everything i read about "front high" says "as high as possible" but I can go extremely high...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My living room has a very, very high ceiling. very high. There is more of a limit on the height of the latter I can get to mount them, then the potential height of my "front high" speakers. That being so, how high should i really put my Front High speakers ? I have fairly crummy speakers now, but am slowly upgrading as time goes buy (oi' i just spent 3,000 on a television with a veterins budget.... I'm not exactly working with unlimited funds). In short, will end up with two tower front speakers with two "front high" speakers in this room that is made of brick, hardwood floor and has pictures posted in my other subjest (here). I'm using Energy RC-Micro for my Front High - center- Rear speakers and some old Towers for my Left and Right speakrs for now.... eventually the Energys will end up in my bedroom and towers on craigslist but for now my priority is mounting the universal-adjustable speaker mounts for my front*high and rear speakers in the optimum position for over-all quality.

I'm looking for 7.1 sound in this room and I suspect that Front High will prove more valuable then extra rears simply due to the extremel height of the room.

I aim to have my primary viewing spot exactly 10 feet from my 60es8000 television. I'm not very good at geomatry, i don't really understand angles and degrees. I'm a dumb grunt that only has a college degree because The Army paid for it. I'm just trying to do the best I can to get the most out of anything I can afford. If anyone can give me the hard numbers, or a clear formula that doesnt require a protractor to calculate the ideal height of my Front-High speakers (and if you are feeling generious the Front and Rears too...) then I'de appreciate it an awfull lot. I'm really struggeling to get everything just perfect for my new condo.

I've spent a lot of time searching in The AVS Forum and ive come across a lot of great stuff but the reality is I have a hard time understanding the angles and how to calculate them. I'm in a rough spot, see, because I'm a perfectionist and at the same time unable to do the math for the perfection in this scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
http://audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx

Audyssey recommends that the height speakers be placed at a 45 degree angle in elevation. Trig says 45-45-90 triangle is what we are dealing with here. So in laymans terms if you are 10 feet back from the TV Place the speakers 10 feet high. Audyssey also recommends a spread of 45 degrees in width from center to each speaker so that is 90 degrees total so basically that means 10 feet wide for you. So IMO 10' high and 10' apart is the exact measurements for your speakers. However even if you place them at 8 feet high or whatever as long as they are higher than all your other speakers that should be fine and as long as they are spread just a lil wider than your front L&R speakers that should also be fine.

Shawn
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think i get it.

Front Highs will be measured 10 feet up on the wall and about a foot or two outward from the location of my main front speakers, yes? err after looking at this chart :

Perhaps i should be sitting closer then 10 feet. I'm about 50% 720p Fios and 50% 1080p Blu-ray. Looks like maybe 8 or 9 would be more ideal. Hopefully thats a direct conversion to 8 or 9 feet off the ground. If so, why isnt it just recommended that people put their front highs the same distance up as the viewer sits from the screen? sure is easier then trying to measure the angle with anything but a guess. Holding my arm out in front of me and pointing doesnt exactly give me numbers.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"If so, why isnt it just recommended that people put their front highs the same distance up as the viewer sits from the screen? sure is easier then trying to measure the angle with anything but a guess. Holding my arm out in front of me and pointing doesnt exactly give me numbers."

Probably because the average viewer sits much farther from their screen/tv than the maximum height of their front wall.

As stated previously, it's the angle that counts. Your wall is high so no issue for you. For walls that are not high enough, the heights should go on the ceiling (not the front wall) and closer to the listener than the front wall so that the angle to the listener is roughly 45 degrees.

You can use a laser protractor to get it right.
cityinruin likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze View Post

Probably because the average viewer sits much farther from their screen/tv than the maximum height of their front wall.
t.

Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense now.

I was just measuring and marking with a sticker my speaker placement and it noticed how far away Front Highs are due to being flat on the wall (unlike fronts which are pulled a bit away from the wall) and I'm wondering if there is any height compensation for that distance?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you have a receiver that has audyssey room correction, the longer distance to the heights won't matter. The receiver will adjust the speaker delays accordingly so the sound from all speakers arrives at the listener at the same time.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

due to some trimming and room features, having the speakers 10 feet up looks fairly odd and the woman won't allow it..... would having them only 8 feet up be detrimental ? it's either that or 13 feet.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page