post #1081 of 1136 Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanhk View Post
Thanks Steve. Ceiling height is about 9 feet.

Do you think the KEF T2 subwoofer (250W) is sufficient?
ricemanhk,

Total room volume is about 2,200 cu. ft. which works out to be on small to medium sized room. I'd go something a bit better than the KEF T2, as the 10" driver and limited frequency range isn't appealing. Look for a pair of 12" subs from the following ID companies.
  • Rythmik
  • SVS
  • PSA
  • HSU
  • Reaction Audio

Others might want to chime in on their favorite sub supplier recommendations.

Forgot to answer your question regarding speaker setup. If you're interested in Atmos the following speaker configuration for a 5.1.4 setup shows the angles.

The often posted Denon/Marantz Atmos diagram:

Maranatz SR-7009(on order), Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 11-23-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: additional text for and picture for clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1136 Old 11-27-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Going to have to agree with the manual's 45 degree toe-in, it helps to preserve the most bass dynamics at the listening position, which is the LS50's weakest spot.
I also find the speaker's high treble performance gains from this also, along with the soundstage and imaging.

In my room, where I have to sit fairly close to the rear wall (at a desk/bookcase combo ), aiming the speakers right at the chair caused some excessive high frequency reflections. So now I place a couple of 2' x 2' x 4" absorber panels, side by side on the desk when critically listening. Made probably one of the biggest improvements of all the room treatments placed in the room.

In the future this furniture will be out of there, so I can do something more permanent on that wall. Probably try some skyline diffusers.

Of all the discussions about room treatments, the rear wall gets the least amount of "press", but it is the wall that gets the largest amount of energy blasted at it.

Last edited by jkhome; 11-27-2014 at 04:56 AM.
post #1083 of 1136 Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm considering the REL T5 sub to match with Marantz SR7009 and 3x LS50s for FL/C/FR and 2x KEF E301 for surrounds. I would use the system for about 60% music (2.0 or 2.1) and 40% movies.

Questions:
- my room is around 200 sq foot, would the T5 be sufficient? I don't need alot of thump (it's an apartment so don't want neighbors complaining either)
- I know REL subs can do LFE + high level input. With the AVR, do I still need to use the high level input or just let the AVR/audyssey manage the bass crossover through the LFE input only?
- If using high level input with the LS50, would there be any problems running the LS50 full range? I know the LS50s aren't very flat below 79Hz, and they can also get down to 4 ohms for lower frequencies so I originally wanted to pass all of the lower frequencies to the sub so there's more headroom in the AVR for the LS50s.

Thanks!

Last edited by ricemanhk; 11-28-2014 at 12:26 AM.
post #1084 of 1136 Old 11-28-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemanhk View Post
I'm considering the REL T5 sub to match with Marantz SR7009 and 3x LS50s for FL/C/FR and 2x KEF E301 for surrounds. I would use the system for about 60% music (2.0 or 2.1) and 40% movies.

Questions:
- my room is around 200 sq foot, would the T5 be sufficient? I don't need alot of thump (it's an apartment so don't want neighbors complaining either)
- I know REL subs can do LFE + high level input. With the AVR, do I still need to use the high level input or just let the AVR/audyssey manage the bass crossover through the LFE input only?
- If using high level input with the LS50, would there be any problems running the LS50 full range? I know the LS50s aren't very flat below 79khz, and they can also get down to 4 ohms for lower frequencies so I originally wanted to pass all of the lower frequencies to the sub so there's more headroom in the AVR for the LS50s.

Thanks!
Measurements for the REL T5 sub is here: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

Take away is roll off of -3dB at 43Hz. This isn't great and questionable for the T5 to reproduce the bass guitar's E1 note at 41Hz cleanly. Refer to frequency spectrum of musical instruments here: http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

Maranatz SR-7009(on order), Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1085 of 1136 Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks! There were some interesting use of Hockey Pucks and Cement Blocks on there! LOL

Anyone use these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ics-technology

Here is my setup in my office, but I want a decent stand to move into my main room.....

[/QUOTE]

What are you using under the LS50´s? Are they foam or cork?

Thanks!
post #1086 of 1136 Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
How could I mount the LS50 on the ceiling!
post #1087 of 1136 Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Thanks! There were some interesting use of Hockey Pucks and Cement Blocks on there! LOL

Anyone use these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ics-technology

Here is my setup in my office, but I want a decent stand to move into my main room.....

What are you using under the LS50´s? Are they foam or cork?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Primacoustic RX7 Recoil Stabilizers
post #1088 of 1136 Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Hello guys:

I currently own a 9.2 setup comprising all 9 KHT 3005SE satellites and 2 HTB2 subs. Connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-75 receiver with D3 class amps. I love it but I feel i´m ready for an upgrade and I reaaaaaally want this LS50´s for fronts. I used them equally for both movies and music.

