Dual-Mono for Center Channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I get a chance I will play around with this for myself. But in the meantime, anyone here ever try a small pair of of stereo speakers running in dual-mono as a center channel?

I'm not talking about 2 center channel speakers above and below the screen, but a pair of stereo speakers spread apart below the screen, and in between (but obviously further back) the mains.

If so what results, or issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
What would the advantage be of two, instead of a single speaker? Are you talking about wiring them in series or in parrellel? If you want more drivers in the center channel, the best result would be to get a single center channel that has multiple drivers. It is alwasy best if your center matches the L/R mains in brand and model...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It would mono from the Pre/pro, split into a stereo amp, and the each speaker being driven by it's corresponding left and right amp channel.

And yes, the speakers would be a smaller match of the mains from the same manufacturer ( at least in this case).

post #4 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 309
If you placed them so they were exactly equidistant from the primary LP, then, IN THE PRIMARY LP ONLY, you would get something approximating the imaging you get from correlated info in the L/R speakers. IOW, you would get a central image. It's not likely that central image would be "better" than, or even as good as, the central image from a single, centrally placed CC, but it would exist as a central image. However, at any other LP, you would lose the central image and you would get a comb-filtered mess.

You don't state what you are trying to accomplish, but if it's just more volume from the CC, then a better CC is the better choice. Sound quality is not likely to be improved with dual mono CC's.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only thing I think I was trying to accomplish, was to maybe get less of a 'boxy' sound out of the center channel. And this morning, I had this brain fart of an idea of using 2 stereo speakers inside of the mains. Since my original post, I have had some time to actually play around with the idea. And after placing the small speakers up front, I have to agree with your assessment Craig, the center image isn't better. In fact, it's worse. The problem is due to the screen, the speakers have to be placed too far apart to lock a good solid center image. I could get a nice center image if I moved the 2 speakers closer together, but of course, then they are in front of the screen, and that's obviously no good. Oh well... it's fun to experiment.

Below is a picture of the small speakers I was talking about (the Evolution Acoustics MicroOne, and next to their bigger brothers). Note: for my center channel experiment, I actually had the Micros further back. This photo is simply one I took several weeks ago, when I first got them (before I moved them to the rear surround position).

post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Liked: 10
I have two identical speakers stacked as a line-array for wider dispersion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page