Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #841 of 847 Old 07-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think these LS50s will make great Atmos speakers. It has such great sense of depth, especially in near-field applications, that they make the room disappear and just immerse you into that 3d soundfield. I even like it more for this, than their soundstage quality.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping that they come out with something that can be mounted on the ceiling as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 847 Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 60
^I've talked to KEF and asked if the E301 satellites can be timber (voiced) matched with the LS50. The answer came back positive.

Haven't asked about the combination of LS50 + T301 wall mounted units.

I'm thinking either the E301 or T301 can be combined with the LS50 as the ceiling Atmos speakers for the new object based audio that's coming out in September of this year.

Depending on how fast the Atmos hype train moves along, it's going to be interesting times ahead for all of us.
SMHarman likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #843 of 847 Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just received a pair of LS50s to replace a 15 year old pair of Paradigm Studio 20s that have served me very well. This is for a music-only system in my home-office. I have no complaints about the Paradigms, they sound great. But I got the itch to try something new. Read a bunch of reviews...LS50 seemed like a contender.

I dont really have time or desire to go audition a bunch of speakers anymore, figured I can always return these to amazon if they aren't to my liking.

Plugged em in, and immediately knew these are keepers.

I suspect these will get me through the next 15 years just fine. The imaging, clarity and absolute deadness of the cabinet add up to something special. The cabinets of the paradigms are pretty solid, but nothing like the LS50. Bang your knuckles on the LS50 and its like hitting a black hole. Nothing returned.

The LS50 does not put out as much bass as the Studio 20's so I may add a sub. Heard good things about Rythmik... I listen to all types of music and some bass-heavy stuff sounded a little flat. But I will give my ears a chance to adjust to the KEFs before I decide. I had an SVS sub in here until recently (never really used it much for music), so I put it back in the HT room with its identical twin.

I am running these with just a mid-range Pioneer receiver (VSX-1014tx. 110W/channel.). Its also due for a upgrade, I was a little worried that it might sound like crap with these speakers. But that is not the case. I have considered upgrading to something like the Peachtree Nova125, but im not sure. Based on what I am hearing right now, I might just leave it as is.

Wow these sound good (listening as I write this post).

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2-cents.
schowtyme likes this.
post #844 of 847 Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Liked: 10
LS 50 with sub and miniDSP DDRC-22D + NAD D3020

I have Sonos Connect > Toslink > miniDSP DDRC22D > Toslink > NAD D 3020 > LS 50 + SVS SB 1000

The combination works spectacularly well with QOBUZ FLAC streaming

The miniDSP does a superb job of integrating the sub with the LS50's. I have the sub crossover set at 70 Hz and the sub volume level so that the peak is at about + 10 db before correction.

The nine point measurement process is laborious, but once done you can design and try as many different room correction filters as you want. You are free to voice your system to what suits your room and your taste in music

You will need a Windows PC as the Dirac software is not available for MAC OS, but then you can Bootcamp
post #845 of 847 Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post
Just received a pair of LS50s to replace a 15 year old pair of Paradigm Studio 20s that have served me very well. This is for a music-only system in my home-office.
I found in my room, mid bass subs, properly set up with these, can do wonders with music material, like rock and pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
I have Sonos Connect > Toslink > miniDSP DDRC22D > Toslink > NAD D 3020 > LS 50 + SVS SB 1000

The combination works spectacularly well with QOBUZ FLAC streaming

The miniDSP does a superb job of integrating the sub with the LS50's. I have the sub crossover set at 70 Hz and the sub volume level so that the peak is at about + 10 db before correction.

The nine point measurement process is laborious, but once done you can design and try as many different room correction filters as you want. You are free to voice your system to what suits your room and your taste in music

You will need a Windows PC as the Dirac software is not available for MAC OS, but then you can Bootcamp
I was thinking of replacing my Behringer equipment I have in the digital chain with something from MiniDSP (was thinking of the NanoDIGI, but your model is obviously superior). Pulled the Behr stuff out recently due to a hiss developing. Would love to rig it so that I can high pass the KEFs.

Does this unit have any internal D/As? Also, are you using the internal volume control and have you noticed any big sonic degradation, when turning the level down low?

Right now my setup is a Squeezebox > CI DAC > passive pre/tube buffer > amp for KEFs and analog crossover for sub amps. I set the pre's volume control at a certain point and then tweak the volume with the Squeezebox.

Last edited by jkhome; 07-27-2014 at 05:02 AM.
post #846 of 847 Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello LS 50 fans and those looking for some info.

I am running a macmini via USB out to my new Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp which has a built in USB DAC. I switched out my Cambridge Audio 651A which also had a built in DAC. End result is fantastic, tons of refined power with finesse. The DAC is obviously much better in the 1570 and the difference in bass response is just exceptional, much more well defined taught, deep bass.

One thing I have noticed is just how much more "musical" the system sounds, I have never heard a 2 channel rig "that I own" sound so engaging and makes you want to keep listening. So many albums that sounded awful are now quite enjoyable to listen to, mostly older recordings from way back when such as Ray Charles " Original motion picture soundtrack", had the wife and my toe's tapping through the whole album last night.

I guess you get what you pay for in some cases and as I have found out, the LS 50's really sound their best with a well made amp with lots of juice.

Listening set up is speakers 6' apart and primary seating is the same equilateral triangle, speakers are 24" from rear and side walls. Room size is very large so perhaps a smaller room would not need so much power.

Just my two cents for my set up in my room.

Cheers and enjoy the hobby everyone!
post #847 of 847 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

Does this unit have any internal D/As?

Also, are you using the internal volume control and have you noticed any big sonic degradation, when turning the level down low?

Right now my setup is a Squeezebox > CI DAC > passive pre/tube buffer > amp for KEFs and analog crossover for sub amps. I set the pre's volume control at a certain point and then tweak the volume with the Squeezebox.
DDRC-22 comes in a digital > digital version and a analog > analog version. Coming soon will be a digital > analog version

I have not tested the internal volume control on the DDRC, but have been using the volume control on the NAD D3020
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page