Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #841 of 868 Old 07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think these LS50s will make great Atmos speakers. It has such great sense of depth, especially in near-field applications, that they make the room disappear and just immerse you into that 3d soundfield. I even like it more for this, than their soundstage quality.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping that they come out with something that can be mounted on the ceiling as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 868 Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^I've talked to KEF and asked if the E301 satellites can be timber (voiced) matched with the LS50. The answer came back positive.

Haven't asked about the combination of LS50 + T301 wall mounted units.

I'm thinking either the E301 or T301 can be combined with the LS50 as the ceiling Atmos speakers for the new object based audio that's coming out in September of this year.

Depending on how fast the Atmos hype train moves along, it's going to be interesting times ahead for all of us.
SMHarman likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #843 of 868 Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just received a pair of LS50s to replace a 15 year old pair of Paradigm Studio 20s that have served me very well. This is for a music-only system in my home-office. I have no complaints about the Paradigms, they sound great. But I got the itch to try something new. Read a bunch of reviews...LS50 seemed like a contender.

I dont really have time or desire to go audition a bunch of speakers anymore, figured I can always return these to amazon if they aren't to my liking.

Plugged em in, and immediately knew these are keepers.

I suspect these will get me through the next 15 years just fine. The imaging, clarity and absolute deadness of the cabinet add up to something special. The cabinets of the paradigms are pretty solid, but nothing like the LS50. Bang your knuckles on the LS50 and its like hitting a black hole. Nothing returned.

The LS50 does not put out as much bass as the Studio 20's so I may add a sub. Heard good things about Rythmik... I listen to all types of music and some bass-heavy stuff sounded a little flat. But I will give my ears a chance to adjust to the KEFs before I decide. I had an SVS sub in here until recently (never really used it much for music), so I put it back in the HT room with its identical twin.

I am running these with just a mid-range Pioneer receiver (VSX-1014tx. 110W/channel.). Its also due for a upgrade, I was a little worried that it might sound like crap with these speakers. But that is not the case. I have considered upgrading to something like the Peachtree Nova125, but im not sure. Based on what I am hearing right now, I might just leave it as is.

Wow these sound good (listening as I write this post).

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2-cents.
schowtyme likes this.
post #844 of 868 Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LS 50 with sub and miniDSP DDRC-22D + NAD D3020

I have Sonos Connect > Toslink > miniDSP DDRC22D > Toslink > NAD D 3020 > LS 50 + SVS SB 1000

The combination works spectacularly well with QOBUZ FLAC streaming

The miniDSP does a superb job of integrating the sub with the LS50's. I have the sub crossover set at 70 Hz and the sub volume level so that the peak is at about + 10 db before correction.

The nine point measurement process is laborious, but once done you can design and try as many different room correction filters as you want. You are free to voice your system to what suits your room and your taste in music

You will need a Windows PC as the Dirac software is not available for MAC OS, but then you can Bootcamp
post #845 of 868 Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post
Just received a pair of LS50s to replace a 15 year old pair of Paradigm Studio 20s that have served me very well. This is for a music-only system in my home-office.
I found in my room, mid bass subs, properly set up with these, can do wonders with music material, like rock and pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
I have Sonos Connect > Toslink > miniDSP DDRC22D > Toslink > NAD D 3020 > LS 50 + SVS SB 1000

The combination works spectacularly well with QOBUZ FLAC streaming

The miniDSP does a superb job of integrating the sub with the LS50's. I have the sub crossover set at 70 Hz and the sub volume level so that the peak is at about + 10 db before correction.

The nine point measurement process is laborious, but once done you can design and try as many different room correction filters as you want. You are free to voice your system to what suits your room and your taste in music

You will need a Windows PC as the Dirac software is not available for MAC OS, but then you can Bootcamp
I was thinking of replacing my Behringer equipment I have in the digital chain with something from MiniDSP (was thinking of the NanoDIGI, but your model is obviously superior). Pulled the Behr stuff out recently due to a hiss developing. Would love to rig it so that I can high pass the KEFs.

Does this unit have any internal D/As? Also, are you using the internal volume control and have you noticed any big sonic degradation, when turning the level down low?

Right now my setup is a Squeezebox > CI DAC > passive pre/tube buffer > amp for KEFs and analog crossover for sub amps. I set the pre's volume control at a certain point and then tweak the volume with the Squeezebox.

Last edited by jkhome; 07-27-2014 at 05:02 AM.
post #846 of 868 Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello LS 50 fans and those looking for some info.

I am running a macmini via USB out to my new Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp which has a built in USB DAC. I switched out my Cambridge Audio 651A which also had a built in DAC. End result is fantastic, tons of refined power with finesse. The DAC is obviously much better in the 1570 and the difference in bass response is just exceptional, much more well defined taught, deep bass.

One thing I have noticed is just how much more "musical" the system sounds, I have never heard a 2 channel rig "that I own" sound so engaging and makes you want to keep listening. So many albums that sounded awful are now quite enjoyable to listen to, mostly older recordings from way back when such as Ray Charles " Original motion picture soundtrack", had the wife and my toe's tapping through the whole album last night.

