Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #631 of 1058 Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Got my reference 10 WASBSKT stand biggrin.gif I was taking my son to Walmart and ran into this. A 10 Gallons waste basket, its about 19.25" high for $10 a set . Front side is glossy. They have flat black around 24" inch high costing a little more.

Hope you enjoy the laugh. I almost carry a cinder block from outside today but socal was nearly 90 degrees warm and I would have to wash it. Wife is coming today and I wonder if she will know its a waste basket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1058 Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post

Got my reference 10 WASBSKT stand biggrin.gif I was taking my son to Walmart looking for something temporary. Found 10 Gallons waste basket, its about 19.25" high for $10 a set . Front side is glossy. They have flat black around 24" inch high costing a little more. Hope you enjoy the laugh. I also went outside and carry a cidar block but it was dam too heavy and I would have to wash it. Wife is coming today and I wonder if she will know its a waste basket.

Oh my biggrin.gif seriously I hope it is temporary yes wink.gif

Walmart has Cedar blocks that might be good tongue.gif
post #633 of 1058 Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You could have at least went with black! LOL biggrin.gif
post #634 of 1058 Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 112
^^^ tractng,

I see that you've progressed and upgraded the speaker selection : CA Min11 ---> CA Aero ---> KEF LS50

In full agreement with your choice in with the KEF LS50. KEF's coincident driver design of tweeter and woofer is special.smile.gif

Trust that you've got the sub and KEF LS50 integrated well so that the cross over from satellite to sub is smooth.biggrin.gif

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #635 of 1058 Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

^^^ tractng,

I see that you've progressed and upgraded the speaker selection : CA Min11 ---> CA Aero ---> KEF LS50

In full agreement with your choice in with the KEF LS50. KEF's coincident driver design of tweeter and woofer is special.smile.gif

Trust that you've got the sub and KEF LS50 integrated well so that the cross over from satellite to sub is smooth.biggrin.gif

Yea. I will keep the min11 for the rears for now since I like the size.

I was impressed when listening to the LS50. The dealer had a driver for display. I held the driver in my hand and it felt very solid/heavy for the size. It was closing time but remember seeing the 30K blade at the store. When I go and pick up the center speaker, I will ask for a demo.
post #636 of 1058 Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post It was closing time but remember seeing the 30K blade at the store. When I go and pick up the center speaker, I will ask for a demo.

Yes please let us know I heard they are really good!

post #637 of 1058 Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea. I will keep the min11 for the rears for now since I like the size.

When doing some research for speaker up-grade, I was in a good position to compare the sound quality of the CA Min11 vs. KEF E301, I was more impressed with the KEF and purchased a complete 5.0 set.

Note that the KEF E301 has a similar coincident driver arrangement as the LS50 and it's F3 is rated at 90Hz. Compared that to the CA Min11 which has its F3 rated at 120Hz. confused.gif

Since you're going with KEF LS50 for the front sound stage, in my opinion it would be sensible to go with KEF satellites for the surrounds. Understand the small aesthetic appeal of the Min11 - almost Bose type jewel satellites with better sound. In the end what matters most is that you're satisfied with your surround sound system and enjoy the listening experience. A good test to see how well your surround sound system is set-up / integrated is by playing some multi-track tunes (either on DVD-A, SACD or concert recordings). AIX records has this blu-ray which is quite good: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IO8UFQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3D0499QF5REIR&coliid=I3EJJ6SJ882676
tractng likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #638 of 1058 Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes please let us know I heard they are really good!

I called the dealer and ordered a single LS50 and a pair of eggs from Kef. Would have been nice to go with all LS50 around but I didn't want to clutter the room with speakers.rolleyes.gif I didn't ask the dealer if he carries the Blade but checked the Kef site which doesn't seem like they do. I must be seeing things now.

You have to hear it for yourself. biggrin.gif
post #639 of 1058 Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the Stands I got are pretty decent for the money look great and match up with the fit and finish of the KEFs, but they need to be filled with sand, and once that is done they are very nice. Here is a couple of pics with nice juice running through them, I move them back and forth from time to time from my office setup to my HT room, now made easier with new stands!

post #640 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Very nice, are those Dynaudio next to the LS50s?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #641 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I saw a post recently...about pairing the LS-50s with a Rega Brio-R (I was going to chime-in, but I can't seem to find it now confused.gif)

I have to admit...these speakers have me totally vexed. I started off, driving them (in my Office rig) with a Rega Brio-R. I had found the Brio-R, to be a wonderful little IA...with other pairings; Monitor RX-1s, Rega RS-1s...maybe some others. But with the LS-50s, I still felt they were coming up a bit short.

