WAF tower speakers options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought Mirage OMD-15 at the blowout price from vann's about a year ago. I think they sound excellent and were quite a step up from my PSB GB-1 book shelf speakers.

My wife hates how they look and is constantly pressing me to get something else.

She wants something classic looking and is OK with tower speakers. She really likes how Totem speakers look, for example.

SO where do we compromise? I only will get something that sounds better than the current setup.

budget preferred target is around $3000 but can go either way capping at about $4500. I prefer used to save money and get more bang for the buck. Or deals online like the Mirage speakers...

If I'm getting something new I want something that's a step above the Mirage towers.

I've a peachtree nova powering them and it's 80W/channel at 6ohm.

Mostly we watch movies with it but I do enjoy music of all genres. No subwoofer can be used.

speaker setup is not ideal (my inexperienced opinion) but not terrible. They are slightly off center in the room roughly 6-7 feet apart with a large TV in between them and about 24" from the wall. Listening distance is about 12 feet away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmtber View Post

I bought Mirage OMD-15 at the blowout price from vann's about a year ago. I think they sound excellent and were quite a step up from my PSB GB-1 book shelf speakers.
My wife hates how they look and is constantly pressing me to get something else.
She wants something classic looking and is OK with tower speakers. She really likes how Totem speakers look, for example.
SO where do we compromise? I only will get something that sounds better than the current setup.
budget preferred target is around $3000 but can go either way capping at about $4500. I prefer used to save money and get more bang for the buck. Or deals online like the Mirage speakers...
If I'm getting something new I want something that's a step above the Mirage towers.
I've a peachtree nova powering them and it's 80W/channel at 6ohm.
Mostly we watch movies with it but I do enjoy music of all genres. No subwoofer can be used.
speaker setup is not ideal (my inexperienced opinion) but not terrible. They are slightly off center in the room roughly 6-7 feet apart with a large TV in between them and about 24" from the wall. Listening distance is about 12 feet away.

For high WAF, you might consider Salk. They sound great and your wife can choose any finish she likes (even match existing furniture).

http://www.salksound.com/

post #3 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

those supercharged songtowers look like they might be perfect. thanks!
post #4 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Liked: 38
You almost make it sound like a problem but it sure sounds like a good problem to have - the wife approves of neqw speaker shoppong and she doesn't balk at the budget either. You get to listen while she gets to look and approve of the aesthetic. Cool!

If she like Totems, then I assume by classic you mean wooden enclosures of fine veneers. Please keep in mind though the Totems do not come with grills so ask for her feelings about this too - wikll the speakers be displayed without their grills or does she expect them on.

In addition to Totems, then definitely look at Vienna Acoustics (furniture grade finishes) and the range of Dynaudios above the DM line too. Both extremely musical speakers that will match up well with a wide varity of subs for movies. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find dealers so, in your case, you can look and listen. Also, look at their website so she can see photos of the speakers and approve of their fit and finsih. The Salks, as suggested, offer many photos too on their website and seem to be highly regarded in this forum.

Also, since bang for the buck appear to be important to you, for fun show her these. To me they are classic with an edge, and the Focals I have heard in the past, sound very engaging and lively.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-38930-focal-electra-1027-s-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

Have fun and good luck!

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #5 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

She likes the smallish size of the Totems she saw and likes that they will match our mostly cherry wood in that area of the apartment.

also that they are nicely finished and rectangular in shape. the mirage have the omni design and she thinks they are something out of star trek...

grills or no grills does not matter as long as they are not weird shaped or funky colors.

PS: I live in Manhattan so have a number of options for listening. I just am hesitant to go as I will most likely buy these online or used online.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 801
FYI, at a four meter listening distance, in a normal size room, you can cleave about 14dB off the speaker sensitivity rating, What this means is, you'll have a heck of a lot of expensive trouble, reaching reference listening levels. When a guy buys to satisfy the WAF, this is a salient point the husband, "MUST" take into consideration; speaker efficiency vs WAF.

How this plays out is, how loud do you want it and how much amplifier are you able to buy to get you there?
post #7 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

We are seated against the back wall and the speakers are roughly 2-3' and ~4' from the side walls and as i mentioned before the speakers are roughly 6-7' apart. i'd have to measure tonight to be more precise.

I live in a small Manhattan apartment with thin floors so can't be blasting the music or movies most the time. The Mirage OMD-15 go plenty loud with no issues that I've ever noticed.