Room is 15" x 13".

Questions:

1. Will my current 3005 satellites and center channel be a good pair to the LS50? They all have the Uni Q technology too.
2. I know the HTB2 is not that well regarded here, but considering the medium size of my room and that I would be using 2 of them, would they serve me well?
3. I will buy a Denon or Marantz receiver, with XT32 for room calibration, in the near future, and the Marantz MM 7055 (5 channel amp) to run solely the LS50, but in the meantime is the Elite a good match? It boats 140 wpc and has been driving the 3005 effortlessly.

Thanks!
post #1089 of 1136 Old 12-02-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Surrounds should be fine but I would definitely do a third LS50 for the front stage.
post #1090 of 1136 Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello guys:

I currently own a 9.2 setup comprising all 9 KHT 3005SE satellites and 2 HTB2 subs. Connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-75 receiver with D3 class amps. I love it but I feel i´m ready for an upgrade and I reaaaaaally want this LS50´s for fronts. I used them equally for both movies and music.

Room is 15" x 13".

Questions:

1. Will my current 3005 satellites and center channel be a good pair to the LS50? They all have the Uni Q technology too.
2. I know the HTB2 is not that well regarded here, but considering the medium size of my room and that I would be using 2 of them, would they serve me well?
3. I will buy a Denon or Marantz receiver, with XT32 for room calibration, in the near future, and the Marantz MM 7055 (5 channel amp) to run solely the LS50, but in the meantime is the Elite a good match? It boats 140 wpc and has been driving the 3005 effortlessly.

Thanks!
Hi xhattan,

1. If you run Audyssey, it will equalize each speaker to a target curve. As such when listening with Audyssey engaged, you might not hear much of a difference. In DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode, there is no equalization applied and as such you may hear an audible difference. Having the same brand and range of speaker makes the audible differences smaller.
2. Each HTB2 sub has a 10" driver. Whether a pair is okay is very dependent on room volume. Your floor area is 195 sq. ft. What is the floor to ceiling dimensions? If it's around 8', then a pair of 10" drivers placed in the appropriate location should give you sufficient output. My only concern is the lower frequency range being 30Hz, KEF didn't specify if this is the -3dB point.
3. How far away from the speakers do you sit? This is commonly referred to as the Main Listening Position (MLP) and generally getting to reference level means reaching peak SPL of 105dB. Amplification power is dependent on speaker sensitivity and the 'throw' distance to the listener. If you can't achieve this, you'll have to move the speakers a bit closer, turn the volume down or limit the power output. The decision to go with external amplification should be based on the ability to achieve reference level.

post #1091 of 1136 Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi xhattan,

1. If you run Audyssey, it will equalize each speaker to a target curve. As such when listening with Audyssey engaged, you might not hear much of a difference. In DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode, there is no equalization applied and as such you may hear an audible difference. Having the same brand and range of speaker makes the audible differences smaller.
2. Each HTB2 sub has a 10" driver. Whether a pair is okay is very dependent on room volume. Your floor area is 195 sq. ft. What is the floor to ceiling dimensions? If it's around 8', then a pair of 10" drivers placed in the appropriate location should give you sufficient output. My only concern is the lower frequency range being 30Hz, KEF didn't specify if this is the -3dB point.
3. How far away from the speakers do you sit? This is commonly referred to as the Main Listening Position (MLP) and generally getting to reference level means reaching peak SPL of 105dB. Amplification power is dependent on speaker sensitivity and the 'throw' distance to the listener. If you can't achieve this, you'll have to move the speakers a bit closer, turn the volume down or limit the power output. The decision to go with external amplification should be based on the ability to achieve reference level.

Thanks a lot Steve. Just some minors inquiries about your comments:

1. Does this means that Audyssey will upgrade the sound of my 3005 eggs or downgrade the sound of the LS50? The eggs are very good speakers and play at reference levels or above with no stress or distortion whatsoever, warm and very detailed sound. Blend perfectlly with the HTB2SE and the Elite AVR.

2. KEF´s webpage states that the 30Hz frequency is (+/-3db) for the HTB2SE sub. My ceiling is 8" high and one sub would be on the front and the other at the back of the room.

3. MLP is 9". As I said, movies and music at reference level (not very often, only when I´m alone) sound great, usually in Direct Mode or in a THX mode. So, are you saying that maybe I don´t need an amplifier and a top of the line Denon or Marantz can do the job on their own?

Again, thanks a lot pal.
post #1092 of 1136 Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Surrounds should be fine but I would definitely do a third LS50 for the front stage.

Thanks Drew!

Out of budget, but would consider if I don´t have to buy a new amp or receiver. Hell, I would go for the full 5 LS50 package and 6 of the 3005 eggs for wides and Atmos for full 7.2.4 setup!

