Home Theater Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I am new here, so thanks in advance for your advice. I am looking for a home theater system. Just bought the onkyo Tx- nr515 receiver and now am looking for speakers. My room is fairly large 24x20. We have young kids so I am going to have to compromise and go with small satellite speakers. It will be used mostly for tv/movies but some music as well. I am considering the Polk tl350 and the definitive technology procinema 800 setups.

My question is, is either better for my situation? Should I consider something else entirely? One issue I have is when watching tv/movies, I hate having to constantly adjust the volume for different scenes.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
some kind of budget would be nice and how many speakers are you looking to use and do you need a sub

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Upper limit for my budget would be $1200. I do need a sub plus the 5 other speakers. It seemed like the def tech and Polk (when I add the sub) would put be close to the $1200.

Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
fwiw,with a room that size and that kind of budget i would look into the hsu hybrid2 3.1 package ($1136 ship.)and save up for some surrounds this willstart you out with a great foundation . the pinpoint am40 speaker mounts are great and can be had for $50-$60 a pair online

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmurray324 View Post

One issue I have is when watching tv/movies, I hate having to constantly adjust the volume for different scenes.

Do you adjust the volume when you go to a movie theater? It's the same thing at home. The sound track is designed this way. Put the remote down and enjoy the movie sound track. The problem, at home you have a remote control, at the movies, you don't. It really is that simple.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

One issue I have is when watching tv/movies, I hate having to constantly adjust the volume for different scenes.
Thanks again!

Welcome DJ, the issue you describe is one of the things that starts people down the road to to full blown dedicated theater spaces. Loudspeaker quality, position and room acoustics all contribute to poor quality sound. Some reading here about those issues will allow you to optimize whatever speaker choice you make. But be careful as this stuff can be addictive. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I guess I want to ensure the center channel is good.

So I appreciate the 3.1 advice but we are doing a bunch of work in our family room and I want to get it wired and set up for surround sound. Are the two systems I mentioned not appropriate for my size room? Are there others that would be better?

Thanks again!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Your receiver has audyssey dynamic volume. Turn it on and it will fix your problem. If it's on max it should really tone down the peaks, however sound quality will deteriorate some.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Your receiver has audyssey dynamic volume. Turn it on and it will fix your problem. If it's on max it should really tone down the peaks, however sound quality will deteriorate some.

When watching regular commercial cable television programming, I have the Dynamic Volume control set to medium but when watching a movie, I crank the volume to 0dB and turn the Dynamic Volume control off. The point, yes, sound quality suffers if one tries to listen to a movie sound track if Dynamic Volume is turned on but if at low listening levels, such as when watching regular broadcast television at normal listening levels, having Dynamic Volume set to medium, it's a big listening help.

I also have gone into the receivers controls and turned the center channel up three dB. wink.gif

-
post #10 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the help.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page