I guess you get what you pay for in some cases and as I have found out, the LS 50's really sound their best with a well made amp with lots of juice.

Listening set up is speakers 6' apart and primary seating is the same equilateral triangle, speakers are 24" from rear and side walls. Room size is very large so perhaps a smaller room would not need so much power.

Just my two cents for my set up in my room.

Cheers and enjoy the hobby everyone!
post #847 of 868 Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

Does this unit have any internal D/As?

Also, are you using the internal volume control and have you noticed any big sonic degradation, when turning the level down low?

Right now my setup is a Squeezebox > CI DAC > passive pre/tube buffer > amp for KEFs and analog crossover for sub amps. I set the pre's volume control at a certain point and then tweak the volume with the Squeezebox.
DDRC-22 comes in a digital > digital version and a analog > analog version. Coming soon will be a digital > analog version

I have not tested the internal volume control on the DDRC, but have been using the volume control on the NAD D3020
post #848 of 868 Old 08-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It is still unbelievable to me how good the KEF LS50 can sound. Every step in the chain when done right leads to massive improvement in the sound, even when you thought it can not be improved further. Start from a clean source, to a clean/powerful pre-amp, to amp, and finally to the LS50 on top of a immovable stand positioned and angled correctly.

Here is an easy way to tell if you are there, can you tell the difference between mp3 and lossless? Do you encounter "crappy" recording? Is there a tradeoff between voice coherence and sound stage?
post #849 of 868 Old 08-06-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't answer the first question, all my stuff is on FLAC. But these speakers IMHO actually do better with most of my recordings, much better than the old Maggies did. And I don't consider the KEFs forgiving. I've read of folks who have changed their musical tastes, to accommodate those dipole panels (which is BS).

Sure there are a few crappy recordings that still hurt the ears (U2's Actung Baby, Zoo Station ), but even that one is actually listenable on the KEFs (after a few beers).

Definitely no trade off in voice coherence and soundstage. That is one of the first things I noticed with these speaker..I could understand all the lyrics now!

Last edited by jkhome; 08-06-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #850 of 868 Old 08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I am very satisfied with my desktop system since the addition of a tube preamp. My system finally seems to have very good synergy. These are definitely the best nearfield monitors I have ever used. Only wish they would extend a little lower. Will probably be adding a Velo DD10 plus down the line...
post #851 of 868 Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I am very satisfied with my desktop system since the addition of a tube preamp. My system finally seems to have very good synergy. These are definitely the best nearfield monitors I have ever used. Only wish they would extend a little lower. Will probably be adding a Velo DD10 plus down the line...
Which preamp? I am still going back and forth in finding something to drive these.
post #852 of 868 Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Curious how many of you are using the LS50 as a near field system? How would you rate the imaging and the overall experience as a near field monitor and have you compared it to other monitors which were designed for that purpose (Adam, Yamaha, etc)

The reason for my question, As a Kef dealer I am asked about the LS50 as a near field monitor. Although it's heritage (the LS3) was a near field monitor, I couldn't comment on the LS50 under the same conditions. I plan to setup a demo room with the LS50 in a desktop/near field arrangement as it seems to be very popular.

Would love feedback from current owners.

Tony

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #853 of 868 Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Curious how many of you are using the LS50 as a near field system? How would you rate the imaging and the overall experience as a near field monitor and have you compared it to other monitors which were designed for that purpose (Adam, Yamaha, etc)

The reason for my question, As a Kef dealer I am asked about the LS50 as a near field monitor. Although it's heritage (the LS3) was a near field monitor, I couldn't comment on the LS50 under the same conditions. I plan to setup a demo room with the LS50 in a desktop/near field arrangement as it seems to be very popular.

Would love feedback from current owners.

Tony
Mine are 7-8 feet away, on stands, which is pretty close, but I guess not really considered nearfield. At least for small monitors.
post #854 of 868 Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine are used in a desktop system. See link in my sig for pictures and gear used with them. I love these speakers. The music just flows out of them. I previously used Paradigm Signature S1s. The LS50s are better. Music sounds more real while still very detailed like the S1s. With the LS50s I get more of a being there feeling. Also I noticed being able to discern differences in the rooms where the music was recorded.
post #855 of 868 Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Mine are used in a desktop system. See link in my sig for pictures and gear used with them. I love these speakers. The music just flows out of them. I previously used Paradigm Signature S1s. The LS50s are better. Music sounds more real while still very detailed like the S1s. With the LS50s I get more of a being there feeling. Also I noticed being able to discern differences in the rooms where the music was recorded.
Great setup Drew. Very nice.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #856 of 868 Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEFAmerica View Post
Hi,
KEF doesn't recommend any specific accompanying equipment (amps, stands, cables, DACs...etc.) since everyone's needs and preference are different.