The volume knob almost never goes beyond the 50% mark with my 80W/channel nova. and it's plenty loud with bass vibrating things in the room.

i may very well be missing something, i simply don't have the experience to say. I've considered buying the peachtree 220w/channel amp but with the current setup it seems unnecessary.

I just discovered the ascend tower speakers and they seem to be very well regarded and I'm pretty sure my wife will like how they look.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It sounds like she hates the tweeter on top of the mirage. I have to admit that I don't like the way mirage puts that weird floating tweeter thing on top. Not only does it look funny, it also seems like it could break easily. I assume you have black speakers and not the cherry ones. If she likes the salks, I would get that. I've never heard them, but they get great reviews.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

It sounds like she hates the tweeter on top of the mirage. I have to admit that I don't like the way mirage puts that weird floating tweeter thing on top. Not only does it look funny, it also seems like it could break easily. I assume you have black speakers and not the cherry ones. If she likes the salks, I would get that. I've never heard them, but they get great reviews.

That is precicely what she does not like about the speakers and the fact they are rosewood and clash with her decor!
post #10 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I have some magnepan MG II's in the basement. They're basically a wooden and fabric panel 3' wide and 6' tall. My wife despises them. She's asked me to replace them many times. I always say, i'll look into it and in reality I don't They sound incredibly good. I've had them for more than 10 years now and she's given up. Not saying this will work for you, but you never know. Keep in mind that hating speakers is generally not grounds for divorce.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I live in a small Manhattan apartment with thin floors so can't be blasting the music or movies most the time.

This is definitely going work in your favor. Living on the West Coast in the Sierra-Nevada range (North of Sacramento), I'm envious of all your Manhattan deli choices. Just thinking of them puts ten pounds on.

Quote:
i may very well be missing something, i simply don't have the experience to say.

In the case of home theater, my opinion, in the simple, it's all about overall sound quality and THX mixed reference level listening levels; theater like sound levels.

Based on your above comment about your Manhattan living arrangements, your stated location limits your power requirements (needs) so in my opinion, assuming you're happy with what ever your choice in speaker reproduced sound quality, you won't be missing anything that you can't have due to the stated restrictions which your living environment demands.

-
post #12 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Just thinking of them puts ten pounds on.
-

I think I managed 2 or 3 in the last few weeks....it's off season from racing so I have to indulge! Going for something decadent and beefy here in a bit from the butcher shop in chelsea market near where I work!biggrin.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I think I managed 2 or 3 in the last few weeks....it's off season from racing so I have to indulge! Going for something decadent and beefy here in a bit from the butcher shop in chelsea market near where I work!biggrin.gif

Yes, a one pound prime rib-eye on the grill with fresh sourdough French bread and lot's of butter (no veggies) should fix that decadent need. What, no upcoming October 10K's or Halves? I already have a Costco, prime rib-eye in the freezer but it's going be a reward for dropping six pounds; strict 1,500 cal eating until then. frown.gif I'm out of running as I tore the right Achilles tendon sprinting a light and will reconsider upon healing and additional weight loss to take stress off the the tendon. Getting old and the tendons can't take the stress. Boo-hoo.

One of my favorite last half mile songs: Queen; "Body Language." It's the last half mile of an hours worth of effort, nice and relaxed, feet on the pavement, thump, thump, thump, thump, no cares in the world, just the music and the last half mile. I was an in-your-ear kind of runner. Keep your eyes on a swivel and pound out the miles as there's no reality; just music and the pavement ahead. biggrin.gif

Have you considered these outdoor speakers to match your wife's decorating requirements?

You can tone the black grill covers down with a very light dusting of spray paint. Very modern, very metropolitan. My guess, high WAF but I can't say about sound quality as you may need extra amplification due to what I consider to be poor speaker efficiency at the four meter listening position. This coupled with the 4 ohm amplifier speaker rating, I would recommend adding an Emotiva, XPA-5 to get you where you're wanting to go.

-
post #14 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
+1 on Salk. You pick out the speaker model, let her pick out the veneer. He's a master. I just got some Supercharged Songtowers recently, you can find my pics if you search under my handle. You can even send him a sample of the color you want and he can match it with additional stain.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I agree on the Salks. You can get any finish you want and they will dye to match existing furniture. The sound is widely praised here and in any other forum you check.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Another vote for the song towers. However, when I took delivery of my new Monitor Audio RX8's in Rosenut, the first thing my wife said was, "They are beautiful" smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page