I was really curious, about the W4S mINT...because I read a review, that dug the combo; and the general consensus, was the LS-50 needed a good, swift kick in the as*...to sound their best wink.gif

I tried a Hegel H-70 instead...and liked it so much; I almost immediately turned around...and bought the new H-80. That combo was fine...quite fine; but then...

I have a little Cayin 6V6-tube IA; that I had used with the Rega RS-1s for a spell. Great-sounding unit...but, it's rated 10watts per side (truth is...it always sounded much bigger; and I've seen reviews, that suggest it's more stout than that). I hadn't brought myself to sell it for a while...because like I said, it's a little beauty; if you can find a way to make it work.

But, I finally decided to list it...and just to make sure everything was in good working order, get some pics, and give it one last listen before it went to a new home; I threw it into the Office rig. I expected it to sounded positively anemic; with the inefficient, supposedly power-hungry LS-50s...especially coming straight from the Hegel H-80.

What can I tell ya; this hobby can throw you for a loop sometimes. Don't ask me why; the LS-50s...IMHO...sound better, than with any of the 3 previous amps! eek.gif

They're a strange, beautiful creature...these LS-50s. Experiment guys; you just might find a surprise to your liking, as I did.
techblogpool likes this.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #642 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Very nice, are those Dynaudio next to the LS50s?

Sorry Garman; I'm gong to steal your thunder, and answer...lol.

Yes...those are beautiful C2s, next to his LS-50s. Great room Garman. Man...I need to get my HT put back together; nothing like a truly BIG screen! biggrin.gif

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #643 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Sorry Garman; I'm gong to steal your thunder, and answer...lol.

Yes...those are beautiful C2s, next to his LS-50s. Great room Garman. Man...I need to get my HT put back together; nothing like a truly BIG screen! biggrin.gif

Well, CD you have good ears! One of the reason I bought the LS50s is from what you told me about them and I happen to be a a party at a friends house who had a pair, that sealed the deal. One of the best monitors I have heard in a while for under 2K, ever!!! Granted I have had a ton of Dynaudio experience over the last 20 years, as they will always be in my home. Although I been hearing a lot of good things about Dali as well lately. The power the KW-500 has and a tube output stage with 500wpc flowing through the KEFs sure makes things sweet sounding, I do switch them back and forth from my home office which is just a room away.
post #644 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice setup you have Garman. I also go my stands, but its a Sanus. The sanus has 4 little holes and I was using a funnel on one of the holes eek.gif. Finally, I realized it will take forever. I wrapped painters tape around the top and utilized all the holes (much faster) rolleyes.gif

post #645 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

tractng: My stands had big gaps on ether side and a metal strip down the middle where you put the top plate on, so it only took 2 min to fill each tube. My stands are gloss black and tempered glass bottoms, very nice looking and mate well with KEF LS50s but if you didn't fill them with stands they had too much vibration and ringing after some slight modifications and putting sand into them, they are great now and not expensive even though they look like it. biggrin.gif Although with you dual tubes you will definitely have more weight.
post #646 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

^ I've used the Auralex MonoPad to isolate the KEF E301c center channel speaker from the glass top of the entertainment cabinet. This is to slightly improve dialogue when watching TV/movies and listening to music in Dolby PLII or DTS. They come in pairs and details are here: http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

You can also get them from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0B4K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Priced a little on the high side, but the MonoPAD looks nice and have the ability to angle the monitors. For those who've 10x or more just on one speaker, it may give you a better outcome.

post #647 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if Sorbathane feet of the appropriate density and size may work even better....?

Thanks for the comment - I've been eyeing both.

Blessings,
Moses

Quote:

^ I've used the Auralex MonoPad to isolate the KEF E301c center channel speaker from the glass top of the entertainment cabinet. This is to slightly improve dialogue when watching TV/movies and listening to music in Dolby PLII or DTS. They come in pairs and details are here: http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

You can also get them from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D0B4K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Priced a little on the high side, but the MonoPAD looks nice and have the ability to angle the monitors. For those who've 10x or more just on one speaker, it may give you a better outcome.
post #648 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I like Auralex but even like these more and I bought a pair for any speaker I end up using in my office, including the KEFs with great results.

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil.htm More expensive but well worth it, and you can get angled pairs I believe.
post #649 of 1058 Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Got my reference 10 WASBSKT stand biggrin.gif I was taking my son to Walmart and ran into this. A 10 Gallons waste basket, its about 19.25" high for $10 a set . Front side is glossy. They have flat black around 24" inch high costing a little more.

Hope you enjoy the laugh. I almost carry a cinder block from outside today but socal was nearly 90 degrees warm and I would have to wash it. Wife is coming today and I wonder if she will know its a waste basket.

Gotta be a candidate for best pic of the year!
post #650 of 1058 Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

...They're a strange, beautiful creature...these LS-50s. Experiment guys; you just might find a surprise to your liking, as I did.

