range - each)

I had the same issue when trying to set-up my challenging room and placement of a center speaker. Since I could not get timber matched enclosed in-ceiling speakers, I added a back-box called Dynabox (from Dynamat I think - off Amazon). They run around $150 ea. I am very satisfied with this solution and have received several compliments on the sound quality and clarity of voice. My set-up consists of Atlantic Technology in-walls plus dual center in-ceiling speakers with the dynaboxes as enclosures.

I also liked the in-ceiling for it's directional capabilities - the woofer was angled, but the tweeter was directional allowing me to point the tweeter right at the listening position. Most angled in-ceiling speakers are limited to a set 15 degrees, which equates to approx. 2 - 3 linear feet from the speaker to the listening position off an 8' ceiling.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Triad makes sealed inwall and inceiling speakers. I would highly recomend them.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Triad makes sealed inwall and inceiling speakers. I would highly recomend them.

Triad is more expensive, not less.
Tom
post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

I think Speaker Craft makes an enclosed in-ceiling line of speakers in the $300 range (each I think).
Def Tech also make a large enclosed in-ceiling, but I think it is designed for surround sound, not as a main. It does does not look like the traditional in-ceiling is enclosed.
B&W may also make an enclosed in-ceiling as well if I recall correctly (most likely in the $700 range - each)
I had the same issue when trying to set-up my challenging room and placement of a center speaker. Since I could not get timber matched enclosed in-ceiling speakers, I added a back-box called Dynabox (from Dynamat I think - off Amazon). They run around $150 ea. I am very satisfied with this solution and have received several compliments on the sound quality and clarity of voice. My set-up consists of Atlantic Technology in-walls plus dual center in-ceiling speakers with the dynaboxes as enclosures.
I also liked the in-ceiling for it's directional capabilities - the woofer was angled, but the tweeter was directional allowing me to point the tweeter right at the listening position. Most angled in-ceiling speakers are limited to a set 15 degrees, which equates to approx. 2 - 3 linear feet from the speaker to the listening position off an 8' ceiling.

Thanks, the Speakercraft Accufit series looks like it may fit the bill....in terms of price anyway.
Tom
post #6 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post

Triad is more expensive, not less.
Tom

The InCeiling Mini/8 LCR can be had for less than $500/piece and the Bronze/8 Satellites are about $450/piece. I'm not sure how that's greater than $1050/pair.

-

post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

The InCeiling Mini/8 LCR can be had for less than $500/piece and the Bronze/8 Satellites are about $450/piece. I'm not sure how that's greater than $1050/pair.

I didn't see the mini/8 as I was looking for rear surrounds but it might work. $1000 is indeed less than $1050, though even more less than less than $1050 would be nice smile.gif

I don't see the bronze/8 for sale anywhere, do you have a link?

Tom
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry no link. I used a dealer that has now gone out of business. I still have one of their price pages.

Here is another pair that might fit the bill. Much more less than less than $1000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triad-OmniRound5-Main-Stereo-Speakers-Pair-/251112982690?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3a778008a2

-

post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surround speakers are $500ea MSRP and can be used InCeiling.

What model did you choose?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
List price on the InCeiling Mini LCR is $600.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page