Old EPI speakers and new surround sound system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm thinking about using my old speakers EPI Series 3? to build my surround sound in the living room. Denon is the likely receiver, although I am wavering on that also now, wondering if Yamaha or Sony is better...

Anyway, so what sub, center and in-ceiling speakers should I consider? Can I just pair anything together with my old pair? I'd like the new ones to "match" cause it just seems easier to deal with fewer brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post

So I'm thinking about using my old speakers EPI Series 3? to build my surround sound in the living room. Denon is the likely receiver, although I am wavering on that also now, wondering if Yamaha or Sony is better...
Anyway, so what sub, center and in-ceiling speakers should I consider? Can I just pair anything together with my old pair? I'd like the new ones to "match" cause it just seems easier to deal with fewer brands.

Go to humanspeakers.com and then click on the EPI link.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 13
I am a fan of EPI and the Human Speakers replacement parts. Not sure about the series 3 but mine are far better and flatter sound than you can find in newer speakers for the similar inflation adjusted price range. For your center you want to match the EPI's closely so find a model of the Human's that can match yours or just ask him for advice. Surrounds, in ceiling, I can't help you there but I am sure this forum can help you with some great choices.

I have a set of 7 of the refurbished EPI 100's same sturdy cabinets all new woofers, a couple of the newer tweeters and crossovers, and five of the original tweeters still going strong.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Liked: 12
I have a pair of 100s and I went looking for a center to match but couldn't find a reasonably priced model... if you can find another exact speaker to match would really be best. Series three isn't a model I am familiar with, if you play around on the human website I'm sure you can clear things up.

As for your other question, Sony isn't better than Denon and neither is Yamaha for that matter. Match features to what you need and then get that one. Avoid Sony tho...

Rear speakers do not need to match the fronts so much, but getting an EPI center would be best as those tweeters stand out.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 13
I had a pretty weak center until I found a used EPI 100 on line and then just refreshed it. The EPI 100 (really Human DIY in an EPI Cabinet) is a great center. Three matched fronts is a fantastic way to go. Look in the Sub forum after you decide on a budget or price range and get as good a sub as you can.