It seems a few folks have paired these with not-so-large wattage tube amps with great results, as long as they have a decent power supply. I'm thinking my Bottlehead 1-1/2 watt headphone amp may be a bit too light though. biggrin.gif For now using a high wattage/current SS amp with a tube buffer line stage, but would love to go the tube amp route.

The sensible part of me would want a class D amp for these speakers. It would be easy to live with then a tube amp, lower running and maintenance cost. Just not sure how it would sound with the KEF metal drivers.
post #651 of 1058 Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

I like Auralex but even like these more and I bought a pair for any speaker I end up using in my office, including the KEFs with great results.

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil.htm More expensive but well worth it, and you can get angled pairs I believe.

I love those Garmin. I really like "pads" and bases, that "grab"...but don't "stick" (and mar-up the speakers...even if it is just the bottom). I used some Herbie's Small Soft Dots (http://herbiesaudiolab.net/softfat.htm), with my VTI stands and the LS-50s. Work really well; but I like that Recoil Stabilizer a lot (as long as it's not too pricey, lol. Can you PM me the info? Thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

It seems a few folks have paired these with not-so-large wattage tube amps with great results, as long as they have a decent power supply. I'm thinking my Bottlehead 1-1/2 watt headphone amp may be a bit too light though. biggrin.gif For now using a high wattage/current SS amp with a tube buffer line stage, but would love to go the tube amp route.

The sensible part of me would want a class D amp for these speakers. It would be easy to live with then a tube amp, lower running and maintenance cost. Just not sure how it would sound with the KEF metal drivers.

The pairing I talked about, being well-reviewed...were LS-50s, with a Wyred4Sound mINT IA. I would have leaned class-D too; for their big, clean power. Seems like a perfect fit, for the LS-50s.

But keep this in mind: the LS-50s are incredibly inefficient. Sorry...I love 'em, like you guys do; but 85db is just plain paltry. When you're talking about getting a diaphragm moving...it's not just about sheer power; it's about current. So in some ways...I see class-D, as the exact antithesis, of tube power.

To me...class-D has big power, but no balls lol. Well-made tube amps...and someone mentioned power supply; small numbers sometimes, but lots of current. IDK; like I said...I think this speaker is really open to experimentation, with regard to amps.

post #652 of 1058 Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Try the isoacoustic stands, they are even better.
tractng likes this.
post #653 of 1058 Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM

Alright, I got the LS50 setup in a mid sized living room for a few days now, before that, it's a nearfield setup.

I can not believe how damn good they sound now. They sounded damn good before, but now they are just way beyond that

Also, LS50 sitting near the floor sounded like they are underwater, they really need to be elevated.
post #654 of 1058 Old 04-21-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

Alright, I got the LS50 setup in a mid sized living room for a few days now, before that, it's a nearfield setup.

I can not believe how damn good they sound now. They sounded damn good before, but now they are just way beyond that

Also, LS50 sitting near the floor sounded like they are underwater, they really need to be elevated.

What exactly do you mean..."near the floor"?? confused.gif

post #655 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:

What exactly do you mean..."near the floor"?? confused.gif

10 inch above the floor was a bad idea smile.gif
post #656 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

10 inch above the floor was a bad idea smile.gif

Not if you were listening...on your back. rolleyes.gif

Dude...tweeters at ear height, from your listening position; as a general rule of thumb, give or take. Yes...10" off the floor, and they are under-water!

post #657 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Ditto to CDs comments!! I found my 32" stands are the right "Ear" height for my speakers, from my listening position. In fact I might try the isoacoustic stands to raise them even a tad more.
post #658 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Got an itch to replace the Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I am starting to use the system more for music listening. Looking at the Peachtree 220 to integrate into my old AVR. i want a small footprint and nice looking box rolleyes.gif I will get a new AVR in the near future with HDMI 2.0.

Peachtree amp good match with the LS50?

Thanks.
post #659 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got an itch to replace the Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I am starting to use the system more for music listening. Looking at the Peachtree 220 to integrate into my old AVR. i want a small footprint and nice looking box rolleyes.gif I will get a new AVR in the near future with HDMI 2.0.

Peachtree amp good match with the LS50?

Thanks.

Yes, the Peachtree is a decent Amp, some of the older units that were Int. Amps had a HT bypass which was kind of nice, you could switch the HT switch on and the Int. Amp would act as a straight Power Amp, or when listening to music you could just use the Peachtree. There are some other manufactures out there that do this as well.
post #660 of 1058 Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

^Wondering if anyone has heard of or tried Van Alstine amps with their power hunger LS50? A little bit pricey, but there's a good write-up on it here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy_450.htm

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page