bookshelf speakers for on the bookshelf - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright...so I know ideal placement for bookshelf speakers in a home theater setup isn't on a bookshelf - it's on a proper speaker stand spaced out from the wall. However in my setup this isn't going to be possible - they really need to go on the bookshelf.

So the question is...are any of the lines of bookshelf speakers particularly well designed for placement on a bookshelf - where they will need good isolation and be able to handle being a little "crowded" - at least from the back and perhaps on one side.

I've always been a paradigm fan and my existing setup is Monitor 7's and a CC-370 center channel. However I'm afraid the mini monitor's rear-ported design won't work well with the back of a shelf a few inches away.

I'm considering Definitive's Pro Monitor line. They seem better suited by design for actually placing on a bookshelf. And they have the added bonus that they come in white, which my wife will love (or not hate to be more accurate).

So...let's hear it...in a "real world" situation, what speakers/features should i be looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Yep. If your speakers will be pushed back up against the back of the bookcase, best to get front ported or sealed speakers. But if you can buy the Mini Monitors locally, maybe you can bring em home for a demo. Maybe there will be enough room. If the bass doesn't sound bloated or muddy, you are good to go.

NHT makes nice sealed speakers that would work fine for bookshelf placement.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any experience with the definatives? Looks like the nht absolute zero is the same price point as the def 100's.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I would look at Focal 705V - some good sounding speakers
http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34398

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34397

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
fwiw,don't know what your budget is but have a look at the boston acoustics bt1 lcr's at accessories4less $380 ea. great speaker company with quality drivers, these where made for in cabinet use and are very efficent at 93db great for ht

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 258
You definitely need to get some front-ported speakers for your situation.

I suggest that you look at the KEF Direct webite; they make excellent speakers that are almost all front-ported.

The iQ30 would be a good choice, or the C3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncumming View Post

Alright...so I know ideal placement for bookshelf speakers in a home theater setup isn't on a bookshelf - it's on a proper speaker stand spaced out from the wall. However in my setup this isn't going to be possible - they really need to go on the bookshelf.
So the question is...are any of the lines of bookshelf speakers particularly well designed for placement on a bookshelf - where they will need good isolation and be able to handle being a little "crowded" - at least from the back and perhaps on one side.
I've always been a paradigm fan and my existing setup is Monitor 7's and a CC-370 center channel. However I'm afraid the mini monitor's rear-ported design won't work well with the back of a shelf a few inches away.
I'm considering Definitive's Pro Monitor line. They seem better suited by design for actually placing on a bookshelf. And they have the added bonus that they come in white, which my wife will love (or not hate to be more accurate).
So...let's hear it...in a "real world" situation, what speakers/features should i be looking for?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have some Monitor Audio RX2’s, which are rear ported with the option to plug the port or not. I do have mine on a shelf with the port plugged.

My only problem is when I decide to listen to some 2chaneel music without a sub, I do unplug the ports.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Home Theater Direct has some front ported speakers, the Level 2 and the Level 3. The Level 2's have a silk dome tweeter. The Level 3's have a horn loaded ribbon tweeter. www.htd.com

Cliff