polk bookshelf with paradigm center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering what people thought would be a good match to a paradigm cc-290 center channel. I am going to place it in my living room and need book shelf speakers to match but found a good deal on polk tsi-100"s. the set up is basically going to be used for everyday tv watching because I cant stand tv speakers and will only be a 3 channel setup since most of the movie watching will be in the theater room in the basement. I know paradigm atoms would be ideal but would there really be a noticable sound diff with just 3 channel listening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You would ideally want to stick to the same product line for the front 3 channels. Using speakers with a different sound signature will cause sounds and voices to change as they move from speaker to speaker, and cause other psychoacoustic problems.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile2k View Post

You would ideally want to stick to the same product line for the front 3 channels. Using speakers with a different sound signature will cause sounds and voices to change as they move from speaker to speaker, and cause other psychoacoustic problems.

+1

Since you are interested in the Polk TSI series, know that those are basically the same as the Polk Monitor series that Newegg carries (TSIs are mostly a cosmetic change upgrade). Get the Polk Monitor40s and the CS2 center, and you'll have a nice front soundstage.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 PM

I was told years ago at some highend audio/visual store that when matching different name brands for different channels, use the sensitivity dB number as a guide. I've never heard that advice again so I don't know how good that advice is. But that's what I've done. I have Audiofile 830L's for my main speakers 91dB ,400 watt 3 way's floor standing. With an Onkyo receiver, they sound great! Had them(speakers) for about 10 yrs. Never thought I would need more. They're out of business now. So recently I actually found a center channel that is close in sensitivity as well as design. They look like the same brand. That is important to me, I'm not a purist but I want them to look good as well. They're MTX monitor6c. Redoing my whole setup so haven't heard them yet. But if anyone has any advice or opinion on this I would like to hear it. May use some Boston Acostics for back channels or some small wall mountable speakers. I did notice MTX matches the sensitivity with their main & center channel setup, but not with their back channel's. Just sayin'. I've always liked Polk Audio, they always sound better in a side by side comparison to others in their price range.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

I was told years ago at some highend audio/visual store that when matching different name brands for different channels, use the sensitivity dB number as a guide. I've never heard that advice again so I don't know how good that advice is. But that's what I've done. I have Audiofile 830L's for my main speakers 91dB ,400 watt 3 way's floor standing. With an Onkyo receiver, they sound great! Had them(speakers) for about 10 yrs. Never thought I would need more. They're out of business now. So recently I actually found a center channel that is close in sensitivity as well as design. They look like the same brand. That is important to me, I'm not a purist but I want them to look good as well. They're MTX monitor6c. Redoing my whole setup so haven't heard them yet. But if anyone has any advice or opinion on this I would like to hear it. May use some Boston Acostics for back channels or some small wall mountable speakers. I did notice MTX matches the sensitivity with their main & center channel setup, but not with their back channel's. Just sayin'. I've always liked Polk Audio, they always sound better in a side by side comparison to others in their price range.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 743
It's the timbre match that's very important, and you can't compare the timbre match of speakers with specifications.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks, but Im looking for good enough not can't. Surely companies use some sort of audio principles in order to achieve timbre matching.I don't need sonic perfection just a hint, in case MTX doesn't work for me.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks, but Im looking for good enough not can't. Surely companies use some sort of audio principles in order to achieve timbre matching.I don't need sonic perfection just a hint, in case MTX doesn't work for me.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks i believe i will try to find a pair of used paradigm atoms or just get new series for 400
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page