Hummmm..... Maybe if I swap the Elite for the Denon X4100 and get the Marantz MM7055 for extra channels. Oh man, and get a divorce now that I´m at it!
post #1093 of 1136 Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Thanks Drew!

Out of budget, but would consider if I don´t have to buy a new amp or receiver. Hell, I would go for the full 5 LS50 package and 6 of the 3005 eggs for wides and Atmos for full 7.2.4 setup!

Hummmm..... Maybe if I swap the Elite for the Denon X4100 and get the Marantz MM7055 for extra channels. Oh man, and get a divorce now that I´m at it!

If your 3005 doesn't gel as a center with the LS50s you can always run a phantom center. I don't have a center and, honestly, do not miss it.
post #1094 of 1136 Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot Steve. Just some minors inquiries about your comments:

1. Does this means that Audyssey will upgrade the sound of my 3005 eggs or downgrade the sound of the LS50? The eggs are very good speakers and play at reference levels or above with no stress or distortion whatsoever, warm and very detailed sound. Blend perfectlly with the HTB2SE and the Elite AVR.

2. KEF´s webpage states that the 30Hz frequency is (+/-3db) for the HTB2SE sub. My ceiling is 8" high and one sub would be on the front and the other at the back of the room.

3. MLP is 9". As I said, movies and music at reference level (not very often, only when I´m alone) sound great, usually in Direct Mode or in a THX mode. So, are you saying that maybe I don´t need an amplifier and a top of the line Denon or Marantz can do the job on their own?

Again, thanks a lot pal.
1. No it won't up-grade the KEF 3005 eggs nor downgrade the KEF LS50. What room equalization (REQ) does is compensation for the room anomalies based on a target curve. This is done via test tones from the speaker and received at the microphone which is then processed via algorithms on the receiver and implemented in real time by the DSP chips. The correction applied to each speaker is like the inverse function of the actual received signals by the microphone in the form of minimum phase filters. For example - a 10dB peak at 250Hz is brought down to the target curve or a 10dB dip at 80Hz is brought up by 6dB to the target curve. This will then smooth the in-room response for each speaker so that each speaker is equalized to a target curve, thus they tend to sound similar.

2. Was looking at the owners manual for the HTB2SE sub, but good to know that 30Hz is the -3dB point. If you haven't done so already, a simple sub crawl test as outlined in the following youtube video by Axiom Audio will give options on where to put the sub in the room:

3. Using the following web app: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html, with the LS50 speaker sensitivity of 85dB/W/m, MLP being 9' away and assuming the speakers are corner loaded to the wall (1.5' to 2') in a two-channel stereo setup configuration the power requirement on a per channel basis is 95W to reach a peak of 105dB at the MLP.

If you use the same speakers for the front sound stage consisting of LS50 (i.e. front left, center and front right), then on a per channel basis the power requirement is just 63W to reach a peak of 105dB at the MLP.

Going with all LS50 in a 5.0 surround sound setup, the power requirement on a per channel basis is just 38W to reach 105dB peak at the MLP.

These are easily achievable with most modern receivers (such as Denon/Marantz) and within the power limits of the LS50. So yes, you don't need external amp in this setup. The important factor is placement of the speakers in the room and the 'throw' distance between the speaker and the MLP. Changing these parameters will drastically change the amp power requirements. Note that KEF has stated that the LS50 has a maximum continuous power rating of just 100W and exceeding this may damage the driver.

Additional note, most people will find listening at reference level to be too loud and uncomfortable. Generally the Main Volume is set much lower than this (around -20dB) and this helps reduce the power demand of the amp by a factor of 100x less. I.e. less than 1W in 2-channel mode given the calculations above.

post #1095 of 1136 Old 12-05-2014, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Are these speakers still highly regarded or is there better for the money these days? How do they compare to the Ascend Sierra 1 or 2's for example, which are bookshelf speakers I've also considered?
post #1096 of 1136 Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would also like to know the compare to SVS Ultra bookshelfs if anyone has listened to them. Are these seriously music speakers or could be used for movies too? My dealer just demoed the music piece as he had not home theater set up. How is the LS 50 as a center speaker? I believe you can keep this horizontally?
post #1097 of 1136 Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post
I would also like to know the compare to SVS Ultra bookshelfs if anyone has listened to them. Are these seriously music speakers or could be used for movies too? My dealer just demoed the music piece as he had not home theater set up. How is the LS 50 as a center speaker? I believe you can keep this horizontally?

These are originally intended to be music speakers That's why they are marketed a monitors primarily and not HT speakers. With that said, several of us have purchased multiples for HT use and it works great. Personally I have them hooked up to a Marantz AVR and am very satisfied for both music/HT usage. Others probably have more sophisticated setups. Works great as a center speaker, my frontstage is seamless, and I've heard there is no issue placing these horizontally because of its single woofer uni-q design.

