speaker and layout help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a set of 4 Mirage Omni 550 floor-standing speakers, OS3CC center, and Omni S8 with Denon AVR-987/2807 receiver that I bought a few years ago when I was a bachelor in an apartment. Now I'm married and have a house with a much different layout, so I'm looking to swap out the speakers that will a) work better with our layout and b) make the wife happy. I don't really have a set budget yet, but my goal is to stay under $200/speaker.

The living room is a very open floor plan that combines with the kitchen and breakfast area:

The overall room dimensions are about 26 feet wide by 24 feet front-to-back. The main couch is about 10 feet from the TV.

The current speakers are the black rectangles, clearly not ideal positioning. Currently the TV is wall-mounted with the center underneath and the two fronts on either side. In the next few months, we plan on having a built-in bookshelf/entertainment center put in, so I probably could keep the fronts, but I'm probably going to replace them with bookshelf speakers.

I'm not sure what to do about the surrounds, however. My wife would prefer in-wall/in-ceiling or some small satellites, but I know in-ceilings aren't ideal and I don't know where I would put satellites if I went that route. Maybe on the wall above the current left surround? The x box along the wall next to it is floor to near ceiling cabinets, so that's as far back along the wall that it could go.

The small x boxes on the island are columns to the ceiling, so I could probably put the left surround satellite either on the column or on the ceiling in front of the column without it looking too out of place and drawing comments from the ball-n-chain;)

The right surround I guess would have to go on the wall or ceiling above the door, or immediately to the right of the door. Or would in-ceiling for the rear be better than those options for the surrounds?

Any thoughts or suggestions on placement, speaker type, and/or specific speaker recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page