Need help selecting speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been waiting 5 years to get speaker for our living room. It is prewired for surround sound and my partner loves to watch movies so I'm going to get a whole system. I was trying to decide between a several receivers and he wants the DenonAVR3313C for some technical aspects so we are set on that I guess.

As for speakers, good friends of ours have B&W one of the 800 series. After I heard those I was set on getting a lower end of the same brand. Now that we have some money saved up I went out and listened to the 600 series. It was really good, but I'm wondering what else I should go listen to, for comparison's sake.

What I am thinking about getting is the 683 with ASW608 subwoofer and HTM62 center channel. in wall (ceiling) speakers. Although I'm debating if this is "too much" and I should just with the bookshelf (685) speakers and the M1 for enter?

What other speakers should I consider? I know individual preference is important but I work 60+ hours per week and have 2 small children so I don't have a ton of time to listen to all the good possibilities. If it helps I have a 22 year old pair of EPIs that I still think sound okay, I hate the BOSE sound and listen to crap 80s music, classical violin and piano as well as jazz/blues and dance music like Kascade or Pitbull, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 23
Focal Chorus V series
PSB Imagine Series
PSB Synchrony series
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 13
Can you post a diagram of your room with its dimensions?

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a diagram, but will work on measurements later. I would estimate it is 12 by 18 but not fully enclosed, the back half of the room opens into the dining area they form an L.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not sure what your budget is but we like our James inwalls.

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=by_series&id=32&sr=1

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Okay now I may move the old speakers downstairs and try to build a surround sound system around them. Possible? They are EPI, pretty sure Series 3 something 120?

I would be getting very small speakers for my upstairs enjoyment. Maybe I should start at least one new thread...
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post

So I've been waiting 5 years to get speaker for our living room. It is prewired for surround sound and my partner loves to watch movies so I'm going to get a whole system. I was trying to decide between a several receivers and he wants the DenonAVR3313C for some technical aspects so we are set on that I guess.
As for speakers, good friends of ours have B&W one of the 800 series. After I heard those I was set on getting a lower end of the same brand. Now that we have some money saved up I went out and listened to the 600 series. It was really good, but I'm wondering what else I should go listen to, for comparison's sake.
What I am thinking about getting is the 683 with ASW608 subwoofer and HTM62 center channel. in wall (ceiling) speakers. Although I'm debating if this is "too much" and I should just with the bookshelf (685) speakers and the M1 for enter?
What other speakers should I consider? I know individual preference is important but I work 60+ hours per week and have 2 small children so I don't have a ton of time to listen to all the good possibilities. If it helps I have a 22 year old pair of EPIs that I still think sound okay, I hate the BOSE sound and listen to crap 80s music, classical violin and piano as well as jazz/blues and dance music like Kascade or Pitbull, etc.

Dynaudio Excite 32 or Sonus Faber Toy Tower.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page