PSN: dagreeng
post #1098 of 1136 Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You really can't do much better than the LS50 at that price point. It's also possible to order a half pair and mount the LS50 horizontally. The UniQ driver is not sensitive to orientation.
sdg4vfx likes this.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #1099 of 1136 Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Mr. SoftDome: My mistake as that is a quote but the picture came up different! LOL

To answer xhattan questions: Rubber on metal on foam, and they sound quite preform quite good on those bookshelf stands!

Last edited by Garman; 12-08-2014 at 10:48 PM.
post #1100 of 1136 Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm curious for those who have tried it, have you been satisfied with using a pair of LS50's as rears for movies and multichannel audio, or regretted that decision? Given the recent sale price of LS50 vs R100 seemed like a no brainer to me.
post #1101 of 1136 Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Liked: 11
Amp help

Hi,
I just bought a LS50 pair and the Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp.
Do you think I have something to worry about this combo? I ask because this LS50 are considered high end speakers, unlike the Yamaha amp.
Specs-wise I don't see a problem, do you see it that way?
I'll appreciate any comments. I sold a Parasound 2100 + Parasound 2125 set and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. I'm talking about sound quality, not spl. This will be my 2.0 bedroom system.
Regards,
Rodolfo
post #1102 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Hi LS50 users.....

am currently using KEF R700 as mains, R600c center and R300 as surrounds. using 2 x TC Sounds 5400 ultra as subs and behringer 6k DSP as bass management.

wanted to put front height and rear height speakers to use future Auro 3D setup (and possibly atmos).. i am deciding to use what speakers.... should i use LS50, E301, R100 or R300? or can the T series match what i am having?

can more experience people here give me some advise??
post #1103 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec93 View Post
Hi,
Do you think I have something to worry about this combo? I ask because this LS50 are considered high end speakers, unlike the Yamaha amp.
I'll appreciate any comments. I sold a Parasound 2100 + Parasound 2125 set and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. I'm talking about sound quality, not spl. This will be my 2.0 bedroom system.
Regards,
Rodolfo
Yamaha A-S500 is as good as any other amp with similar specs, just cheaper

My LSs are beautifully powered by an old HK3485.
post #1104 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi,
Regards,
Rodolfo
That amp will work just fine for you. It has more than enough power and the frequency bandwidth is great as are the distortion numbers. The real test will be your content quality and the quality of DAC if you will use digital content.
post #1105 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post
Yamaha A-S500 is as good as any other amp with similar specs, just cheaper

My LSs are beautifully powered by an old HK3485.
Thanks Galvs,
That HK3485 is very well regarded by many.
I hope the Yamaha is as good as that one.
post #1106 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
That amp will work just fine for you. It has more than enough power and the frequency bandwidth is great as are the distortion numbers. The real test will be your content quality and the quality of DAC if you will use digital content.
Hi Mlknez,
Sources:
Flac files stored in NAS to Squeezebox touch through a Wyred4sound DAC-2.
Cheap Sony blu-ray player through same DAC.
I'm not so convinced about the need of this DAC now, but I can't sell it in my country, then it's available.
Thanks,
post #1107 of 1136 Old 12-10-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaun View Post
I'm curious for those who have tried it, have you been satisfied with using a pair of LS50's as rears for movies and multichannel audio, or regretted that decision? Given the recent sale price of LS50 vs R100 seemed like a no brainer to me.

I enjoy mine very much, but I have had space issues with these as rears. These aren't tiny speakers.

post #1108 of 1136 Old 12-11-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Hi,
Regards,
Rodolfo
A couple of folks on the Audio Karma LS50 thread state they are very happy with their Yamaha AS2000 amps on the KEFs.
post #1109 of 1136 Old 12-13-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm very proud to join this club and post here. I picked up a pair of these today and am just floored. They are currently set up in my living room while I finish my basement, so by no means are they being well powered (Denon X2000). But.....WOW. Tears in Heaven by Clapton stopped me in my tracks. I'm looking forward to building out a more robust system and getting them powered, but until then I'm going to enjoy break in!

Also, kind of funny, the guy at the audio store carried them out to my car and said that it just felt right to load such British heritage into my Range Rover.

Shameless pic after unboxing

post #1110 of 1136 Old 12-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb151 View Post
I'm very proud to join this club and post here. I picked up a pair of these today and am just floored. They are currently set up in my living room while I finish my basement, so by no means are they being well powered (Denon X2000). But.....WOW. Tears in Heaven by Clapton stopped me in my tracks. I'm looking forward to building out a more robust system and getting them powered, but until then I'm going to enjoy break in!

Also, kind of funny, the guy at the audio store carried them out to my car and said that it just felt right to load such British heritage into my Range Rover.

Shameless pic after unboxing

Congrats an welcome to the club! I felt the same when i got mine set up for the first time. Are the ones they sell still branded 50th anniversary?

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System