Sincerely,

KEF America

Any experience with Pioneer SC-79 and LS 50 how is the sound? I have seven LS50
post #857 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a pair of these ls50 speakers. Before I had the b&w 685's which are also still very good speakers for the money. But after reading a lot of good reviews I had to audition the kefs. The difference with the ls50 speakers is really remarkeable, especially in the high tones.

At this moment the ls50 speakers are connected to my Marantz sr5008 receiver (100 watts 8ohm). I 'm just not that sure if an AVR is good enough for stereo use. Could I benefit by upgrading to another integrated amp by means of sound quality? I really want tp get the best out of these speakers.
post #858 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up 7 KEFs in surround sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Curious how many of you are using the LS50 as a near field system? How would you rate the imaging and the overall experience as a near field monitor and have you compared it to other monitors which were designed for that purpose (Adam, Yamaha, etc) The reason for my question, As a Kef dealer I am asked about the LS50 as a near field monitor. Although it's heritage (the LS3) was a near field monitor, I couldn't comment on the LS50 under the same conditions. I plan to setup a demo room with the LS50 in a desktop/near field arrangement as it seems to be very popular. Would love feedback from current owners. Tony
7 KEFs in surround sound: Fronts are six feet away, side are 4 feet away is all I can say
post #859 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWortel View Post
I just bought a pair of these ls50 speakers. Before I had the b&w 685's which are also still very good speakers for the money. But after reading a lot of good reviews I had to audition the kefs. The difference with the ls50 speakers is really remarkeable, especially in the high tones.

At this moment the ls50 speakers are connected to my Marantz sr5008 receiver (100 watts 8ohm). I 'm just not that sure if an AVR is good enough for stereo use. Could I benefit by upgrading to another integrated amp by means of sound quality? I really want tp get the best out of these speakers.
Short answer, most definitely.
post #860 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Short answer, most definitely.
Is the Nad d3020 a good match? I m just a little bit affraid it doesnt has enough power (30 watt) I dont want hurt these speakers
post #861 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the Nad d3020 a good match? I m just a little bit affraid it doesnt has enough power (30 watt) I dont want hurt these speakers
Not sure about that specific model but I have read a lot of good things about the Rega Brio R paired with the LS50s.
post #862 of 868 Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

WillyWortel,

Your Marantz SR-5008 has a 7-channel amp with bass management and Audyssey room equalization. When operating in 2-channel mode, it's rated to 100W per channel with a low THD of 0.08%.

The LS-50 are rated at 100W of continuous power so the SR-5008 is a good match here.

If you're sitting near field to the LS-50 and only use the two of the seven amps, I have some doubt you'll be able to hear much of difference between the Marantz and others in a blind objective listening test. The following should be considered.

(1) Bass management feature of the SR-5008, where you can direct the low frequencies (80Hz and lower) to a sub to produce the clean lower octaves. This can be important for getting that in your chest feeling that clean tight bass provides in the room. Note that the lower F3 of the LS-50 is 79Hz. If you're trying push the LS-50 to produce more output below it's rated frequencies, expect two things to occur: (a) more distortion and (b) higher power demand from the amp.

(2) Room equalization where levels, delays are applied based on your Main Listening Position and filters (PEQ) are applied to correct for the room. If your room is not treated or the listening position is less than ideal Audyssey will try and compensate for this. Some purists (audiophiles) don't like this and insist on perfection. If you go down this path, expect to spend large amounts of money chasing minute improvements.

Features (1) and (2) have a impact to sound quality and are not readily available on most integrated (including the rega brio r) amps. Modern AVRs do.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #863 of 868 Old 08-13-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Any experience with Pioneer SC-79 and LS 50 how is the sound? I have seven LS50
Also interested in this answer ...
post #864 of 868 Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
I think these LS50s will make great Atmos speakers. It has such great sense of depth, especially in near-field applications, that they make the room disappear and just immerse you into that 3d soundfield. I even like it more for this, than their soundstage quality.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping that they come out with something that can be mounted on the ceiling as well.
How about using these high on the wall

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #865 of 868 Old 08-22-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
How about using these high on the wall

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
These same wall mounts appear to be sold under several different names.

I have my pair of LS50's wall mounted on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know its not ideal placement, but I have no other options in my home office. They still sound very good.
post #866 of 868 Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

KEF LS50s from what i heard in demo room was also pretty transparent so you will definately benefit from seperates.
post #867 of 868 Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
I think these LS50s will make great Atmos speakers. It has such great sense of depth, especially in near-field applications, that they make the room disappear and just immerse you into that 3d soundfield. I even like it more for this, than their soundstage quality. Anyhow, I'm really hoping that they come out with something that can be mounted on the ceiling as well.
Here you are these show match very well http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/...0RR/index.html

My only issue is I don't want to pay $500 additional for install to have them in the ceiling!
post #868 of 868 Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post
KEF LS50s from what i heard in demo room was also pretty transparent so you will definitely benefit from separates.
As long as your separate are beefy enough
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page