Tower speaker help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been doing some research and came across two speakers that seem to be getting good reviews; they are the psb image t6 and the tekton m lores. Which of these would be best for 50% ht and 50% music. Also are there others to be recommended besides these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
You're going to be recommended every kind of speaker out there. See if you can find dealers near you and audition these OR other speakers to gain a prospective on what you like and dislike. Everyone's ears are different so no one can recommend you a speaker with anywhere near 100% confidence.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #3 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes its good to get out and try and demo as many options as you can. Most can only tell you what they like (own/owned) or disliked.

While they don't offer a "free" in home trial but do offer 30days for a return the Arx A5s have be great. About $800-850 shipped they offer awesome bang for the buck compared to some other typical ID brands and ones i've had the chance to directly compare inhome and compared at some friends houses. Compared them too some Axiom M50s, Boston Acoustics VR1's and VR3's, Paradigm Monitor 9s. Ended up keeping the Arx speakers and returned/sold the others. Not to say the others where bad especially the Paradigms which were very good and the older VRs, just the Arx offered more of what I was looking for. The Price the Arx is offered at is crazy, and I would have no problem doing a side by side demo with other speakers costing more than double.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=216&

Some owner reviews:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_reviews_info.php?p=arx-a5-floorstanding-loudspeaker&products_id=216&reviews_id=257&
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/blog/archives/226
post #4 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I would have to drive at least 50 miles to audition them and as for many of the brands I look, at I'm not even sure most physical stores carry them, so physical auditioning can get kind of stressful for me. The internet by far has the biggest selection. But thats not to say I won't try to audition at least a few in the store as soon as I can. I think tekton is only sold directly so I'd have to buy them first to hear them.
So you would recommend the Arx A5 over the psb and m lore?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well Arx, Aperion Audio, EMP, TekTon, XTZ, Emotiva, and a few others that offers towers are sold manufacturer direct. Not sold in stores.

I can't comment on the PSB or M Lore, haven't heard either of those. I can say that I've compared the Arx to some Axiom models, Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 towers and some older Boston Acoustics VR 1 and 3 towers, and the Arx was by far my favorite especially in midbass definition and neutral highs crisp and detailed but not "In your face, ear ringing".

Arx and most other internet direct companys offer at least 30days for inhome trial you can return no questions asked. Although Arx and most of the others you will have to pay shipping to ship back. Demoing speakers isn't free, just like you could go to the retail stores and demo by that might mean a few weekends to hit all the stores and waste alot of gas money especially if you have to drive 2plus hours to each store.

Just noticed on the Arx site that there is one pair of Arx A5 towers open box thats been discounted by down to $649, $100 off.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?1627-Fall-2012-B-Stock-Deals!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm taking a look at the Arx 5 and xtz 99.36. They both seem fairlly new so I'm probably gonna wait and see if more reviews and discussion emerges before I pull the trigger on anything.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Someone over at Audioholics just ordered the XTZ 99.36mkII and hopefully he'll get to give some first impressions this week. He said he leaves on Friday for 10days for vaca (of course lol) so we'll see.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #8 of 8 Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'd be interested to hear.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page