Surround speaker question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to upgrade my Boston Acoustics Micro VRS surrounds.I'm trying to stay around $200, but I have a question. I have the Denon AVR 890 and an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub. After running Audyssey, I set all my speakers to small so the sub handles all the bass. Is it really necessary to get a set of surrounds that have a nice size driver if the sub is going to handle all the bass? I was always under the impression that surrounds were meant to just "fill" the rear space. I'm seeing some really expensive surrounds with 5" drivers and it seems like they wouldn't get used to their potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

I'm looking to upgrade my Boston Acoustics Micro VRS surrounds.I'm trying to stay around $200, but I have a question. I have the Denon AVR 890 and an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub. After running Audyssey, I set all my speakers to small so the sub handles all the bass. Is it really necessary to get a set of surrounds that have a nice size driver if the sub is going to handle all the bass? I was always under the impression that surrounds were meant to just "fill" the rear space. I'm seeing some really expensive surrounds with 5" drivers and it seems like they wouldn't get used to their potential.
Mid-bass is just as important as the bass. As such, all my speakers have 8" mid-bass drivers.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

So the mid bass will still go to the surrounds when all speakers are set to small?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

So the mid bass will still go to the surrounds when all speakers are set to small?

there is midbass and midrange and your question i still dont know the answer to after months of reading here. i set my 5.0 speakers to small and crossover 80, sub 120. it sounds great and i dont even bother to try and understand frequencies etc. it makes my head spin.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Most satellite speakers w/ 4" and smaller main drivers tend to roll off around 150 -200 Hz (enormous overgeneralization here) even though they may list an 80 Hz frequency. That's why they tend to sound small compared to larger models.

So, a typical setup will have a hole between the crossover frequency (probably 80-120 Hz) and natural roll off of the surrounds. However, Audyssey and the like will eq each channel to fill in some of that hole. This does work pretty well, but the cost is greater power demands on the receiver and greater excursion and thermal power handling demands on the satellite speaker.

Is it worth it to have a large main driver in the surround? That's kind of up to you.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Typically, 80 is standard XO to the sub. But with really small speakers, 100~150 htz maybe required.
BUT, mid-bass normally goes to 650~800 hz, typically. So the range of the mid-bass is covering 80~650 or even to 800. And even if the sub XO is @ 150, that is still a 500~650 htz range for the mid-bass driver to cover.
You would be surprised at the amount of bass you hear is in the mid-bass range, instead of the sub.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 8 Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well, those have a published freq plot:

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/Upload/PDFs/reviews/current/2200review_ht.pdf

The bipolar surrounds look like they roll off around 130 Hz and would be down about 7db at 80 Hz. Audyssey should be able to correct for that roll off.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page